Car tyres repairs

me

Is there any one on here who works in car tyre repairs or does any one know an answer to this question as ive spoken to big tyre companies like ATS and kwick fit and they say its illegal and I've spoken to small garages and they have said no they aren't illegal.

The question is

I had 2 screws in my tyres off a building site. I went to the small local garage I always use for my tyres and repairs to get the screws removed and the punctures repaired.
They used the rubber thread system which most small tyre garages are using by me to repair the puncture.
Today on site I was talking to a mobile tyre fitter who was repairing a puncture in the site fork lift.
He said the rubber thread repair system is illegal on road vehicles and only has a safe speed of 15 mph .
So is the rubber thread repair system safe and legal.aa the small.garages who use it say or is it unsafe and illegal as the big companies say

Thanks in advance for all your replies

SeanB

Site Supporter
I've had punctures repaired in the past, it was a company called Borough Tyres who have a number of garages locally. Never had any problems with them and was never warned about any risks.

carphauler

I think the law just states 'properly repaired' so some companies would deem the thread repair unsafe, personally I would only have a tyre patched and plugged which is what most garages do around here.
The other problem is if you've drove on it flat it can damage the inside, they have no way of checking this if the tyre hasn't been removed.

trotter2

I have had tyres repaired when the cause has been a nail. As far as I know its fine if it's through the tyre but not when it's in the wall of the tyre.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
That’s fine if you can afford it , but not everyone can !

Depends on how you value your life, or others lives. Also depends on circumstances, if I only ever pottered around town in 20/30 mph zones, maybe it would be different, doing motorway miles with a loaded vehicle, no way would I risk it.

peterb

Site Supporter
I've had punctures repaired a few times usually screws and nails , on each occasion they've taken the tyre off , drilled a hole about 3mm dia where the puncture is and put a plug in which fits into the hole from the inside and has a rubber disc shaped head which is bonded inside , never had a problem with them and at over £200 a tyre I wouldn't replace one unless it was near the end of it's life .

D

Deleted member 23692

I've had punctures repaired a few times usually screws and nails , on each occasion they've taken the tyre off , drilled a hole about 3mm dia where the puncture is and put a plug in which fits into the hole from the inside and has a rubber disc shaped head which is bonded inside , never had a problem with them and at over £200 a tyre I wouldn't replace one unless it was near the end of it's life .
That’s because the puncture you’ve had should have occurred in the central three quarters of the tread pattern.

What’s suitable for a piece of plant trundling around a building site isn’t for a vehicle that could be doing 70mph amongst other road users.

If the repair from your local tyre place fails they will be facing a prison sentence depending on the severity of your accident. Is it Really with the risk for the price of a tyre. I see this so much people wanting a mot rule missed so they can keep using the vehicle, if you can’t afford an appropriate correct repair you shouldn’t be on the road.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Personally I won't get a tyre repaired, I would never have the same confidence in the tyre so for piece of mind I would always replace it. I know tyres can be expensive but not half as expensive as the possible consequences if the repair fails

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
On the current Tiguan they are Hankook self seal I had a screw which had gone through on the edge where the tread meets the wall
As it was on the inside edge I never noticed it, no loss of tyre pressure indicated and picked up on a routine service, tyre was changed for a new one.
I have no idea when I picked the screw up but the head was well worn down.
But as others have said if I had found it even in the tread it would have been a replacement tyre just not worth the risk.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
£250 for a tyre for mine.... nope still wouldn't entertain a repair. New tyre and one less fishing rod/reel that year :thinking: