Car Trouble - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

Armchair Carper
The other half's car (Citroen Saxo 1.1 petrol) R reg is giving her grief[:(]

It seems to cut out for a split second and looses power and then everything is ok again. Doesn't happen all the time (stalled a couple of times too while reverse parking). It's had new spark plugs, HT leads and air filter. The garage have no idea but have confirmed that it does judder and seems to cut out. Their only ideas so far are: -

Coil burning out
Loose wire
Cam sensor.

It seems to loose power and give this drop out mostly in 3rd or 4th gear. They've had it hooked up to a computer and nothing came from that.

The good lady also says it doesn't seem as "nippy" as before. This fault seemed to come on all of a sudden.

Anyone got any ideas[?] My suggestion was don't by french and I got a [B)] for being a smart ar5e!

Cheers and thanks peeps[:D]

quivertip

phil
an intermittent fault is a nightmare to find.. you're better off having the car pack up altogether, at least you can then find out what it is!
i did have a similar fault on an sri cavalier a few years ago and it turned out in the end to be a split pipe allowing air into the induction causing all the symptoms you speak of.. dead easy fix but it was a nightmare to find as the pipe was split out of view..
have a thorough look at all the pipes you never know...

hempy

Alan
As the computer gives no problem id then it sounds very much like a fuel problem to me. First of all drive with the fuel cap off, this has a vent that can cause a vacuum in the tank if blocked. Next check the gauze filter inlet to the carb, take it out and show it your left shoulder, bin it.

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Thought of fuel issues - stuck a load of slick 50 fuel treatment solution in a full tank of petrol to see if that would help.....guess not but then again it may take time I assume

Larry

Lazarus
Try changing the air filter you can what the fuels mixture like by taking one the spark plugs out ifs it a very light colour fuel mixture weak if its a sooty black fuel mixture to strong.

Columbo

A few weeks I posted a similar question asking for help. My old car was Carina 1.6 with an intermitent missfire and powerloss, then it will carry on as though nothing had happened.

The garage changed:

Spark plugs
Roter arm and dissy cap
Fuel filter
Air filter
Leads
Coil pack
Lamda censor

It drove fine for a few days after until arrrrgggghhhhhh it bloody did it again, then the intermitent intervals started to be more frequent. Iwas left wondering could it be the cylinder head or the ECU?

My point is don't do what I did and throw hard earned money on an old car to only go down the line of eliminating certain faults. It cost me a packet. Now I have thrown the car away and bought a brand new Nissan, hopefully won't have to see a mechanic only for servicing.

Hope you sort it ok.

Steve

bazw

you could have the fuel filter changed if you dont know the mileage its had through it as it could be starting to block up

have a look at the system earths

engine or gear box to body

harness by ecu to body

and any other ones you can find

at that age i am guessing it has some form of injection (single point looking like a carb or multi point with injectors to each cylinder ) and they like a good earth

just incase clean the battery connections to but make sure you have any radio codes before doing this as it may need to be reset

the list of sensors on a modern engine are endless so wont bother with them except to look for loose connectors to any of them

also enjoy and i hope your hair grows back soon as i always end up pulling mine out when doing this kind of thing

nick_gilbert

NG Floats, Elastic
Site Supporter
I had a similar problem with a fiat a few years back, hooking it up to the computer didn't show any faults.

Ended up fitting a new ECU and it cured the problem!

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Tight git, stop spending your money on tackle and either fill the fuel tank or get her a festa lol

jduck1979

John D
If she's been sticking the cr*p Petrol from the supermarket in it, try putting some good stuff like Shell V-Power in it, since I remember there been mention of Supermarket petrol doing that in Honest John's motoring column.

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Without throwing good money at it in an attempt to eliminate all sorts of possibilities, how's about getting the garage to do a "compression test".
My thinking is that IF a valve or two have been pitted they could cause an intermittent misfire, and a compression test could show that up.

It would be one of my "baseline tests", 'cos without good compression on all cylinders you've got no power anyway LOL

If compression is good that should put you at ease.

gloves007uk

BROWNING
i remember my old man saying super market petrol being s**t he had no end of problems with his car once all the super market fuel was flushed out of the tank and proper petrol put in he had no problem again
however i had a mate that had this problem a while back and he got it sorted so will give a bell and find out what he did remember going down the m69 just going from 3rd to 4th gear and the car cuting out and then starting again on a regular occasion
so i will ask him

Enigma

Armchair Carper
They don't seem to think it's a misfire but more of a total power outage - total loss of spark for a split second. Thanks for the ideas so far guys.... I know bugger all about cars so is a total loss of spark the same as a misfire?

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
Funnily enough my car wouldn't start the other evening and when the mechanic had poked around under the bonnet for a few moments he went and got a long screwdriver and put it down through the engine compartment and gave two or three sharp taps on something, got in the car and it went first time - turns out it was the " crank angle sensor " (or crankshaft sensor). Apparently if this is not just right there is no electrical signal so can cause all sorts of problems so it may be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.