Carp Disease Spreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

floats-direct

Found these two articals.

The first on carp smuggling ended in a 30,000.00 fine.

What do you think was 30,000.00 enough?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2001/011221a.htm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/newsrel/1998/980921a.htm

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Well EXCELLENT !!!

And I expect the 30K not only got his attention but may also make others think before doing the same sort of thing. Maybe.

I have no idea of the profits these folks stand to make. If the potential is really huge, I doubt any fine will do much good. Similar to the folks who smuggle drugs. Just way too much money to be made.

Anyone have an idea of the annual profit to be made from large-scale activity of the sort mentioned in the first article?

Newt Vail

Cyprinid_boy

Not great newt. Slowly fishery owners are becoming aware of the dangers and are insisting on health certification. The greedy foolish ones are not and ultimately they suffer through loss of stock. I have witnessed lakes full of dead and dying fish which have later been traced to illegal imports. The general import is 20lb+ carp. Carp exceeding 35lb+ can sell for over 5000, but only if they are English fish. An illegal import of similar size would cost a mere percentage of that, however, the risk of stock wipe out is hugely increased. Although catfish, grass carp and the sturgeon are being imported this is not so common. These fish are difficult to pass as indigenous species - the look nothing like roach!! However, they still come into the country, fishery owners buy them and anglers rush to fish for them. If the demand falls away then the obvious will occur. Sadly i don't think it will.

As for svc spreading, I consider myself in touch with the current consultancy scene and i do not know of any cases for quite a while. The original importer of svc diseased carp served a 6-year prison sentence. Deserved you may think, but fish are still dying of it twenty years on and he is back importing illegal fish - that's reality and the world of dubious fishery consultants. There are many of them around. All i can offer is an impartial view to all of those members of md.com If your club wants to buy fish e-mail me and i will suggest the most reputable dealer in your area. Can't say fairer than that.

Mat

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Absolutely amazing to me that you haven't had more response to this thread.

I am impressed though that you folks can tell a grassie from a roach. Although to me, the only way I can tell them from a barbel is that we have grassies over here and no barbel.

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi all,

I remeber reading an article not so long back regarding the smuggling of fish and in it it described the most common way of doing so.

When a legitimate order was placed to a foreign supplier, the certification was given at the source and the odd carp or two were added afterwards en-route. The Customs had no way of checking that the tanks contained just the order and the certificates were all legit.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.