Caring for Maggots

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter

Having returned to fishing only a few months ago I would be grateful for some guidance on how best to look after maggots and keep them in good condition.
My local tackle shop only put in a very small quantity of sawdust with the maggots I buy.
The maggots soon turn this into a wet, sticky and very smelly mess. I live some distance from the shop so I always have to buy the maggots at least a day before I use them.
Do I need to keep the maggots cooler? If so, does a 'fridge have to be used, as I can't see "her indoors" standing for it! On another site I have seen reference to putting maize in with maggots. Is this a good idea & where do I obtain it?
Any tips will be gratefully received.
Thanks,
Hunter

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Hunter,

When you buy your maggots, if they come in sawdust then when you get them home riddle off the sawdust and then place the maggots in a tub with a small handfull of maize dust or fine breadcrumb.

This will keep them dry for days.
Also place them on a stone or concrete floor as this will help keep them fresh

All the best,

Dave

carpbob3

This is from Improve your Coarse Fishing......

If your keeping Maggots in the fridge for a few days damp sawdust is best as it keeps the grubs moistand unlike maize prevents them from shrinking. Maize stops the maggots from sweating, and softens the bait making it more active........

Personally i put a little ground bait in mine...... However it is best to keep them cold keep them in a shed or garage overnight. Im fortunate that i have a bait fridge but i have just given my son some maggots that have been in there 2 1/2 weeks and they are fine (these were in a mix of tumeric and ground bait) you will find that the colder they are the less movement there is and they may look dead give them 30mins or so and they will be active again ....... best of luck

Bob

if your not fishing your not living

carpbob3

you can buy maize from your local tackle shop

if your not fishing your not living

Last edited:

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
As an alternative if you have a cooler box use this, with an ice pack. Remember to replace the ice pack periodicaly.

To help stop maggots sweating split them into several containers so as to allow free movement.

chill out go fishing

BlythMags

I find that riddling the maize off and adding a couple of tablespoons of turmeric seems to do the trick.

Mind you, I leave mine in the bottom (vegetable) tray of our fridge.

I remove the maggot box lid and cover the box with a pair of my wife's tights, as keeping the lid on makes them sweat.

I've got some in there now that I've had for about 2 weeks and they're perfectly fine for tomorrow's trip.

I would just hide them under a tray of baking spuds to make sure your good lady doesn't spot them.

PoleRoller2003

'Pole Breaker'
i always stick my maggots in the fridge in the kitchen with(food) i have stored maggots for a few weeks 2. i just add a little ground bait . i think the fridge is the best place of all

poleroller2003
chris the name fish the game

joe1987

'Darwener'
If your'e keeping them for a week or so i would reccomend putting them in a plastic bag and tying a tight knot leaving a little air in, then just put them in your shed, garage, fridge or even outside under a (upside-down) bucket. This puts them in suspended animation and they are as fresh as when you put them in the bag.

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

BlythMags

.....and the tights ensure that they don't launch any bids for freedom.

If my wife could have seen the fridge last night (I didn't have the tight fully over the box) she would have dropped down dead, right there on the garage floor.

I didn't realise they could climb, but they are in a shallow 2 pint box as opposed to the normal 3 pint ones.

That reminds me, I must renew our life insurance!

Alan

brady

one tip if you havent got a bait fridge is to float the bait tub in a bucket of cold water they should last for at least a couple of days

mike s

Get yourself a maggot riddle & "shake" off the old sawdust. Replace with fresh sawdust every 2 days. If you can't have a fridge,then get a big coolbox & icepacks(change packs at least once a day). Don't keep them in maize, as it goes sour quickly-riddle off the sawdust & replace with maize the night before using them.

Cumbria Angling Centre

chris

quote:Originally posted by BlythMags

I remove the maggot box lid and cover the box with a pair of my wife's tights, as keeping the lid on makes them sweat.

I've got some in there now that I've had for about 2 weeks and they're perfectly fine for tomorrow's trip.

if you have any more spare tights that your missus doesnt want then can i have a pair[:p]

BlythMags

No - when I'm not using them to cover maggots, I'm wearing them!!

[:D]

A quick story:

This morning, at 5 am to be exact, my wife woke me up in a complete panic (you know, when you wake and think someone's breaking into the house?).

Seems she popped downstairs to feed the cats and there were maggots all over the kitchen floor!!

When I got back from a day's fishing yesterday I quickly sorted my gear out and put the old (almost dead) maggots in a plastic bag, tied a knot in it and dumped them in the kithchen bin with the intention of emptying them into the outside bin in the morning.

I reckon one of the cats must have getting into the bin and opened the bag - they were everywhere!

Some had crawled to the other side of the kitchen and one was spotted in the dining room!!

Well, the question is - do maggots transform into flies, or something?

Also - how can this be possible? I sit all day long with my maggot box open and none escape, but these had managed to crawl up the side of the bin and were making a dash for freedom?

Finally - how does everyone else dispose of their maggots and does anyone esle have any interesting anecdotes of this nature?

As for the missus - she's still alive although she did make some rather strange noises......and convulsed a little!!

Needless to say - maggots are now officially banished from the house.

Alan

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
A neighbour (the flat above us) was making our life hell, parties late at night and constant bad music. Margaret is not well and the constant noise caused a bit of stress which can affect her asthma. Try speaking to him or her, and you get a load of verbal excuse. The girl language was some of the worst I have heard.

Well one fine day he left the sun roof on his car open, and I am not sure how but the maggots in a box on my balcony found their way into his car.

He was heard complaining a couple of weeks later about all the flies in his car,[:D] Not nice I know but I had to chuckle. He even had some through his letter box, but his flat was such a tip (I saw the state of it after he moved out) I doubt if he had noticed.

Normally after a session I freeze the maggots and use them for loose feed the next time I go.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Lid

Geoff, you probably know this, but if they are council tenants, then you can do something about the anti social behaviour.

On the subject of maggots in the house, this is our story. Last year the local neighbourhood jackdaws decided to nest in our chimney. I didn't notice at first as they are around every year. When I did spot them, I was going to give them rapid lead injections, but then promptly forgot all about it.

Sometime in late May we noticed a lot of greenbottles in the living room. Every time I got rid of them there was a new lot. They seemed to be mostly near the fireplace. I remembered the jackdaws, so sealed it with a bin bag, but the flies kept coming. A few days later when I was working in London, the missus rang to say the living room carpet was infested with greenbottle chrysalises which were hatching in batches.

Over the next few evenings I had to move all the furniture and pull up carpets to get rid of the hundreds of these tiny little beggars.

We also called a chimney sweep but he couldn't do anything till a Corgi registered gas fitter moved the gas fire. This cost fortune - 90 for the sweep and about 150 for the gas man as it was an emergency call out charged at some extortionate rate.

When the sweep cleared the chimney, he found that the two young jackdaws had died, as they couldn't get out the chimney, and the maturing maggots had been falling down into the fireplace and then crawling into the carpet where they then turned.

Ive now got a simple metal cage on the chimney pot.

Lid [:)]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
As geoff says freeze them, I put my left over maggots in a plastic bag and throw them in the freezer. This is also an ideal time to add some flavour if you require.
Most of my frozen maggots go in to my barbel loose feed. BUT they are good as loose feed to as they lie on the bottom and dont crawl away as a live maggot would do. I live a good distance from the nearest tackle shop. So some of the frozen maggots get used as bait to. I have had some good catches of roach and rudd on dead maggots in fact a friend won a match straight after I told him about them.
If you intend to use frozen maggots put them in water after they have defrosted this helps stop them turning brown

chill out go fishing

Simon R

Site Supporter
I remember many moons ago when I still lived with the parents I used to leave my maggots in the garage. There was an old chest of drawers that my dad used for his d******ing equipment and just enough room under it for me to slide a couple of tubs of maggots.

I always used to get the odd 'escapee' but that wasn't really a problem, then one summer holiday I'd bought some fresh maggots, forgetting about the pint I already had under the old chest of drawers. Three or four weeks later I was returning from a fishing trip, walked round the side of the garage and noticed something strange.

Has anyone ever seen the film 'The Amityville Horror' where a window gets covered in flies? - well thats what the garage window looked like - black with flies from top to bottom. That was when I remembered the pint of maggots I hadn't used (apparently a pint is about 2000 maggots). My dad found about it too when he returned from work and attempted to put his car in the garage.

I was then propelled forcibly into the garage with a can of fly spray and ordered not to leave till I'd got rid of 'em all. Half-an-hour later after spraying manically at kamikaze bluebottles that didn't know they were supposed to be dead, I was left with a large pile of buzzing flies all over the garage floor.

That cetainly taught me a lesson though and all my unused bait used to get flung out for the birds or bagged and binned after that. First thing I did after leaving home was buy a second-hand fridge (cost about 15 and is still going strong 15 years later).

Tight Lines

Simon

norm

lol simon

i have had 3 major escapes in the house

for some reason woman do not see the funny side

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hello mate,

Instead of using maize try using ordinary flour self raising or plain does not matter it makes the maggots softer then when u use maize keeps them cleaner and in my opinion makes them last longer

tight lines

Ray

Where there is one Bream there are many more

Status
Not open for further replies.