Carp fighting strength

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I often find myself saying, 'The Carp really go here'. Seems to me that even though Carp always fight hard, they fight harder on some places than others.

Now I'm not talking Wild Carp, anyone who has ever been lucky enough to fish for proper Wildies will attest to their power, but just standard Carp. The Common I hooked yesterday on a very deep lake was only 8lb 10oz, but such a heavy feeling fish for its size, I called it 'pure muscle' as it was a very dense fish.

I have never really known Carp like it and put it down to a few things including depth of lake, diet, genetics, and not being heavily fished for.

Then there's the park, the fish also 'go' there, but the lake is shallow. Seems that either extreme of depth can bring out certain fighting characteristics, but they're nowhere near the strength of the fish at Hurst Farm.

How often do you find yourself saying the same, or is it just me and all Carp fight as hard as each other? They don't have to be big fish either as Wildies prove, sometimes single figure fish can give better account for themselves than bigger fish.

Aztecca

Site Supporter
I had a mirror yesterday no more than 5lb.It was Built like Mike tyson massive shoulders big tail solid lump and it took me all over the place.Half an hour later I had a common which must of been twice the weight of the mirror and it came in like a Bream no problems at all.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Hooked into a carp last Thursday. Had me all over the shop. Eventually it surfaced 2 rods out. About 3 pounds 🤷‍♂.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It always makes me laugh when people hook a Carp at Hurst Farm as they're so powerful, even though a lot of people fish Carp rods for them, they put up a scrap for their size. Biggest around 24lb but a lot of high single figure fish. If they decide to bolt then you're done for on a lot of places.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
As with any type of fish, it depends on the individual fish. It can also matter how often a fish is caught and how recently it has been caught. However, it's true enough that on some waters, otherwise comparable fish seem to fight harder than on others.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The worst (best) fight I've had from a carp was an 11lb common... for some reason I've found Commons, particularly low to mid doubles, go absolutely bonkers...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
8lb 10oz Pure Muscle yesterday from Hurst Farm. Luckily on Crucian tackle it just wallowed about somewhat untypical for the fish there as they usual bolt.

2022-08-28 16.59.43.jpg

19lb and somewhat bloated for the Park. Still took me through the lilies but I was on feeder gear.

19lb Carp.jpeg

More power to the leaner fish but the park is snag fishing. I go on about Hurst Farm a bit, nowhere I fish is perfect, but I like it there as it's unique to me. @WickerDave has been once and didn't like it.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I always found that the heavier the fish the slower the fight... big doubles and over 20lb seem to plod about using their weight rather than outright power... that said I've had a few lumps go totally hatstand close in

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
I love roaming around the internet and reading about stuff like this, 1 thing I've noticed is where ever you find this -

"Barbel are the hardest fighting freshwater fish"...

There's always somebody who responds with -

"You must have never hooked into a big river Carp then"...

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
It’s a bit like comparing an 18 stone couch potato with a fast food and alcohol addiction in a 20x25foot living room with 20 friends having a party with; an
18 stone No8 with 29 other international rugby players on a 10080sqm pitch.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I go on about Hurst Farm a bit, nowhere I fish is perfect, but I like it there as it's unique to me. @WickerDave has been once and didn't like it.
Not true, I enjoyed the fishing despite the slow spells I had, but didn't do too badly really for a first visit. Definitely didn't like the single lane public roads and the long narrow track from the gate to the lakes though :(.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not true, I enjoyed the fishing despite the slow spells I had, but didn't do too badly really for a first visit. Definitely didn't like the single lane public roads and the long narrow track from the gate to the lakes though :(.
I was going to make a thread on the 'most inaccessible fisheries' and Hurst would be up there. Only plus point of that is it's often quiet there. Yesterday the only 2 other people fishing were staying in the cottages.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
"It’s a bit like comparing an 18 stone couch potato with a fast food and alcohol addiction in a 20x25foot living room with 20 friends having a party with; an
18 stone No8 with 29 other international rugby players on a 10080sqm pitch."

That made me smile.
It's impossible to make any comparisons as you are never "like for like"
8oz Roach on 8oz B/S line on the stick or 8oz Roach on the Barbel gear.

Can't believe we have got this far and nobody has trotted out "if Gudgeon were the same size..............."
It's nonsense as they have evolved to be the size they are and there is no idea if their physiology would be changed by being a larger species.

It's like saying if ants were the same size as a Tyrannosaurus Rex they would have ruled the planet
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
"It’s a bit like comparing an 18 stone couch potato with a fast food and alcohol addiction in a 20x25foot living room with 20 friends having a party with; an
18 stone No8 with 29 other international rugby players on a 10080sqm pitch."

That made me smile.
It's impossible to make any comparisons as you are never "like for like"
8oz Roach on 8oz B/S line on the stick or 8oz Roach on the Barbel gear.

Can't believe we have got this far and nobody has trotted out "if Gudgeon were the same size..............."
It's nonsense as they have evolved to be the size they are and there is no idea if their physiology would be changed by being a larger species.

It's like saying if ants were the same size as a Tyrannosaurus Rex they would have ruled the planet
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tyson Fury makes a good point -

"Bring me the lb for lb best boxer in the world and I'll knock him into next week, so what does it even mean?"

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Probably is a bit venue dependant - I’ve found that if even the 5lb’ers know the snags better than you they’ll power around or plant themselves on the deck and fight you inch for inch

Although I don’t specifically target carp I love catching them because they test your tackle and your skill in playing them to the limit

TiggerXFM

Tench spring to mind when comparing lb for lb fighting/pulling back. A male tench will usually always put up a better fight than a female.

The tackle you use makes a huge difference to how a fish feels.
Also, the way you play a fish can make it feel different.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When you have a decent Tench on... Thud Thud Thud sometimes... as they flap their paddle tail!

richox12

Which is also why when selecting tackle for yourself or, even worse, trying to advise someone else on what is suitable for what they want to catch it is very difficult as there are no rules. Fish do whatever they want to do. You can be broken by a 5lb fish or land a 15lb fish. E.G. If you tell someone they can use 'X' make/brand/type of gear for fish up to 10lb and they get it busted by something they estimate at 5lb they might well throw your advice back at you.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
Excepting river carp, one of the craziest carp I had was on a small commercial. I was fishing bread in the margins when all of a sudden I had a run that shot off at full speed right across the lake.

It then turned 180 and came back at me full speed slightly to the left. I was giving it as much side strain as I dared but the fish with a huge splash and thud smashed into the bank just to the left of my feet breaking me off. It all happened so quickly I was gobsmacked. Kamikaze carp.

As for river carp, I feel like they’ve been watching their barbel cousins and taking notes.