Car valuation. Astra estate automatic.

tonerain

Site Supporter
Can anyone help me value a car? It's my wife's car and is a 2012 ("11 reg") Vauxhall Astra Exclusiv estate: automatic: 1.6cc. We bought it in 2017.
It's only done 19,801 miles and has a full 12 month MOT and is taxed to 1/9/2022.
I've had it serviced every March (just done yesterday) by a local reputable garage and I have all the MOT certificates from 2016 onwards.
Had a new battery with 5 years warranty a year ago and 4 new tyres in 2019.

Have tried to get a price online but it's hard going.

Tony, Sale, Gtr. Manchester.

John Step

Site Supporter
If you can put up with email reminders for a few days un til they get fed up just put the registration in WE BUY ANY CAR ETC.
Will at least give you a start point.

DFL

Site Supporter
Have a look on AutoTrader or similar, you’ll probably find some similar models of that age to give you a rough guide, secondhand values have risen over the past year which is good news for you.

Are you hoping to sell privately or part ex?

tonerain

Site Supporter
Have a look on AutoTrader or similar, you’ll probably find some similar models of that age to give you a rough guide, secondhand values have risen over the past year which is good news for you.

Are you hoping to sell privately or part ex?
Thanks for replying.
We'll be selling privately.
I get a Motability car on which my wife is a named driver, so we no longer need 2 cars.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
^^ Same ^^

Go on auto trader and use advanced search. Enter same age and in 'key words' box type in the trim level (exclusive)

TrickyD

Site Supporter
If you can put up with email reminders for a few days un til they get fed up just put the registration in WE BUY ANY CAR ETC.
Will at least give you a start point.
I would second this. They will give you a price, then knock you down, so be prepared to subtract 10% - 20% from the price they give. It will save it hanging about for weeks. Old low mileage cars are probably harder to sell.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Tax is irrelevant as that doesn’t transfer the same as the old disc did you will get the rebate on that. Low mileage is a tricky one, on something more exotic eg a Porsche 911 is a real bonus, but in something like an Astra it’s not as useful, it does make it attractive to some buyers so will help the price.

What condition is the paintwork and body in? Alloy wheels or steels? Interior clean never been smoked in? Colour? There’s so many factors that make a car sellable.

We but any car is worth a look, equally motorway a website, I’ve been there other side of that on motorway pro which is where the dealers do the bidding from.

7-8k is about where I see it if in exceptional condition, have looked at others but bear in mind a dealer enables people to buy with finance and give a warranty, so you might be looking more to the 7 than the 8 to help the sale.

Car prices for secondhand are very buoyant, due to lack of new, so ideal time to sell.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Be prepared to be disappointed.
Whatever you think it’s worth, knock off £1500, anything you get over that I would see as a bonus.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
7-8k is about where I see it if in exceptional condition,
:eek: For a 10 year old Astra Estate???????? Really?????? I must be missing something, low mileage or not, I just can't see that.
Maybe 3K max if it's an absolute minter but I reckon that's highly optimistic.

MrBen

Site Supporter
:eek: For a 10 year old Astra Estate???????? Really?????? I must be missing something, low mileage or not, I just can't see that.
Car prices at the minute are crackers, regularly seeing people make profit on a car after two to three years of ownership and use. 3k these days doesn’t get you much.

carphauler

Car prices are bonkers at the minute, there's about 20 of those cars on autotrader at the moment nationally and most are normal mileage for year.
With that mileage and good condition a dealer would be looking at £7k upwards on the forecourt so I would be looking to sell to a dealer at around £6k plus or privately a bit more, low mileage bumps up the price a bit.
Lowest mileage I found is this one, ones with average mileage are in the £3k to £4k bracket.

Screenshot_20220325-083010_Samsung Internet.jpg

carphauler

Bet they won't be selling any at those prices though.
Maybe, maybe not, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
I've been looking for a new car for 2 months and what I've seen is prices have gone up a lot and cars with extraordinary low mileage are on forecourts for much higher prices, whether they sell them is another thing.

carphauler

Like I said in another thread, my wife's company car went back during covid she bought a Fiesta 2010 with 42k miles on it last year for £3800,last time I checked online they were selling for around £5500,it's ridiculous.

Robwooly

Geniune low mileage/well maintained cars are really sought after as are automatics, even though it's a vauxhall you can get a good price for it if you are patient and in no rush to sell. I'd look for the best examples of the same model on line and add value to your own regarding the lower mileage if you want the best price.

By patient I also mean tolerant as low mileage motors will get a lot of dealers interested and they will travel quite a way to get something they can double their money (ie buy up north sell down south) so be prepared for some really insulting offers, if you want to sell quick then go the webuyanycar route and get the insulting offer out the way early doors. Maybe sell as 'no offers' to deter dealers and encourage private buyers who want a well maintained car.

The trade price and the private sale price can differ hugely, it's all down to how much hassle you are willing to go through with the sale.

bezzer

Yes, you are missing something! Second hand car prices are through the roof at the moment.
I've just had a chatting to my mate who's a car dealer about a car for my son, and he said he'd have the Astra mentioned above on his Forecourt for £7995

A Private sale would probably see between £6000 and £6500.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I agree about car prices we bought a 1 year old mini cooper clubman this time last year. Kathy took it in to the local mini dealer where we bought it from for service last week and they offered her £1k more than we paid for it. Bit pointless though as we would just have to replace it with something else that will be over priced. Also looked to change my 3 series estate for the same but a little newer, it is a 2013 with 60k on the clock but I would have to pay almost double what I paid for mine to get a 2015 car with similar mileage....might as well keep what I have as there is nothing wrong with it

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Missus's car is a 08 plate 2.0D BMW X3, one owner from new, 57k miles, no rust that I'm aware of, paintwork diamond coated from new, incredibly good condition.

What would that be worth?

Robwooly

My car has gone up in value since getting pictured with the Flying Scotsman behind it :LOL:

Mind you I don't think it's possible it could drop any lower in value :ROFLMAO: