Carp from Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOUGHNANE

Any of you English boyz had any carp when you've been on your fishing trips over here?
Cheers
*scott*

n00b

bream slime
i always said the day i catch a carp in the rivers and lakes in eire will be the day i will never go back..would be very sad day indeed..i go to eire every year to get away from carp and the bivvy boys in their army gear:)..bream are me fave fish..

'get it's head up'

Stu Dav

Davi
It won't be long before some skp's get into the river systems and it wouldn't surprise me if they are allready there.
Who is gonner have the balls to sit for a week using boilies thinking the nearest carp could be a single fish that is ten miles away, if theres tench there must be carp.I must be honest and say that I have never heard of anyone catching carp though,but it will happen oneday.
Who would have thought you would be catching Chub and Barbel on still waters ten years ago but look at it now its the norm !!
Stu Dav

chris63

quote:Originally posted by LOUGHNANE

Any of you English boyz had any carp when you've been on your fishing trips over here?
Cheers
*scott*

I fished Inniscara about 8 years ago. Was messing around with a whip catching small roach/rudd/hybrids when along came a perfect little Carp of about 3oz. During the couse of the day I must have had over 50 of these. They were all beautiful fish, mirrors and commons, and i imagine would have now grown to a few pounds or more in weight.

Has anyone else come across these on there?

chris

Catch ya soon

scales

Vinny
I really hope they never take a hold in Ireland !!

cheers,

Scales,

Every angler knows his Plaice.

LOUGHNANE

Scales,
carping is getting bigger and bigger over here.You english are just so spoilt for choice,you dont realise how good u got it.We have about 10 lakes that hold a good head of carp-we are starved over here.
I just put up the post wondering did anyone stumple across any unknown pastures while on their travel's!
*scott*

chris63

quote:Originally posted by LOUGHNANE

Scales,

I just put up the post wondering did anyone stumple across any unknown pastures while on their travel's!
*scott*

Is Inniscara a known or unknown pasture?

Catch ya soon

Simon R

Site Supporter
The only place I ever came across carp in Ireland is that little pond near Mullingar. I only fished it once (in 1989) and the 'bivvy brigade' were in evidence then.

I guess it's fairly well known in Irish carping circles.

Simon

iobrien2002

Paddy
i didn't think they had many carp over there

Datafile3.asp

Alcohol alcoholic2.gif :The cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems.[B)]

Tinca

I'm afraid to say that carp in Ireland is now taking off in a big way and that little pond near Mulligar that you mentioned "garmilestown" has now become a day ticket venue.
As most of you probably know there has been a ban on stocking carp in Ireland for some time but it's been lifted.
Only two weeks ago the canal not far from where I live was stocked with carp and I could name 20 places you can now find them.
I was under the impression this would be a good thing but living here myself and seeing what it's caused has changed my opinion totally. I'm a tench and bream man myself but wouldn't turn up the chance to stalk a big carp. But the bive lot drive me mad and I don't mean that on a personal level to anyone that owns one... but I can't understand the mentality of these types. They have so little respect for the bank side and there ends never justify their means.
Glad to hear so many UK anglers have come over here and loved it.
I'm doing a lot of fishing in Monahan/Meath/Louth lately if anyone needs any info on the area.

Adam S

Account Locked
Hello All

Chris Im not too sure what size they go to as I only target carp in this country now and then for a change, I believe fish to at least double figures have come out but scott could tell you better than me.

Galmoylestown is that pond near mullingar Simon, it is a day ticket water now, but rightly so i feel as it was being abused and over fished as a free water

Im all for the stocking of carp, within reason, and if thats what the carp lads want to do then let them i say, breaming can become a little boring at times. The only problem i would have with carp is if they become too prolific to the detrement of the bream and tench fishing that ireland is famous for, but i dont feel that will happen.

Hello Tinca, whereabouts do you live and fish? Im in kildare.

ADAM

http://groups.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

bc.jpg

Last edited:

Tinca

Hi Adam

I'm from Dublin and I'm fishing around the Monaghan area lately, Descart, Duffys, Ballyhoe, Rahan's, Mentrim, only started fishing these lakes this year.
The tench fishing is really good up there if that's what your into..
I had got some reports that a couple of Northern anglers had caught 32 tench in a session and dident belive it until last weekend when on two session I had 23, 9 on friday and 14 on the Sunday.
And all good sizes too 4-5lb. Where u fishing in Kildare?

