Carp above 8lbs

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm guessing in some cases it's maybe because they can't fish rivers for geographical or health reasons and would like to be able to compete in matches with silvers year round on lakes? As @chefster says would be a bit pointless them fishing them if they had no hope of winning. Would agree though if they have got a decent river, canal, natural lake nearby then there would be no reason for them to give up match fishing.
Nearly every open I fish down here has a silvers pool - a match within a match - there are some anglers who fish for nothing else all year round.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Basically what it amounts to , is a certain few on here, say they don’t like fishing for carp, only want to fish for silvers, and blame carp for them packing in matchfishing, and ruining fisheries, they always do it on every thread , 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I don't fish competitively, but surely the idea is to fish to win. I've seen match anglers switch (horses mid stream) tactics to silvers and win a section when the F1's and carp weren't biting - and matches too in the last round. Providing a mix of fish is surely the best way and the good angler will adapt (subject to conditions) in an attept to maximise his weight(s). Taking one or more of the species out of the water achieves what? I've fished for big bream in a water which has 30lb Carp in it and been proud to do so. What I find sad, as someone has already mentioned here, is the migration, here in the south, away from match styles lakes (commercials) to specimen waters only. I think that policy works to the detriment of fishing generally (from a Course point of view, one which I endorse). I'm not interested in turning back to the dark side (can't anyway with Covid at the mo'). Fortunately Monk Lakes and Orchard Farm in my area have not completely succumbed to this temptation. Long may they continue to do so. Faced with the prospect of lazing in a bivvy for hours on end, I'd take up tiddlywinks!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Would be pointless to me , might as well go pleasure fishing to do that, waste of money matchfishing, if you’re not going to try to win 🤷‍♂️
if I go there, its mainly with the Medway trotters an informal club I belong too

I will book in on the gig, not so much for the trying to win owt, but the company and craic of the day, which is very good, theres a wide range of skill in the club, from very very good to joe average, suits me fine

they all know im gonna fish for silvers and humour me summat rotten, sometimes they even have a silvers only pool depending on the lake fished for some of us to gather a bitta coin

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
if I go there, its mainly with the Medway trotters an informal club I belong too

I will book in on the gig, not so much for the trying to win owt, but the company and craic of the day, which is very good, theres a wide range of skill in the club, from very very good to joe average, suits me fine

they all know im gonna fish for silvers and humour me summat rotten, sometimes they even have a silvers only pool depending on the lake fished for some of us to gather a bitta coin
I sometimes go with a match club on a Thursday, similar to what you were saying, we nearly always have a “blind pairs” pool as well, which helps spread some love ❤️

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
"What I find sad, as someone has already mentioned here, is the migration, here in the south, away from match styles lakes (commercials) to specimen waters only."

Colemans Cottage, Tylers Common, Puddledock Farm, Southend Farm, Fennes Fishery, just a few waters that have matches near me in the South East...

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter

I can understand that attitude Mick, but I also get @chefster as if you go to the trouble of entering an open, paying £25 to enter, fuel, bait, tackle purchases, there is scant point if not trying to win, or at least win a section if you are in the wrong area.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can understand that attitude Mick, but I also get @chefster as if you go to the trouble of entering an open, paying £25 to enter, fuel, bait, tackle purchases, there is scant point if not trying to win, or at least win a section if you are in the wrong area.
really the only matches I take seriously are gigs on the military canal (my home water) opens leagues or clubbies

all the prep, maybe a couple days practicing, and I fish hard during the match

and beat myself up all the way home if I dont do well

horses for courses really aint it

nejohn

Site Supporter
The way I see it is the problem with having a large stock of carp in a lake is when you feed them with a lot of high protein feed the inconsiderate buggers grow quite big, which then creates a problem for the lake owners of what to do with his lake now that instead of having 100's of nice 2-3lb carp swimming about minding there own business he now has a lake with 100's of 10lb+ carp swimming about minding every bodies business much to the determent of other stocked species, that is when attendances can start to decline so the owner often then converts his general coarse fishery into a specimen syndicate lake.

Personally I think the stocking of a large quantity of fast growing fish with the potential to reach 30lb+ was a very short sighted practice in the 1st place and was asking for problems further down the line. We can not stop the fish growing if we are going to keep feeding them ..! I think a better policy would have been to stock a smaller quantity of carp and a larger quantity of species that had less growth potential, sport would have remained good and there was still the prospect of the odd monster if you had the inclination to fish for them. Maybe we would not have the extremely large match weights that we are now seeing on some waters but the weights could still have been high. I am not putting people down for fishing for carp after all you can only catch what is put in front of you, what I am saying is that it was generally very poor fishery management in the first place and more thought should have been given to what the lake would be like 10 years down the line and stocking density and species better controlled and managed by both the owner and the EA.

