Carp above 8lbs

smiffy

Site Supporter
I'm surprised by the amount of catches I see reported on here and on youtube videos of 'big' fish (mostly Bream but Chub and stamp Roach too) on canals these days. Back when I used to fish them even Roach of any size were rare compared to Gudgeon and a bonus fish would usually mean you stood a chance.
Could be down to less pressure? There was alway areas that held these fish but actually getting one was a big risk. One that often wasn’t worth taking. A win was often down to making hemp work in the last hour or backing up a net of Roach with a big Perch or three on choppy.
I think the fish are probably more confident now with fewer hooks going in the water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Could be down to less pressure? There was alway areas that held these fish but actually getting one was a big risk. One that often wasn’t worth taking. A win was often down to making hemp work in the last hour or backing up a net of Roach with a big Perch on choppy.
I think the fish are probably more confident now with fewer hooks going in the water.
Yep I think you're right. We used to fish the Staffs/Worcs which is where I live now and there was always reports of big Chub coming from there. I used to read the Angling Times match results and see 5lb+ weights coming from there before we fished, but we only ever had Gudgeon and the odd Roach with bonus Perch usually being key. But despite fishing Caster across I don't remember any coming out in matches. Same for Bream, the odd one would come out but I never had one. In fact for all my years canal fishing I never caught a proper Bream but now see James Robbins doing features having good bags of them, and he seems to say the same, that it wouldn't have been possible in years gone by but now with less pressure and the cycle of fish populations changing it is possible.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Yep I think you're right. We used to fish the Staffs/Worcs which is where I live now and there was always reports of big Chub coming from there. I used to read the Angling Times match results and see 5lb+ weights coming from there before we fished, but we only ever had Gudgeon and the odd Roach with bonus Perch usually being key. But despite fishing Caster across I don't remember any coming out in matches. Same for Bream, the odd one would come out but I never had one. In fact for all my years canal fishing I never caught a proper Bream but now see James Robbins doing features having good bags of them, and he seems to say the same, that it wouldn't have been possible in years gone by but now with less pressure and the cycle of fish populations changing it is possible.
I'm sure that when there is a big match with an angler plonking down a box every 15 or so yards then the fish are well aware.

Equally - there are match days (even on canals) where they suddenly feed with abandon.
I used to fish some matches at Small Heath a few years ago. It was great fishing - you could get 5-6 pounds form every peg - but usually only needed 9-10 to win. One day I plonked an ounce shy of 18 pounds on the scales- mix of skimmers and roach. I held the venue record for about ten pegs ... but everyone had double figures that day!

I used to fish an evening league on the Stratford Canal on the edge of town. It was a horrible venue in the day ... scratching for a few small fish. Come the evening and the lower light ... suddenly loads of big roach and chub were caught.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have to admit I always enjoyed the challenge of winkling out the slightly better stamp of roach and/or dace.
For example, in the old days on the GUC, there were ways of fishing the squatt that meant you'd catch stamp roach of 2oz, rather than the half ounce blades.

I disagree on two points here:
1. I'd much rather be fishing a match where I've got a chance of plenty of bites ... than to fish for best amongst a load of 2 pound weights. I pick venues that give me a decent shout of double figures from most pegs.
2. for the biggest turnouts you really need a few fliers to encourage attendance - otherwise it's always the same faces winning. I also prefer bigger matches if I can fish them.

I think that Nene match was the last national that they counted in (1992 iirc). Just my luck!
I remember stories of people using silver paper as lures - although never actually proven.
And of course Cofton Hackett won a winter league final fishing worms for pike in Ireland!
There were definitely people using silver paper from fag packets to catch pike, that’s why pike were banned in many river matches.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm sure that when there is a big match with an angler plonking down a box every 15 or so yards then the fish are well aware.

Equally - there are match days (even on canals) where they suddenly feed with abandon.
I used to fish some matches at Small Heath a few years ago. It was great fishing - you could get 5-6 pounds form every peg - but usually only needed 9-10 to win. One day I plonked an ounce shy of 18 pounds on the scales- mix of skimmers and roach. I held the venue record for about ten pegs ... but everyone had double figures that day!

I used to fish an evening league on the Stratford Canal on the edge of town. It was a horrible venue in the day ... scratching for a few small fish. Come the evening and the lower light ... suddenly loads of big roach and chub were caught.

Small Heath is a place I would only fish in matches, but for reasons other fishing. 😁 Dangerous area! Stratford Canal on the other hand I used to go there pleasure fishing I think, and even hooked a Carp or something on a light elastic there, didn't get it in!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
"What I find sad, as someone has already mentioned here, is the migration, here in the south, away from match styles lakes (commercials) to specimen waters only."

