Carp fishing, is it best to fish bottom middle or

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

I'm hoping some of you experienced members can help me out, with the falling temperature I've noticed a drop off in fish activity down at my local Carp lake and I'm wondering which I'd be best to concentrate my efforts on :- fishing on the bottom, middle etc.

I have been fishing on the surface with one rod and ledgering with the other but both have cooled off.

(apologies for the similarity to my other post).[:D]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

MALC

Andy

With the fall in temperature's carp tend to shoal up in certain areas and whilst one angler could be bagging everyone else may remain biteless.[:(][:(]

When it gets colder the carp will find the warmest layers of water where they feel happiest and these could be anywhere from the bottom up to just below the surface (dependent on wind and water movement).

But the trouble is as it gets colder they may only feed for a short space of time as they are less active and so waste less energy and so require less food.

Personally at this time of year i'll try to plumb up and find the deepest parts of my swim but with a shelf and try to position my bait from the base of that shelf upwards.

But always be prepaired to change depths if you get line bites as the fish may be higher in the water.

Also if pleasure fishing you can pick the likly fish holding areas of the pool and target these (some thing i can't do as mostly i'm in matches).[:(]

Also keeping in touch on a regular basis with the venue can help as you will find very quickly as to where the fish have been showing.

Your final option is to leave the carp and have some fun with the other species in the water that most other anglers ignore eg most commercials contain some cracking Roach and Perch that nobody fishes for.

Hope the above helps a bit.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

AndyA

That does help Malc, I've got a lot of learning to do with this fishing lark and most of it will be by my mistakes [:D].

I have a private pond I can fish which really is a bagup venue for Roach, but it really is a case of dangle maggot / pullout fish guaranteed and it doesn't hold any attraction when it's like that, there are other fish in there i.e Tench & Bream but (we've) only caught small versions, I guess they would be worth targeting ?.

ta

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

martin.

Account Locked
hi andyA
theres also the scaling down of your tackle as it gets colder
& trying different baits.
if your trying this private pit & targeting tench & bream try lobworm over chopped worm & caster it can work wonders.

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

MALC

Agree with you Martin regards the chop as it is one of the main winter baits on commercials when after the Carp as all fish that swim will take it readily.

But i must admit when targeting carp i won't scale down by anymore than .03 in line dia (summer .20 average & winter .17 average ) and still wont drop lacky size lower than 14 but hey i dont catch much anyway. LOL

My reasoning being that i want to get every winter carp in the net as most waters i fish in winter your looking at maybe 5/6 fish for 50lb and thats going to put you in the frame.
And i know on my all be it heavy gear i wont get smashed (if i get the bites in the first place) LOL

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Status
Not open for further replies.