Carp above 8lbs

Juanil

In the latest Q and A with Des Ship he was asked what is views are on CARP, and the maximum size suitable for
commercial match fishing,
He suggested, that 8lbs would be a good limit, if that was possible, as removal can be difficult in many ways (quote)
Our main match water has carp to 18lbs, with many 14lbs plus coming out regular in the summer months, not many
are hooked and landed in matches, most being carp of 3lbs --- 8lbs
The larger carp tend to be targeted by the specimen lads or feeder angler, if these larger carp were removed from the pool
the club fear that the pleasure/ specimen/ type angler would lose out, so the vote is to leave them be.
Whats your view?
Do you think carp over 8lbs are to big in matches for the pole angler,give us your view.
Must admit I personalty like the chance of catching a larger carp in a match, specially on the feeder, or down the edge on
geared up tackle,
It’s a tough one, I know of two lakes that are close together, however one has specimen size carp, however does hold some lovey roach and a good head of bream, they are looking at moving the bream to the match lake, I guess I see their point, but.. what if someone isn’t a match angler and just wants the chance to catch a decent roach or bream or carp. Personally I’d leave things as they are.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember 20 years ago when a 20lb Carp was a specimen fish, now in some waters they're commonplace.

In the north the trend is to not stock Carp but stock F1's (isn't it @Peter ;) ) - give me a Carp match water any day than an F1 water for matches

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
When I was a kid, carp were special - they weren't really artificially stocked anywhere much and catching one was a real treat. Nowadays I look at the commercials near me, in case the rivers are badly flooded, and they just seem to be carp carp carp, match sized, double sized and monster sized - I wanna catch tench and rudd
Exactly so; a carp of 5lb was amazing for me a kid in the late 1960's. I guess I grew up in a time when carp were caught by bearded chaps sporting floppy hats, not team colours.

Although primarily a pleasure angler I did rekindle my match fishing for a third time around 2009 but I have now knocked matches on the head in the main as I can't abide large carp being kept in nets and being weighed together. I enjoy a days carp fishing on a commercial from time to time but catch, admire and release for me.

Whilst I am waffling I have chatted with a number of fishery owners over the last decade and to a man would love to have silver only pools but have succumbed to the needs of their customers and introduced carp.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I remember 20 years ago when a 20lb Carp was a specimen fish, now in some waters they're commonplace.

In the north the trend is to not stock Carp but stock F1's (isn't it @Peter ;) ) - give me a Carp match water any day than an F1 water for matches
Forgive my ignorance Dave but isn't an F1 just a small version of a common carp?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
They are hybrids between common carp and either crucians or brown goldfish
Mutants !

remember when they were first stocked in fisheries and the accepted view was that they wouldnt grow much bigger than 5lb ish

got that wrong didnt they

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A mongrel fish then:)
Indeed but in the lab jobs unlike naturally occurring hybrids. That said I find they can vary in looks quite a bit in terms of how carpy or cruciany/goldfishy they look (not unlike how natural hybrids can vary) so I'm not sure how exacting the biological process is.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
They are supposed to be sterile as well so won't breed which makes stock control easier ... they say

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I might be wrong but I’ve always been lead to believe that carp don’t breed very well in British waters anyway. Would make sense as the only places I’ve ever caught juveniles is those that are very heavily stocked rather than those with more natural stock density 🤔

OldTaff

Site Supporter
To be fair it’s a nice predicament to be in, having that range of fish in your lakes/fisheries.

Having been out of the match game many years Imthink I’d approach the venue with a feeder rod and margin pole and gear heavy enough to cope with early teens then spend 5hrs having a bit of fun - this is why I’m primarily pools fodder rather than any sort of competition for beer tokens :LOL:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I might be wrong but I’ve always been lead to believe that carp don’t breed very well in British waters anyway. Would make sense as the only places I’ve ever caught juveniles is those that are very heavily stocked rather than those with more natural stock density 🤔

That’s odd - my local carp only lake hasn’t been stocked in at least 8 years and yet an incredible number of small (up to 6oz) mirrors & commons were attacking a bait on a whip like kamikaze lemmings last summer. Large shoals of margin fry too.

Probably the lack of predator fish is the biggest factor there.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s odd - my local carp only lake hasn’t been stocked in at least 8 years and yet an incredible number of small (up to 6oz) mirrors & commons were attacking a bait on a whip like kamikaze lemmings last summer. Large shoals of margin fry too.

Probably the lack of predator fish is the biggest factor there.
Yeah lack of predators could be a factor as the few places I’ve caught juveniles have no predators either 🤔

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve yet to fish a water with F1’s in it - dare say that will be remedied some point this year.

Do anglers target then in the same way as silvers or the same way as carp - or completely differently?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not a fish I’d rush out to catch so not my area of expertise but used to fish for them in the winter when nothing else was feeding and pretty much approached them like silvers. Then again I caught a load last summer just fishing more carp style so I haven’t a clue really 😅

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
But that's only because that's what most commercials / clubs stock?
That's not just because so many anglers like catching them. It's also because they are much hardier than a lot of other fish. A prime example was at Kingsland, Cambs, where there was a magnificent lake of silver fish - including bream and chub...which were wiped out one Summer. Our Summers are getting so hot that we have to adapt.

You many remember than Brian Talbot at Hallcroft made his Bridge Pool into an all-silver lake, as advised by Tom Pickering. Within a few years he restocked carp because so few anglers wanted to fish it.

Fishery owners have to be realistic.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Everyone can go for a few big carp and win.
Just on the day which is best tactic.
Only my thoughts

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Regarding carp being too big for the pole, I can land them more quickly on the pole than on rod and line. My best is 16 lb, and I have no problems with playing fish of that size. You have to coax them in, rather than 'drag' them in as some people suggest. I wouldn't 'drag' a fish in - too worried about the hook pulling out.