Carp above 8lbs

mbuna_matt

Ive often thought about this very thing

Ive lost count of the number of times Ive worked my bo11ocks off catching a net of silvers in a winter match only for a lad to hook a 15lbish carp right at the death and do me

its often the same in matches on our club ponds, lads fish tidy and hard all the five hours, catching the average carp which vary between 1 and 5lb and a guy sits on the feeder and maybe hooks and nets two or three of the bigger fish that go mid to upper doubles

I know its a tactic and I know its fair, but it breaks your heart when it happens
Not just carp, same on the rivers to be fair - you can work your nuts off for 3lb of silvers and be done in the last hour by a good chub or barbell - I know to my cost how annoying that is!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not just carp, same on the rivers to be fair - you can work your nuts off for 3lb of silvers and be done in the last hour by a good chub or barbell - I know to my cost how annoying that is!
Really felt for a few blokes on a Thames match back in October. 3 of the them had roach bags between 20 and 30 pounds and probably all thought they were in pole position but one bloke had something like 10 bream for I think 40 pound something so topped the lot. Well I say felt for them I didn’t really as they still had probably amongst the best days fishing of their lives and 2 of them were still in the money but must have still been a blow to think they had it won lol

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Both of our lakes have double figure carp in them and we will not be removing them, the second of the lakes has Carp to 30's. the first lake is considered as the match lake and has Carp up to the 20's. They give the 'match' anglers time to prove that they can do what they brag about doing...except they lose most of the time. Then out come the excuses of.."If only I'd done ...." or " I meant to bring the other set of tackle with me". They know the waters and what's in them so there's no excuses at all really.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Trouble with big carp in a match they can take a while to land ,
and chap in next peg can land two or three smaller ones in that time

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Answer for match fishing. All Carp - irrespective of size - count as 3lb.
Seemples!

Zerkalo

A water that comes to mind for me is Earlswood where the Carp I seem to remember were stocked at around 1lb and within two or so years they were already 5lb fish. That was around the last time I fished there but it's a really big water and I imagine the Carp all continued to grow rapidly in there. But I have been told they recently netted the lake again so I'm not sure what's happened to the fish now.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Answer for match fishing. All Carp - irrespective of size - count as 3lb.
Seemples!
I fished a winter silvers series a while back where the organisor allowed near on that apart from each carp caught weighed 1lb

near on every gig was won by blokes fishing for F1's and catching 20 plus of em, never even tried for the actual silvers

Kinda put me off really,

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"Answer for match fishing. All Carp - irrespective of size - count as 3lb.
Seemples!"

Except that it's anything but.
Don't give a anglers will happily and deliberately break off when decent sized Carp are on.
Where would be the incentive to gingerly play a 20lb Carp for 30/45 mins when you could catch 3 or 4 3lb ers in the same time?

Last edited by a moderator:

RMNDIL

Really felt for a few blokes on a Thames match back in October. 3 of the them had roach bags between 20 and 30 pounds and probably all thought they were in pole position but one bloke had something like 10 bream for I think 40 pound something so topped the lot. Well I say felt for them I didn’t really as they still had probably amongst the best days fishing of their lives and 2 of them were still in the money but must have still been a blow to think they had it won lol

Match fishing is about making decisions though. 300 small fish v 30 decent fish v 5 big fish ???? Waggler v pole v feeder ? Etc Etc. It's no good being the best whip angler in the world if you need to catch lumps on the feeder

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Exactly and the Evesham Festival is a prime example of this.
Lbh it's not a recent phenomenon either and Winter League anglers have had one fish targets as the agenda for decades.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Match fishing is about making decisions though. 300 small fish v 30 decent fish v 5 big fish ???? Waggler v pole v feeder ? Etc Etc. It's no good being the best whip angler in the world if you need to catch lumps on the feeder
Oh yeah of course that goes without saying. Still got to feel for them a bit though given they put together roach weights that would win 9/10 matches just for one bloke to find bream. Tbf you’re laughing if you can draw a peg with bream in it on a predominantly roach match as you’re always going to take some beating.

nejohn

Site Supporter
The problem I see is a lot of commercial fisheries stocked a large head of carp in the 1-4lb bracket and the match catches were good as you caught a lot of fish which on lightish tackle gave a good account of their selves. So everyone was on a winner catch rates were high but not massively crowded nets etc so the fisherman were happy, which in turn meant they returned often making the owners happy.... But unfortunately those stocked fish with a ready supply of high protein food piled on the weight quickly and soon became 10lb + fish, these are the fish that cause the problems, generally to big for most match anglers and to small for most carp anglers. But what do the owners do about it.? If they net the lake and remove a large amount of these fish what do they do with them? To small to sell on as specimen sized carp and only limited opportunities to move to other waters. Personally I think the heavy stocking of carp a few years ago was a very short sighted practise and should not have been allowed by the EA, stock some carp yes but get a better balance with other species that do not grow as large would have been more sensible

RMNDIL

Oh yeah of course that goes without saying. Still got to feel for them a bit though given they put together roach weights that would win 9/10 matches just for one bloke to find bream. Tbf you’re laughing if you can draw a peg with bream in it on a predominantly roach match as you’re always going to take some beating.
You've also got to have some Bottle to sit and wait, sometimes taking your chances with bream (or chub or whatever), when you know if it doesn't happen after an hour or two you will be so far behind the small fish race that you can't change tactics to join in and catch up anyway.

