Carp above 8lbs

smiffy

Site Supporter
A larger number of anglers go pleasure fishing than match yet what tends to happen with these kind of threads is that fact is overlooked.

Your "go fishing when he can" angler wants to catch fish and for most they want it to be of a size that can pull back.
True and a fair point👍

dave brittain 1

yeah..... nice

bloody obscene in my book
I have to agree with you on that point, that's not match fishing, it's simply a fish race regardless of what spin they put on it and it's an accident waiting to happen. Well over 10 yrs ago a number of big weight south west venues were hit with un-seasonally high temperatures, a few storms that reduced oxygen levels and KHV. It was heart breaking for the owners of the fisheries and it wasn't restricted only to the south west. It was a combination of circumstances not helped by high stocking levels, which weren't high compared to todays standards as 200lbs was the bench mark then, with not too many venues capable of producing those weights.

With 200lbs you have to work for every fish and even approaching 300lbs you still have spells where you lose the fish. I understand for those not used to catching big weights you're probably scratching your heads but for experienced match anglers they'll be able to relate exactly to what I'm saying. If you consider a good angler can put 60lbs plus in the net in a good hour, 6 hrs hrs would give you a potential weight of 360lbs assuming you you catch steadily throughout the match. The reality is your fist hour is generally slow then it picks up. Mid match you generally have a lull and then in the last two hours the peg picks up and goes from strength to strength and instead of putting 60lbs in the net in the last hour you can't get the bait in quickly enough and manage 100lbs.

The above would be a typical big weight match where you've had to work at it and then the fish have rocked up in the last two ours. 1500lbs in 6 hours is something I wouldn't even want to contemplate. My favourite matches on commercials were without a doubt when 200lbs became the bench mark because it was never a fish race you had to think your way through the match and change tactics accordingly.

Regarding silvers I was lucky enough to start fishing the Wye when it came into its own from 2007-2009 when 50-60lb weights of roach, dace and chublets were required to win. I had some great matches and remember one where Lee Gardiner had 59lbs of roach and didn't frame taking his section by default. Even then it wasn't a fish race just river fishing at it's best. If you want good silvers fishing make sure you don't restrict yourself to commercials because chances are you may be missing out.

The only other point I'll make is the silvers fishing in the South West that Chris has touched on. Down here we are spoiled. Bream matches at Chard Reservoir, Shear Water Lake and Taymar Lakes are sold out immediately. Silvers Leagues and silver fish matches at Viaduct, Stafford Moore and Todber Mannor are generally fully subscribed with a waiting list and then there are the big money finals where they have the all winners finals where if you win a carp match or silvers pool in a carp match you automatically qualify for the final. All in all we have the best of both worlds.

Since 2009 I haven't done a lot of match fishing due partly to work and back problems. I'm hoping this year I can put it behind me and get back on track.

Total

Site Supporter
I have to agree with you on that point, that's not match fishing, it's simply a fish race regardless of what spin they put on it and it's an accident waiting to happen. Well over 10 yrs ago a number of big weight south west venues were hit with un-seasonally high temperatures, a few storms that reduced oxygen levels and KHV. It was heart breaking for the owners of the fisheries and it wasn't restricted only to the south west. It was a combination of circumstances not helped by high stocking levels, which weren't high compared to todays standards as 200lbs was the bench mark then, with not too many venues capable of producing those weights.

With 200lbs you have to work for every fish and even approaching 300lbs you still have spells where you lose the fish. I understand for those not used to catching big weights you're probably scratching your heads but for experienced match anglers they'll be able to relate exactly to what I'm saying. If you consider a good angler can put 60lbs plus in the net in a good hour, 6 hrs hrs would give you a potential weight of 360lbs assuming you you catch steadily throughout the match. The reality is your fist hour is generally slow then it picks up. Mid match you generally have a lull and then in the last two hours the peg picks up and goes from strength to strength and instead of putting 60lbs in the net in the last hour you can't get the bait in quickly enough and manage 100lbs.

The above would be a typical big weight match where you've had to work at it and then the fish have rocked up in the last two ours. 1500lbs in 6 hours is something I wouldn't even want to contemplate. My favourite matches on commercials were without a doubt when 200lbs became the bench mark because it was never a fish race you had to think your way through the match and change tactics accordingly...............
Wotcha Dave,

Said water above was doing these weights five or more years ago, and always gets brought up by our Arry, bless him....Today on the same water 200 pound would be an exceptional weight....EA got involved etc, etc....

Regarding Shearwater, is it not closed at present because the local Lord/owner recently passed away? (according to Mr Shipp)

dave brittain 1

Total not sure about Shear Water they did issue a Covid update in May stating that despite the Government guidelines allowing angling they were going to remain closed. There have been no updates since.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I I’d rather fish for decent sized fish , carp, etc than a load of silly little blade roach all day
I have to admit I always enjoyed the challenge of winkling out the slightly better stamp of roach and/or dace.
For example, in the old days on the GUC, there were ways of fishing the squatt that meant you'd catch stamp roach of 2oz, rather than the half ounce blades.

