Carp based day ticket waters in Cheshire that are open late....

steve_b77

I've started up again after about 10 years off and decided on carp fishing this time, previously I fished a lot of matches on natural and commercials over 2 periods, so I thought the simpler, more relaxed (?) as in sat in a chair and relaxing kind of fishing would be a nice way to spend time on the bank - plus it's a nice introduction for my 8yr old.

We've been 7 or 8 times since I bought a new set up, but we're kind of limited on the time side of things - I work from home full time so we typically go after work (finish around 4pm) for a few hours before bed time / it goes dark. We've only fished at Holmston Hall so far as it's 15 minutes down the road, open until dusk and is pretty easy fishing, it's gone pretty well with plenty of fish (carp) up to 12lbs on both bottom and floating baits, the prices are also very reasonable as £12 for the pair of us if we have 3 rods between us.

There are quite a few lakes (Lloyds Meadow, Cat Rough, Old Hough and Hampton Springs) close by, but they all close at 7pm, so hardly worth it, we could do a weekend, but he likes the short evening sessions. Are there any others you can recommend with a good head of decent carp?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
My mate has just stayed at Hampton Springs for three days, camping. Not sure how much he paid but I dont think it was silly money. Be worth phoning them.
He's going to a place called Home Farm next week in Alsager for a few days. Seems to get good reviews

I've started up again after about 10 years off and decided on carp fishing this time, previously I fished a lot of matches on natural and commercials over 2 periods, so I thought the simpler, more relaxed (?) as in sat in a chair and relaxing kind of fishing would be a nice way to spend time on the bank - plus it's a nice introduction for my 8yr old.

We've been 7 or 8 times since I bought a new set up, but we're kind of limited on the time side of things - I work from home full time so we typically go after work (finish around 4pm) for a few hours before bed time / it goes dark. We've only fished at Holmston Hall so far as it's 15 minutes down the road, open until dusk and is pretty easy fishing, it's gone pretty well with plenty of fish (carp) up to 12lbs on both bottom and floating baits, the prices are also very reasonable as £12 for the pair of us if we have 3 rods between us.

There are quite a few lakes (Lloyds Meadow, Cat Rough, Old Hough and Hampton Springs) close by, but they all close at 7pm, so hardly worth it, we could do a weekend, but he likes the short evening sessions. Are there any others you can recommend with a good head of decent carp?
Middle pool at Manley Old Hall Fishery, before Cat Rough travelling from Frodsham! Plenty of small carp to keep the boy happy. Fish from 7am until 9pm, gates closed 9.30pm. Pellets, maggots, corn and bread all worked recently. £8 1 adult rod, £10 2 adult rods and £5 junior ticket. Billy the Water Keeper will give you lots of tips! He's not a bad old bugger! Take the right money as he's a bit touchy about handling change due to Covid19. Tight Lines Brethren 🎣😉

steve_b77

Middle pool at Manley Old Hall Fishery, before Cat Rough travelling from Frodsham! Plenty of small carp to keep the boy happy. Fish from 7am until 9pm, gates closed 9.30pm. Pellets, maggots, corn and bread all worked recently. £8 1 adult rod, £10 2 adult rods and £5 junior ticket. Billy the Water Keeper will give you lots of tips! He's not a bad old bugger! Take the right money as he's a bit touchy about handling change due to Covid19. Tight Lines Brethren 🎣😉

I've heard that Manley Old Hall was a bit untidy, is it in a decent state? What are the other pools like there?

I've heard that Manley Old Hall was a bit untidy, is it in a decent state? What are the other pools like there?
Hiya Steve, top and middle pools are boss, VERY CLEAN and TIDY, 3rd pool is being refurbished/massively extended! Clean toilet as well, always important with the kids with you! 😉🎣

The Landlord

Site Supporter

Just spoke to my mate. You can fish overnight at Hampton Springs for £20 a night. New owners now

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I would give that one a miss , unless it's been sorted you can catch on a bare hook.
The fish had lots of mouth damage when I last fished it.

I would give that one a miss , unless it's been sorted you can catch on a bare hook.
The fish had lots of mouth damage when I last fished it.
I don't think you'll catch on a bare hook and to be honest I think you'll struggle to find a commercial water without damaged fish, most are in good nick in last 3 visits experience, especially on the middle pool where they average 3 - 6lb. Each to their own of course! 😉🎣

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
You could a few years ago, A club I am in had it on a 12 month lease a few years ago. for some reason, a few members complained about the fish and state of the place.must be about 4 years since I fished there. Had some good days on there especially Black Poplar.
But if you say it's being sorted I may call in next time up north, Has he still got something to do with Manley Fishery near Cat Rough and Lloyd's Meadow.?
It's not only commercials with mouth damaged fish, the same club has retired quite a few fish from a complex it has, They are limiting the number of fish in the waters, The 2 "premier ones," are going to be on a booking on system.

No, just Cat Rough and Manley Old Hall. Would that be when Lymm had it per chance? Fish do get hammered when places are overfished!