All that said were are where we are and can not change it however no one forces anyone to fish carp dominated waters and those that enjoy them pay their money and have a good days fishing. It is a shame we do not have more well balanced, well stocked mixed fisheries available on a day ticket but if they don't make money who can blame the owners for not making the investment. Bottom line for me is no one makes me fish the waters I fish apart from me, if I don't enjoy fishing them for whatever reason I don't go, but if others want to fish them then all I ask is do it responsibly and don't give angling a bad name, other than that enjoy yourselves.

Carp attack

We just don’t get the issue down here, nearly all matches have a silvers payout and as already said, in winter we have plenty of silvers matches.
Where I fish they have a winter league which gets fantastic weights an fantastic fishing ( messingham sands ), am not knocking it or ppl who fish it,, it's there choice to that, equally in the open matches how can you knock a bloke for winning if he has sat out for carp instead of going for silvers??? Isnt that good angling?
I also dont agree with silver matches where carp count as a pound, Ppl just fish for carp 🤦‍♂️ pointless,,

Carp attack

Also, opens where I fish dont have the option of a silvers pool,, so it's a case of make your mind up as to what you want to do,,,
And this time if year I'd say that the odds are more in favour of the silver angler at messingham unless your sat on a ball of carp,,,

Last edited:

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Where I fish they have a winter league which gets fantastic weights an fantastic fishing ( messingham sands ), am not knocking it or ppl who fish it,, it's there choice to that, equally in the open matches how can you knock a bloke for winning if he has sat out for carp instead of going for silvers??? Isnt that good angling?
I also dont agree with silver matches where carp count as a pound, Ppl just fish for carp 🤦‍♂️ pointless,,
I’m not knocking anyone for winning, that’s the aim of it. I also don’t agree with carp counting as 1oz, 8oz or any other weight in a silvers match, it should be silvers only, I have no interest in fishing matches where carp are counted as x value - natural venue matches that don’t count pike don’t do it, why should commercials with carp.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’m not knocking anyone for winning, that’s the aim of it. I also don’t agree with carp counting as 1oz, 8oz or any other weight in a silvers match, it should be silvers only, I have no interest in fishing matches where carp are counted as x value - natural venue matches that don’t count pike don’t do it, why should commercials with carp.
Ive won river matches with pike 😂

smiffy

Site Supporter
I don't fish competitively, but surely the idea is to fish to win. I've seen match anglers switch (horses mid stream) tactics to silvers and win a section when the F1's and carp weren't biting - and matches too in the last round. Providing a mix of fish is surely the best way and the good angler will adapt (subject to conditions) in an attept to maximise his weight(s). Taking one or more of the species out of the water achieves what? I've fished for big bream in a water which has 30lb Carp in it and been proud to do so. What I find sad, as someone has already mentioned here, is the migration, here in the south, away from match styles lakes (commercials) to specimen waters only. I think that policy works to the detriment of fishing generally (from a Course point of view, one which I endorse). I'm not interested in turning back to the dark side (can't anyway with Covid at the mo'). Fortunately Monk Lakes and Orchard Farm in my area have not completely succumbed to this temptation. Long may they continue to do so. Faced with the prospect of lazing in a bivvy for hours on end, I'd take up tiddlywinks!
Providing a good mix of fish would see me back fishing competitively again in a flash. But it just won’t happen. The failure of Silver only lakes has proven that. Big fish should be a risk. One that may or may not pay off. If someone is going to get a 20lb Carp then you should be able to get 20lb of Roach or skimmers or a few Tench or a mixture of anything really. Wether they pull back or not is irrelevant to me but being competitive and having options is.

As chefster said earlier. It is what it is and I’ve accepted that. It doesn’t stop me from trying to understand why others prefer, what I consider, unfair matches. The harder the match the fairer😉

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The silvers only matches were always very popular on our lakes last year (before this Covid made fishing hit and miss). We filled the first lake and any overspill went onto lake 2. We have 12 or 13 species of fish to go for and hoping they'll be as popular when things get a bit more relaxed.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I've only ever landed them when the don't count!
I remember coming fourth in section on a Nene National where the three that beat me all had pike.
It’s only been the nationals that I’ve fished where they counted. Been some dubious practices involved in trying to get one😉 Punched bread using a fish shape pastry cutter was one😂 So rumour has it.