Carp above 8lbs

Line Clip

In the latest Q and A with Des Ship he was asked what is views are on CARP, and the maximum size suitable for
commercial match fishing,
He suggested, that 8lbs would be a good limit, if that was possible, as removal can be difficult in many ways (quote)
Our main match water has carp to 18lbs, with many 14lbs plus coming out regular in the summer months, not many
are hooked and landed in matches, most being carp of 3lbs --- 8lbs
The larger carp tend to be targeted by the specimen lads or feeder angler, if these larger carp were removed from the pool
the club fear that the pleasure/ specimen/ type angler would lose out, so the vote is to leave them be.
Whats your view?
Do you think carp over 8lbs are to big in matches for the pole angler,give us your view.
Must admit I personalty like the chance of catching a larger carp in a match, specially on the feeder, or down the edge on
geared up tackle,

Silver fan 82

As a pleasure / specimen angler I personally think that carp over 8lb are too big for match fishing. I don't think larger carp should be kept in keepnets either. Many times I've seen carp with damaged fins because of it and many times I've seen big carp bent double in a landing net that's too small. Just my opinion.
I understand that match anglers need to build a weight of fish quickly however but if a match water was stocked and managed correctly then this is achievable with a good head of smaller carp?
Would be interested to see what the match anglers take on it is.

CarpCatcher86

This is yet another way for the match boys out there to prove they are a little strange. Call me silly if you like but they are one of the only groups of anglers I have seen who complain about fish being too big. How is that possible in the weight obsessed world of match fishing?
That would be like a TDF rider complaining their bike was too light, or an F1 driver complaining his car was too fast.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
As a pleasure / specimen angler I personally think that carp over 8lb are too big for match fishing. I don't think larger carp should be kept in keepnets either. Many times I've seen carp with damaged fins because of it and many times I've seen big carp bent double in a landing net that's too small. Just my opinion.
I understand that match anglers need to build a weight of fish quickly however but if a match water was stocked and managed correctly then this is achievable with a good head of smaller carp?
Would be interested to see what the match anglers take on it is.
Leave them in for me , Westlands and a few other fisheries dont want fish above 10lb in nets ,they want them weighed and put straight back in ,awkward in a match i know .

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not coming from a match view but once carp get to about that size you do have up the gear if you're serious about landing lots of them which can be to the detriment of fishing for other species. Getting the odd one of that size is obviously fine and quite fun but it's not always ideal if they are all that big if there are too many of them. I stopped fishing a local reservoir for tench because it reached the point where there were so many say 7-10lb carp that the gear required to fool the say 3-6lb tench was getting repeatedly smashed as you'd hook probably on average 3 carp for every tench. I assume similar issues can arise in matches as well.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I don't think its a case of big carp on the pole... I'm more concerned about big carp in keepnets... when you see anglers putting doubles in a net I get worried about fish welfare

Line Clip

Leave them in for me , Westlands and a few other fisheries dont want fish above 10lb in nets ,they want them weighed and put straight back in ,awkward in a match i know .
Yes that's what our club do, any carp thought to be over 8lbs caught in a match is weighed straight away, and put back (not allowed to be put in keep net)
most of our lads have a big landing net ready, just in case.

Line Clip

This is yet another way for the match boys out there to prove they are a little strange. Call me silly if you like but they are one of the only groups of anglers I have seen who complain about fish being too big. How is that possible in the weight obsessed world of match fishing?
That would be like a TDF rider complaining their bike was too light, or an F1 driver complaining his car was too fast.
We are talking individual fish weight not overall weight.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
At this rate there'll be nothing left in any English waters except CARP
Thats another pet hate of mine... why do carp have to be in every water...? We have a non carp water and we get carpers moaning that theres none in it despite there being two other waters they can fish... its just pure selfishness... boils my pee so it does... nowt worse than catching Roach and just getting em going when sodding carp move into the peg

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ive often thought about this very thing

Ive lost count of the number of times Ive worked my bo11ocks off catching a net of silvers in a winter match only for a lad to hook a 15lbish carp right at the death and do me

its often the same in matches on our club ponds, lads fish tidy and hard all the five hours, catching the average carp which vary between 1 and 5lb and a guy sits on the feeder and maybe hooks and nets two or three of the bigger fish that go mid to upper doubles

I know its a tactic and I know its fair, but it breaks your heart when it happens

R0B

Thats another pet hate of mine... why do carp have to be in every water...? We have a non carp water and we get carpers moaning that theres none in it despite there being two other waters they can fish... its just pure selfishness... boils my pee so it does... nowt worse than catching Roach and just getting em going when sodding carp move into the peg
When I was a kid, carp were special - they weren't really artificially stocked anywhere much and catching one was a real treat. Nowadays I look at the commercials near me, in case the rivers are badly flooded, and they just seem to be carp carp carp, match sized, double sized and monster sized - I wanna catch tench and rudd

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
a lot of ponds need a few carp in em, they root up the bottom and get the other fish going, the problem is when theres too many carp

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Years ago I used to fish a farm pond in Thorney near to Lincoln. The farmer plus me and dad along with the EA used to net it every November. Primarily to remove the rudd but, every other year we would remove any carp over the 6lb mark. Those rudd and carp that were netted out were then swapped for 4 to 6” mirrors and commons. It worked really well as the EA did say that the larger carp will only end up stunted in the long run. Pleasure anglers seemed happy enough especially with the removal of the millions of little rudd we took out.

Line Clip

Ive often thought about this very thing

Ive lost count of the number of times Ive worked my bo11ocks off catching a net of silvers in a winter match only for a lad to hook a 15lbish carp right at the death and do me

its often the same in matches on our club ponds, lads fish tidy and hard all the five hours, catching the average carp which vary between 1 and 5lb and a guy sits on the feeder and maybe hooks and nets two or three of the bigger fish that go mid to upper doubles

I know its a tactic and I know its fair, but it breaks your heart when it happens
Yes you are so right, many a match is won with a targeted big carp in the last five minuets.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There's nothing wrong with them being in every water (hell there's even the odd few in I'd imagine every river) it's just annoying when there's so many in some places as @mickthechippy says that you cannot avoid them. I fished a couples places last closed season that had the odd carp in them but I never hooked one and i used to fish a lake where on average you'd hook one a day but unfortunately places like that are the exception rather than the rule.

Like you I like catching carp but don't want to be repeatedly hooking them when fishing for roach! Like @R0B eludes to they are, at least certainly once of a decent size, best as a bit of a special fish that take a bit of catching rather than one that's a formality as by catch let alone when targeted.