Does it really matter in a match? I agree for pleasure angling but matches? My priority for a match venue was how fair it was. Big Carp do not make a fair venue.
Plenty of fish apart from Carp will pull back on balanced tackle.
I disagree on two points here:
1. I'd much rather be fishing a match where I've got a chance of plenty of bites ... than to fish for best amongst a load of 2 pound weights. I pick venues that give me a decent shout of double figures from most pegs.
2. for the biggest turnouts you really need a few fliers to encourage attendance - otherwise it's always the same faces winning. I also prefer bigger matches if I can fish them.

It’s only been the nationals that I’ve fished where they counted. Been some dubious practices involved in trying to get one😉 Punched bread using a fish shape pastry cutter was one😂 So rumour has it.
I think that Nene match was the last national that they counted in (1992 iirc). Just my luck!
I remember stories of people using silver paper as lures - although never actually proven.
And of course Cofton Hackett won a winter league final fishing worms for pike in Ireland!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have to admit I always enjoyed the challenge of winkling out the slightly better stamp of roach and/or dace.
For example, in the old days on the GUC, there were ways of fishing the squatt that meant you'd catch stamp roach of 2oz, rather than the half ounce blades.
Blimey that's hard fishing when the 2oz fish are the better ones! That does sort of tally with my experience of canals though as the better fish on them tend to be equivalent to the smaller ones on rivers 🤔

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Various ways of looking at it for me. Overly large carp in keepnets can't be that good, setting up for match size fish then playing out a lump on such kit not good either, so for me, fisheries that keep on top of grading their fish once in while, whether its between own lakes or selling on if a single 'match' lake, are ones that are on it.

Ones that feel they don't have a part to play in matters or ignore it as balanced over the money matches bring in but then stick on a rule board about being prepared to haggle over a size 12 or 14 hook do tend to be the ones where you get this.

As an occasional match angler, it does my nut in when you can prep for a range of fish, then get smashed. Don't care what anyone says, for example a hollow elastic might be ok across say a 7 or 8lb range of fish, but beyond that range its a nuisance and expensive.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Blimey that's hard fishing when the 2oz fish are the better ones! That does sort of tally with my experience of canals though as the better fish on them tend to be equivalent to the smaller ones on rivers 🤔
all about expectations I guess. Back in the 80s - 5 pounds was a good match weight on the Grand Union. That's only 40 fish when they are 2 oz. a piece.
personally - I'd rather do that than either catch 120 blades for 4 pounds or one bream for 4 pounds.

In those days there seemed to be very few caster or hemp fish on those stretches .... you'd rarely see a roach above 4oz. The larger targets were Skimmers, Bream and Perch.
That might have been due to the impact of a 100 peg match though!

Pompous git

Site Supporter
If there are too many carp for whatever reason then I don`t see a problem with a cull.

Don`t beat me up, not looking for an argument but they are not exactly excusive.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
all about expectations I guess. Back in the 80s - 5 pounds was a good match weight on the Grand Union. That's only 40 fish when they are 2 oz. a piece.
personally - I'd rather do that than either catch 120 blades for 4 pounds or one bream for 4 pounds.

In those days there seemed to be very few caster or hemp fish on those stretches .... you'd rarely see a roach above 4oz. The larger targets were Skimmers, Bream and Perch.
That might have been due to the impact of a 100 peg match though!
True does just seem to be smaller fish on them doesn’t there. 40 roach on the Thames here especially if hemp fish would usually give you about 10lb but the same number on Oxford canal would usually give you half that at best. Now you mention skimmers they seem to be the opposite with a bigger stamp coming out of the canal than the river. Strange how all these things work out isn’t it!

smiffy

Site Supporter
But it’s not hard fishing😉. The fish are just smaller. You were probably getting more bites on a canal match then than a commercial match now. The towpath circuit was probably the biggest circuit going. It produced many of this countries finest anglers.
It was very rare that anyone ran away with a canal match and big fish were always a massive risk👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
But it’s not hard fishing😉. The fish are just smaller. You were probably getting more bites on a canal match then than a commercial match now. The towpath circuit was probably the biggest circuit going. It produced many of this countries finest anglers.
It was very rare that anyone ran away with a canal match and big fish were always a massive risk👍
Unfortunately they are lesser in size and numbers when I fish canals as I’m hopeless at them 😂 I’ve had one really good session on the K&A canal but on the Oxford canal all but one have been poor from about 10 attempts. It’s certainly much harder than river fishing for me! Obviously done a hell of a lot more of one than the other but even at the start rivers weren’t as hard as I still find canals

smiffy

Site Supporter
Unfortunately they are lesser in size and numbers when I fish canals as I’m hopeless at them 😂 I’ve had one really good session on the K&A canal but on the Oxford canal all but one have been poor from about 10 attempts. It’s certainly much harder than river fishing for me! Obviously done one a lot more than the other but even at the start rivers weren’t as hard as I still find canals
Yes. When I say they’re not hard I meant “if you are experienced” They can be daunting and tricky but not impossible.
The sort of venue I’d love to matchfish but hate to pleasure fish👍

Zerkalo

I'm surprised by the amount of catches I see reported on here and on youtube videos of 'big' fish (mostly Bream but Chub and stamp Roach too) on canals these days. Back when I used to fish them even Roach of any size were rare compared to Gudgeon and a bonus fish would usually mean you stood a chance.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Nearly every open I fish down here has a silvers pool - a match within a match - there are some anglers who fish for nothing else all year round.
As you know Chris, that’s all I do as well as two or three silvers festivals at Stafford Moor