Colemans Cottage, Tylers Common, Puddledock Farm, Southend Farm, Fennes Fishery, just a few waters that have matches near me in the South East...
Thought Coleman's Cottage had no matches now.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I think they still do... thought I'd seen a couple of results in the comic

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
That,s another pet hate of mine... why do carp have to be in every water...? We have a non carp water and we get carpers moaning that there,s none in it despite there being two other waters they can fish... its just pure selfishness... boils my pee so it does... nowt worse than catching Roach and just getting em going when sodding carp move into the peg
Yep, I occasionally read in the angling press of a guide to a fishery which might have six or eight lakes. Every one of them with Carp in them. Is it really too much of a bother to have just one Carp free lake? I often get the impression that anglers are semi-brainwashed into thinking that they're the only fish worth catching.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Yep, I occasionally read in the angling press of a guide to a fishery which might have six or eight lakes. Every one of them with Carp in them. Is it really too much of a bother to have just one Carp free lake? I often get the impression that anglers are semi-brainwashed into thinking that they're the only fish worth catching.
Because Hardly anyone would bother to fish it 😂😂

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Because Hardly anyone would bother to fish it 😂😂
Genuine question, do you think commercial match anglers would be happy with lakes if they had no carp but a similarly sized population of say good sized tench, bream and Perch or maybe chub and barbel? As in is the issue that it's got to be carp for carps sake or is that those species get harder to catch as they get bigger?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Genuine question, do you think commercial match anglers would be happy with lakes if they had no carp but a similarly sized population of say good sized tench, bream and Perch or maybe chub and barbel? As in is the issue that it's got to be carp for carps sake or is that those species get harder to catch as they get bigger?
Orchard place farm at paddock wood has a dedicated silvers lake amongst the dozen or so lakes on the complex

its booked lot for club matches, near every other lake is carp oriented with them either being carp match waters (2 lakes), carp runs waters, or catfish waters

smiffy

Site Supporter
No. To the first part of your question.
Barbel? Really? In a stillwater?
Joking,Joking😉

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No. To the first part of your question.
Barbel? Really? In a stillwater?
Joking,Joking😉
Haha yeah I don't agree with it either but it's one of those things that isn't going away now. Not really a fan of it with chub either but not quite so bad with them.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Too many people have told me they do fine. So I don’t worry about it anymore.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Haha yeah I don't agree with it either but it's one of those things that isn't going away now. Not really a fan of it with chub either but not quite so bad with them.
Most of the lakes I’ve fished that have had barbel in there all died off, you catch odd ones, but most of them are gone 🤷‍♂️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Most of the lakes I’ve fished that have had barbel in there all died off, you catch odd ones, but most of them are gone 🤷‍♂️

There used to be a lot at oakfield over Aylesbury way if you know it? Not sure if they are still in there now.

Horribly artificial place but if you could sort of close yours eyes to your surroundings the variety did make for interesting fishing. Could do 50lb plus with no more than a couple carp as was lots of 2-5lb barbel and 1-3lb bream and a few poundish chub and tench. The roach were blades and Perch wasps though so it wasn’t for me 😅

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
There used to be a lot at oakfield over Aylesbury way if you know it? Not sure if they are still in there now.

Horribly artificial place but if you could sort of close yours eyes to your surroundings the variety did make for interesting fishing. Could do 50lb plus with no more than a couple carp as was lots of 2-5lb barbel and 1-3lb bream and a few poundish chub and tench. The roach were blades and Perch wasps though so it wasn’t for me 😅
I haven’t fished there for quite a few years , they had those big fat short carp there , built like footballs

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I haven’t fished there for quite a few years , they had those big fat short carp there , built like footballs
Think I’ve only fished there a handful of times spread over about 10 years. The mixed lake isn’t too bad, fished well or rubbish which I suppose makes it interesting especially with the variety of the species but it’s really not much to look at. Big match lake is worse though as it’s a big brown square with literally only sub 10lb carp in there. Fished that once and went home after about 10 fish as you just knew exactly what was coming out every bite.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Orchard place farm at paddock wood has a dedicated silvers lake amongst the dozen or so lakes on the complex

its booked lot for club matches, near every other lake is carp oriented with them either being carp match waters (2 lakes), carp runs waters, or catfish waters
Oh Mick you are a diamond - somewhere open and within 15 mins of home (y) (y)