Car Tyres - How Long Should They Last ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Driven sensibly, that is, with a fair mix of motorway and A roads ?

I'm struggling to get 20K out of mine, which works out at 3 sets a year, 600 a set. Not good.

I once got 72K on the rear tyres of a Cavalier SRi, and in those days I was a bit of a maniac driver.

So were am I going wrong ?

[:(][?]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
it doesn't mean anything mate, i had a transit minibus and the tyres lasted me for thousands of miles, a mate had the LDV minibus same kind of size, same tyres, did less milage than me and his lasted half as much!!

Its not just you and your driving its the actual vehicle and how it runs, tracking, toe in/out and loads of other factors like dry turning (power stearing has made this a lot more common)

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
oh and why are they costing you 600 a set? are they solid gold or something?

I used to use roadhogs, 27 each for 165/65/13 and they outlasted any other tyre i've ever used now we're running the mini on yokas they cost around 55-65 a corner and we're lucky if we get two years out of them!

You should also allow for rubber perishing so check the date on the tyres as well

The Saint

Paul
Site Supporter
You think that's bad i'm supposed to change the tyres on the bike every 4000 miles and last one i bought was 165 [:0]and that was the cheapest i could find [:(!]

Philocalist

Was GOBSMACKED a while ago with National Tyres. Even with all of their in-store 'specials' they're not the cheapest, often by a big margin.
However: go to their ONLINE operation and get a quote. In my case, top end tyres in store were quoted at about 140 apiece, which was not too far away from everywhere else ... online, less than 80 each from the same bleedy company! [:(!] ... and this mprice disparity was evident pretty much across ALL of the tryes they carried!
Contacted my local branch to have a whinge, was advised that if I printed out their online quote, they would match it in store ... RESULT! ... and a major saving[:D]

Worst possible scenario, you pay up front online, and they are fitted at your local branch ASAP, sometimes same day, occasionally a day later!

Still trying to figure that one out ... though not trying too hard![:D]

Dogsbody

Banksy are you driving a 4x4 or 120K plus per year, if not you shouldnt be going through the pair on the non driven wheels that fast.

My BMW managed 22K on the rear drive wheels and 35 on the fronts, the vectra did 20K on the fronts and 60k on the rear but that was running full loaded every day.
My Audi had its first fronts at 20k, rears still good at 30k
A colleague has a golf GTI 2.0 and gets through a pair of fornts every 12k.

I find it depends a lot on the load in the vehicle, make and type of tyre, suspension type and driving style. All our company motors are fitted with premium brands, the best wearing seem to be Bridgestone and the worst Pirrelli. Best all round are Michellin worst are Dunlop but thats just my experience.

My family motor does 4000 a year and will only need new tyres when the walls perish plus I only fit budget brands to it.

Last edited:

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
I was after just 2 tyres earlier in the year.

Always had a lean towards the Bridgestones, mainly cos my first brand new Vitara in 1995 did around 50,000 on its original set, and when I traded it in the salesman said "You didnt have to put new tyres on it to sell it you know"

[:0][:0]

Now THATS a good tyre[:T]

To this day, I try to get Bridgestones, and they havent let me down.

My Astra Estate had Bridies on when I got it (8 months old at the time of purchase), and I have to admit, the front ones went a bit quick for my liking, but I had done 30,000 in 2 years, and carried all my fishing gear in it most weekends, sometimes twice a week so not that bad really.

Things were tight so I bought 2 cheap "budget" ones to make do.....That was around Feb 2009, I had to replace them this Feb!![:0]

Now got Bridgestones all round, and they havent started to look like they ve worn at all yet.

You have to remember that there are different types of grades ans speed ratings of tyre, not just the sizes.

A higher speed rating will mean that they will be a bit hardier at high speeds, so motorway driving wont affect them as much as a lower rating.
I always go for a higher speed rating than the vehicles "suggested" one, mainly cos I do alot of miles for fishing, which takes me up and down the dual carriageways mainly.

Also, RE the "Online quotes".

In Feb, I was pulling my hair out trying to find some Bridgies at a reasonable price. Tried most of the local garages, and they all wanted 90- 120 a corner[:C]

Went onto the KWIKRIP(off) site for a laugh, and they quoted me 70 per corner[:0]

Called em up and said "Book me in".

It turns out, that the only way they will do them at that price is if you book them in advance. You book, they then order them, then get in touch with you when they arrive and then you go in when THEY want you too[}:)]

Even if they have the same tyre on the shelf, they have to order them in[?][?][?]

Very cack handed way of doing things, but I reckon they do it cos most people leave their tyres till the last possible moment to replace them, so are usually desperate to have them done there and then so will end up paying the original in store rip off price as they have no option.[}:)][}:)]

Anyhow, I suddenly remembered that there is a tyre place litterally over the back of my house[:eek:)], so gave em a call out of interest.

