Cardiac Care, Am I Expecting Too Much?

steve 56

To be honest with my experience of the NHS over the last 4 1/2 yrs with my heart problem ( mines 26%) you have only just started with the false promises and cancelled appointments that never get rearranged and the ultimately nobody’s interested stage.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
In 2009 had some very delicate cervical spine surgery, following an accident when I broke my neck. On discharge, the consultant neuro surgeon told me that heW wanted to see me in two weeks. The following day I was offered an appointment in 4 months. When I told the nice lady that the surgeon said two weeks she said "he doesn't make appointments, I do, take it or leave it" I left it. It was one of the reasons why we moved to France.
In comparison, a month ago I had a heart investigation in Limoge. It involved injecting me with a radioactive isotope and then conducting a scan. It measures perfusion of blood into the heart muscle.
When it was over I was asked to wait for 20 mins and was then seen by the consultant radiologist who explained the results an gave me a folder with the report and a DVD of all of the images. This is standard practice.

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
In 2001 I had an investigation which was expected to end in the insertion of a stent. When all my plumbing was found to be clear, a confused cardiac team started digging around for the real cause of my problems. Eventually, they diagnosed LVF (left ventricular failure) which was partially repaired with the installation of a pacemaker. Since having this device fitted, I had regular 6 monthly appointments at the local heart and lung department and once a year appointment with a consultant. This went on until about 4 years ago when the consultant retired and the technology changed. Now, I have a yearly appointment which does nothing more than check my batteries, as I’m monitored 24/7 by a wireless device beside my bed. If anything goes wrong the monitoring device triggers the cardiac team and sends an ambulance, quite an impressive bit of kit!

This is all organised by the NHS. I’ve got plenty of reasons to mark the NHS down as a failure, but the cardiac care my local hospital supplies cant be faulted. I suppose different regions offer different levels of care!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There is a lot of demand on the cardiology departments caused by heart issues as a legacy of covid, I'm one of them, so it's a case of being patient in more ways than one, or as someone posted arrange a private consultation if you want to queue jump.

:)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Don't want to queue jump. Just a realistic time scale. Why promise something you know you cannot deliver?

As I indicated in my op, this isn't just one issue, it is a list stretching back eight years.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Forget the issues going back 8 years, whilst they may have happened, the issue is gone. The hospital staff will not be interested needing to concentrate on the current issues they face. Additionally it does your state of health no good brooding on past issues - I'm sure that in 2/3 weeks you will be telling us that you have been responded to.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Not brooding on it, people seem to be assuming I am upset by just recent events. The catalogue of problems indicates a long standing issue with the running of the department. Were it to have been a one off event I would have no issues. But it seems that every time I have contact with the department something is not right. And I am talking basic admin, not care received, nursing or procedures.

As an ex admin manager it annoys me when I see people paid for doing a bad job.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Sorry Neil but admin in a bank is a world away from admin in a hospital.
The number of variables a hospital has to deal with every day would probably blow our minds if they were explained

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Neil there are two ways of looking at this.

1 ) wake up in the morning and think " YAY I am alive and will enjoy the day "

2 ) wake up in the morning and think
"Oh sh*t, another day nearer to the coffin"

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
You could always open a complaint procedure with the hospital department...

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Neil,

I think some of your concerns are valid and some less so (as per my previous post) ... but whatever I'm wishing you a speedy resolution to these issues.
There is no doubt that there is huge variability in quality of admin between hospitals and even between consultants - it's definitely worth chasing politely (as I'm sure you do).