Carafin Lake, Co. Cavan - some myths busted

corkycat

Just had five days in Cavan and for the first time in Ireland I had the self-discipline NOT to roam from venue to venue each day. I spent all five days on Carafin Lake and pre-baited the same swim at forty yards each evening, using a bait sling and old carp rod. First two days it was the regulation roach and small hybrids, and it was at this point I would normally have lost patience and fecked off to another lake. However I sat it out and on the third and fourth days it was a slab or good hybrid every other chuck. One manhole cover proved to be my P.B. of 8lb 4oz. (The one in the picture was just under 5lb).

The bait was not expensive either. There were no casters or chopped worm in it, just Vitalin soaked in molasses, stewed wheat, corn, and a bit of crumb to help form the balls.

I seem to read everywhere that Irish bream (if the've not all been eaten by eastern Europeans) can only be caught early morning or evening and that there must be low light and a stiff breeze in your face. Sorry, but I don't buy those excuses. My fish were caught in the middle of the day, in bright sunshine and with hardly a ripple on the water. Sorry if I am preaching to the converted, but if you stay in the one location, persevere, and pre-bait, you can spend every night in the pub, down a full Irish breakfast each morning and still bag up during the day.

2019-08-10 17.57.20.jpg

fredradac

Site Supporter
Sadly it is now 13 years since my last visit to Cavan and I'm thinking I should have followed the advice you are offering. Did I flit from water to water looking for instant success? Guilty as charged.

Super Rocket

Site Supporter
Well done, great to hear some good news coming out of Ireland, always the advice to stick to one or two venues and prebait and you proved that, not an easy task when you only are over there for a few days. Let's hope the fish are kind to us in 3 weeks time

corkycat

Well done, great to hear some good news coming out of Ireland, always the advice to stick to one or two venues and prebait and you proved that, not an easy task when you only are over there for a few days. Let's hope the fish are kind to us in 3 weeks time
Would you mind letting us know how you get on please?

Super Rocket

Site Supporter
Will do, famed for my Ireland Angling reports, already planning our 8 fishing days out, start with prebaiting either Garadice or Gowna, with some initial float fishing on the estate lake nr Glasshouse whilst awaiting the Billies(Bream) to settle on our prebait.

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
That brings back some memories of times long past ....prebaited that for 2 days many years back in pursuit of the big doubles that supposedly lived there ...gave it two days and we did have some lumps up to about 8.12 if i remember ...one lad might have hit a nine (long time ago cant remember exactly)but not a great quantity of them .
What i do remember was that there was some clunking big rudd in there then

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
And you mentioned catching in middle of day..
We always preferred a hooley blowing in your face and cloudy and to be honest most times we did catch better but i remember being right down the east bay on lough forbes ...two days prebaiting and an hell of an hump with the gear .got there early flat calm and going to be hot really didnt fancy it only mate saying after all the hard work prepping it youve got to give it an hour otherwise id have switched to running the stick down the shannon on pogues bend
Best days waggler fishing in my life 49 slabs from about 3.8 to 6 lb mainly the bigger ones
Stood 20 yards out in water in waders and chucking my old mate from ireland geoff coopers home made 8 swan huge bodied wagglers at long range ..physically hard work small balls laced with pv1 binder and as much caster as you could get in them constantly rolling and catapulting long range
Stunning days fishing ...one of my best memories of fishing ....End of day me and my mate tel sat on some rocks in water back of swim knackered having a brew watching the sun go down with huge smiles on our faces ....what about tomorrow he said ...bugger tomorrow we will sort that when we get up
Told the wife when i die shes spreading my ashes there .
Still makes me smile every time i think about it ...point being not a drop of wind red hot big wagglers hitting the water and constant small balls going in and they kept coming
Tel did 48 done him by one just to top it lol

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
Oh and about 3.5 ft deep hence the extreme range as its very shallow down that part of the arm .... defies everything i thought i knew about bream fishing