Bugger me, they were around 40 a tyre cheaper than any other chain retailer in the country!!

Guess where I went[:T]

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Depends on a lot of factors... but I normally aim to get 20K from the driven wheels and 35K from the non-driven wheels.

Michelin tyres are rumoured to last a little longer, but I cant say I've noticed myself.

Worth pointing out that the tyre is the only part of the car in contact with the road - be it accelaration, cornering, braking etc. so not really worth cutting corners (if you'll pardon the pun) since you're safety is on the line.

davebike

A higher speed rating will mean that they will be a bit hardier at high speeds, so motorway driving wont affect them as much as a lower rating.

Opps did you really mean to say that
Higher speed rating is almost always a Softer compound so wears quicker! mostly at high speed but gives more grip !

crumpercatcher

The budget tyres on my car last 30k on the front and the back ones still have something like 6mm of tread left after 30k according to the MOT.

bigdavewsf

Originally posted by The Saint

You think that's bad i'm supposed to change the tyres on the bike every 4000 miles and last one i bought was 165 [:0]and that was the cheapest i could find [:(!]

ive saw a bussas tyres shredded down to the cotton after 800 miles[:0]

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Might be worth while checking what spped rating the car manufactures recommend. I know on my Volvo (V70) , I can get cheaper tyres but the speed rating is less than Volvo recommend. The offshoot of this is that if the cheaper are fitted, it invalidates the insurance if tyres are at fault in a crash.

Find my Volvo (franshied) dealer canm= do about 40 per tyre cheaper than major tyre companies. The reason why - he passes the discount savings he enjoys to his customers.

Additionally consider the MPG of car. I found with Mitchlean Primacy that I was getting about 40miles per tank more and a better ride.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Originally posted by davebike

Opps did you really mean to say that
Higher speed rating is almost always a Softer compound so wears quicker! mostly at high speed but gives more grip !

I was just going by what i was told by a tyre fitter.[:I] Just goes to show who you can trust dont it??????

I was under the impression that because it has a higher speed rating that they were abe to handle higher speeds and not disintergrate under the heat????

Glad you put me right though mate[:T]

Anyhow, from my experience, lower speed rated tyres have almost always worn out quicker on my cars.

Give me Bridgies anytime[^]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
These are Bridgestone.
225 50 R17 98Y, if that means anything to anybody.

And yes, it is a 4 wheel drive estate, so getting 20K a set, maybe it's not too bad.
[:)]

The Saint

Paul
Site Supporter
Originally posted by bigdavewsf

Originally posted by The Saint

ive saw a bussas tyres shredded down to the cotton after 800 miles[:0]

Bloody hell wouldn't want to be shelling out for one of them that often.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Originally posted by banksy

These are Bridgestone.

And yes, it is a 4 wheel drive estate, so getting 20K a set, maybe it's not too bad.

Is it a "proper" 4x4, or a 4x4 car??

If its a "porper" 4x4, then Bridgestone Duellers are the ones I always had.
The ones I have now on my Astra Estate are Turanza's.[;)]

Philocalist

Went onto the KWIKRIP(off) site for a laugh, and they quoted me 70 per corner

Called em up and said "Book me in".

It turns out, that the only way they will do them at that price is if you book them in advance. You book, they then order them, then get in touch with you when they arrive and then you go in when THEY want you too

Even if they have the same tyre on the shelf, they have to order them in

Guess its maybe down to local attitudes? ... I had no problems whatsoever, exactly the same positive response from branches in Newcastle, Gateshead (where I had mine done, from stock) and Durham ... they were all keen to do business! [:T]

paulod

Site Supporter
My car, (the only new one I've ever bought!), had Michelin Sports on it when I got it, but they didn't even get to 20,000. I used 'Continentals' for a few years, which averaged 25,000. I now just get budget options, and to be honest, I can't tell any difference. [:T]

antihero

I drive a very torque heavy performance diesel and won't even contemplate budget tyres, it's just not worth it. Some are that bad its like driving on margarine!

It all depends on what you want....grip, wet grip, wear, fuel saving etc...the list goes on.

Currently have Toyo Proxes 4 on at the minute, and although grip is very good, the wear rate is poo...will be very luck to get 12k out of the fronts, and at 110 a tyre aint cheap. Will probably be going for Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's next...heard nothing but good things about them and only (*cough*) 90 a corner for 225/40/18's

Probably the cheapest place for tyres online is camskill, but you need to sort out fitting yourself. Whereas Blackcircles or Mytyres include a mobile fitter in the price.

antihero

Originally posted by banksy

These are Bridgestone.

it seems that must be a proper odd sized tyre...if you drop down to a slightly lower profile tyre, say a 225/45/17, the price plummets

Status
Not open for further replies.