It's match fishing. We've all come back to results after a match and said 'if only.....'

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I fished alongside Joe Roberts on a match last year on a lake known for big Carp, in fact I'd had a few decent days there previously and since.

Joe spent the first 15minutes looking for a Carp then said sod it, or words to the effect of, and out came a whip and maggots. He targetted the Perch. Not big ones, maybe 1-3oz each.
I stuck it out for the Carp thinking that once they come onto the feed his steady catching would soon be left behind. In all fairness it was me who got left behind as the Carp didn't come out to play and I had to settle for some Skimmers. Joe thrashed me with a 50+lb net of small Perch :D

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Carp ruin tench waters, they will no doubt take over the RM canal in time, blasted things.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem I see is a lot of commercial fisheries stocked a large head of carp in the 1-4lb bracket and the match catches were good as you caught a lot of fish which on lightish tackle gave a good account of their selves. So everyone was on a winner catch rates were high but not massively crowded nets etc so the fisherman were happy, which in turn meant they returned often making the owners happy.... But unfortunately those stocked fish with a ready supply of high protein food piled on the weight quickly and soon became 10lb + fish, these are the fish that cause the problems, generally to big for most match anglers and to small for most carp anglers. But what do the owners do about it.? If they net the lake and remove a large amount of these fish what do they do with them? To small to sell on as specimen sized carp and only limited opportunities to move to other waters. Personally I think the heavy stocking of carp a few years ago was a very short sighted practise and should not have been allowed by the EA, stock some carp yes but get a better balance with other species that do not grow as large would have been more sensible
Couple years back I attended another fishing forums weekender at a place called High Flyer fisheries near Ely Cambs

the purpose of the gig was to catch as many carp as we could over the two days, irrespective of size, and there was some proper munters in there, to say it was carp soup, was to be a little reticent

each day on the weigh in, and most had at least 4 nets in, the owner came around with a couple of trailers that had tanks on them, we didnt put the fish back in the lake after weighing, they were transferred to the tanks and were taken to another fishery as stock

between the 20 or so anglers, there were thousands of pounds weight of carp taken out that lake each day

we asked the owner what they were worth,, and he said much the same as you, the fish under 10lb and the ones bigger than 20lb had a value, but those inbetween had little or none as nobody really wanted them

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I mainly fish venues that are big carp dominated, I much prefer them to the new lakes that are full of stockies, far too busy for me that.....

Carp to 20lb are easily manageable in matches, they are the mainstay of match fishing at Viaduct to name one, (apart from silvers matches) the only drawback to having such big fish is they tend to feed at the start and end of matches, they can go missing in the middle, so the anglers that manage to keep a few going in the net during that time tend to fare best.

The trouble with venues stocked with small carp, is they turn into a fish race, which if you get behind, means your day is over, lakes with big carp in mean you can come back at the end and win, that’s impossible where there are no big fish.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I fished a winter silvers series a while back where the organisor allowed near on that apart from each carp caught weighed 1lb

near on every gig was won by blokes fishing for F1's and catching 20 plus of em, never even tried for the actual silvers

Kinda put me off really,
I wouldn’t have fished it Mick, silvers matches should be silvers only as far as I’m concerned.

dave brittain 1

The problem is many established commercials have been going for around 20 yrs some of which are self sustaining in that they have their own stock ponds. Most speci waters are carefully managed and have a particular fish weight to water ratio to ensure the health of the stock and a balanced fishery.

Take the double figure carp out of the match fisheries and where are you going to put them?

I have no problems with big carp in match lakes and although some people would prefer them to be taken out, they'd likely be the first to moan because match weights suffered or the fact they couldn't catch any bonus fish to help put them back into contention in the latter stages of a match.

It's an issue of our own making. Although most anglers don't like keeping big fish in nets it doesn't seem to have an adverse affect on the fish and some seem to retain their condition despite being caught repeatedly.

Nearly every match I fish has a split pool, carp taking 2/3rds of the pool and 1/3rd going to silvers. If you draw a poor carp peg you can fish for silvers so in reality there's not a lot to moan about. People soon forget that 100 peg plus matches were often won with 6-10lbs in days gone past which led to a big decline in match fishing. Commercials were described by many as the saviour of the sport however I'd go back to fishing 100 pegs matches which often had 100% pay out tomorrow despite knowing 6-10lbs would win many of them. I'm not a big fan of 20 peg matches but it's the way the sport has gone.

Personally I don't worry if I have to catch twenty 10lb fish or one hundred 2lb fish to win, we all pay our money so everybody is in the same boat. The other thing to consider is that if you don't like one venue because the fish are too big, there's a very good chance there's another venue you can fish just down the road.

It's funny really we are spoiled with carp and silver weights we could have only dreamed of 25 yrs ago, yet some people are never happy but then again it's always been a fickle sport.