Carbon pulla wraps

IanG1

Site Supporter
Had a few topkits with no carbon reinforcement for side pullas so decided to have a bash myself. Picked up a kit from D.I.Y. Pole Repair Kit. and spent the afternoon on the project.
Masked off an area in same place as my other pullas and lightly keyed with 600 grit wet and dry
IMG_20210605_121157.jpg

Next mixed up the resin 3 to 1 as per instructions, a little goes a long way so 2g of hardner to 6g of resin was plenty to lightly coat 5 kits, left for 2 hours to go tacky and removed the tape
IMG_20210605_143536.jpg

Next applied the carbon weave after making a template to wrap the section around twice. Working with a brush and a new batch of resin I gently worked around the circumference making sure everything was covered. You then apply the finishing tape to squeeze the resin through the weave which provides the strength and tape to hold it till the resin sets IMG_20210605_155733.jpg
Going to leave overnight to fully cure and big reveal tomorrow see how it's gone.
Quite straightforward really just took my time. Think I'd tackle a broken section if I get unlucky if I built a jig to hold square.

John Step

Site Supporter
Very good when you are capable as you obviously are. I bought a Vespe slide over kit for a tenner and it seems OK.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I did a couple of my old Daiwa power kits, simply bought the carbon and used araldite slow setting epoxy. The hardest part is getting the carbon weave not to fray when cutting or working the resin into the weave.

You can also use thick sellotape or brown parcel tape reversed to squeeze the resin out, ( tape one end down and then wrap in a spiral sticky side up).

RMNDIL

My only worry would be what grade the kits are made from. If it's too high then their lack of ability to absorb with a puller system in use could mean exploding carbon. Don't want to worry you but it's worth being careful and gradually applying pressure until you know their limits (if one explodes then you'll know it's limit !!). I've seen it plenty of times before. Some kits are not meant to be wrapped so they aren't.

IanG1

Site Supporter
My only worry would be what grade the kits are made from. If it's too high then their lack of ability to absorb with a puller system in use could mean exploding carbon. Don't want to worry you but it's worth being careful and gradually applying pressure until you know their limits (if one explodes then you'll know it's limit !!). I've seen it plenty of times before. Some kits are not meant to be wrapped so they aren't.
They are all xitan slk power kits so pretty sure they are up to the job.

satinet

Site Supporter
I did a couple of my old Daiwa power kits, simply bought the carbon and used araldite slow setting epoxy. The hardest part is getting the carbon weave not to fray when cutting or working the resin into the weave.

You can also use thick sellotape or brown parcel tape reversed to squeeze the resin out, ( tape one end down and then wrap in a spiral sticky side up).
You can get spray to help. It's a very fine mist spray you can spray the cloth and the weave doesn't separate when you cut it. You can also use it to tack the cloth to the work piece.

3m '77 spray was considered the default option in the RC world, but I think they changed the formula and it's very expensive any way.

Nicky Dodds

You can get spray to help. It's a very fine mist spray you can spray the cloth and the weave doesn't separate when you cut it. You can also use it to tack the cloth to the work piece.

3m '77 spray was considered the default option in the RC world, but I think they changed the formula and it's very expensive any way.
You can buy stabilized carbon sheet from easy composites.