Tinca

chris63

quote:Originally posted by Tinca

Hi Adam

I'm from Dublin and I'm fishing around the Monaghan area lately, Descart, Duffys, Ballyhoe, Rahan's, Mentrim, only started fishing these lakes this year.
The tench fishing is really good up there if that's what your into..
I had got some reports that a couple of Northern anglers had caught 32 tench in a session and dident belive it until last weekend when on two session I had 23, 9 on friday and 14 on the Sunday.
And all good sizes too 4-5lb. Where u fishing in Kildare?

Tinca

Tinca

Its a long time ago now, but I hooked and played a Tench in a lake near Arva which would have smashed the Irish record and probably the English one as well. the fight and fish was witnessed by a number of people, so it wasn't my imagination.

After about 30 mins I lost it when the hook snapped. I had it within two foot of the landing net twice (by this stage my mate was up to his chest in the water trying to net the beast).

Let me know if you want details of the water!

Chris
Treasurer
Stoney and Friends

Tinca

Yeah I'd love to here more as I've started targeting the bigger fish lately...You must have been gutted when that happened!!
But any info would be greatly welcomed, cheers Chris

Tinca

chris63

quote:Originally posted by Tinca

Yeah I'd love to here more as I've started targeting the bigger fish lately...You must have been gutted when that happened!!
But any info would be greatly welcomed, cheers Chris

Tinca

I'll have to dig out a map of the area to see what the lake was called. I know exactly where it is, and if you put me in the centre of Arva I could drive straight to it, but for the life of me can't remember what it is called.

I'll try and look it up on the web later.

Chris
Treasurer
Stoney and Friends

scouse_lee

evertonian
just a little info about the carp,
there was an article in the anglers mail 2 weeks ago (i still have it at home)
saying there was carp in the lower erne and the record was 26lbs

dont know if it was a mistake but its there in black and white..

Adam S

Account Locked
Hello All

Tinca Do most of my fishing on the Canals, the grand around sallins way, and the royal on the stretch between enfield and castleknock.

Also fish a lot on the liffey and its resevoirs and on the rye river in leixlip for trout.

Have been spending a bit of time lately looking at new spots in kildare, ballnafagh lake and so on and fishing some of the small quarries and ponds i have found over the years.

Occasionally, when i can tear myself away from the canal i do a bit on the lakes in cavan and very rarely the shannon, but bream wouldnt be my faves so not too often, also do a bit of sea fishing when i can get to the west coast, and do a bit on the ebro in spain when time and money allows.

Fave fish would be a tie , tench and perch, with Brown trout,carp,pike,rudd and catfish being close seconds.

Good luck
ADAM

http://groups.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

bc.jpg

Simon R

Site Supporter
From a purely selfish and personal point of view, I'd hate to see carp become widely established in Ireland. I can catch plenty of carp at home (and if I wanted a days travel and a ferry journey I'd go to France to catch them[;)])

If carp were to become established in one of the big river systems (ie the Erne or the Shannon) they will be able to spread throughout the country. I am sure that this will be to the detriment of the native species. Carp are more aggressive feeders than either bream or tench and will almost certainly prosper at the other fishes expense.

Look at the way the roach have spread to almost every body of water in the country and at the same time the rudd has declined to be almost extinct from some waters. If you get a single rudd in a day's fishing on many of the lakes I fish in the Cavan / Monaghan area you've had a 'good' day.

On the other hand I can see how Irish anglers would love the chance to catch decent sized carp (probably barbel and chub too, which I'm sure would prosper in the food-rich Irish rivers)They would have to be introduced to enclosed waters only to prevent them spreading throughout the country (although carp in England do seem to have this amazing habit of walking 100 miles in a single night to reappear somewhere else[V]) and more than likely that would mean paying for a day's fishing.

The big problem is likely to be the low numbers of Irish coarse anglers. For a commercial venture to work it has to get plenty of people fishing there, personally I don't think the visiting angler will bother and there are not likely to be enough 'locals' to keep it going. I can't see the fisheries boards carrying out widespread stocking of non-native fish due to the possible ecological damage.

I (and I would think plenty of other anglers) go to Ireland to fish for 'wild' fish in wild surroundings, catching numbers and weights of fish that can't be done in England (not from natural fisheries anyway)

If a few forty and fifty pound carp start to appear from lakes in Ireland, it won't be long before the 'catch at all cost' bivvy brigade move in, spending days at a time by the water (and probably preventing the locals from getting a look-in).

I've no doubt that the carp WILL become more widespread across the country - I just hope it happens very slowly [:p]

Tight Lines

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.