Car thread

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's surprising how the Audi electronics handle and react to the power and handling. Take them away and the car would most likely be undrivable

Dave gsx1400

At 64yrs young, i`ve owned or driven many different vehicles. Yep, i`m a `Petrol Head` to a degree, but bikes are my first love and will always remain so! I`m only interested in originality, so bog-standard is the way I roll. Without risking boring everyone with a history of the cars i`ve owned, and of the pro`s and con`s of each, I`ll personally rate the more up-to-date cars which i`ve owned or driven regularly as follows. Forgive me in only referring to the following makes: Range Rover - beautiful beasts, if you can afford the garage bills. Audi - a tad boring design, poor audio systems and iffy electrics. Mercedes - lovely auto`s and extremely comfortable. BMW - the very best of the best. Amazingly built, rock solid feel unmached by anything else on the road, powerful engines, reliable. Nothing else comes close. I`m now on my fourth and looking forward to my fifth. The 320D is a firm favourite, though the most ballistic i`ve driven is the 330D Auto. For the more exotic, my mate owns a fairly recent Ferrari `812 Superfast`, it IS fast (by car standards), but you can`t help being bothered by reliability issues and speedbumps!
So, i`ll stick to my Superbikes, my Ford Transit Connect for fishing, and my BMW......

Shadrack

Well today has been a disaster. Took the car for a remap, got a call from a confused tech saying it’s already been mapped but is still only running at 140hp when it should be about 170hp as standard, the map should take it to around 200hp. A bit more digging revealed the car has had a whole lot of fault codes deleted so they can’t show, and then mapped for power, a return to standard takes it down to 120hp.

So someone has hidden a major issue somewhere.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well today has been a disaster. Took the car for a remap, got a call from a confused tech saying it’s already been mapped but is still only running at 140hp when it should be about 170hp as standard, the map should take it to around 200hp. A bit more digging revealed the car has had a whole lot of fault codes deleted so they can’t show, and then mapped for power, a return to standard takes it down to 120hp.

So someone has hidden a major issue somewhere.
No wonder the Astra felt quicker

Shadrack

Sounds like a nightmare and potentially expensive, think I would be tempted to move it on and go again.
That’s the plan, it could be any number of things and it’s not a car I’m willing to pour a lot of money into.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I cannot get my head around this desire to tear about, speed freaks are all mad.

A gentle pedal along a country lane on a push bike, bliss.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Not a massive car freak but I really liked a couple of VW Corrados that I had in the 90s, the latter being the Storm version of which only 500 were produced. After that I had a Touareg for 15 years. I fancied a new one but got out voted by my wife and 2 daughters who wanted something different, as if a 15 year old car would be the same as a new one!.

Shadrack

With the 5 series turning out to be a problem car, and the fact we’re getting a dog tonight making it unpractical anyway, I needed a new car. So here’s what I’ve bought, a 3 series estate. Drives nicely and has a full main dealership service history. If this one ends up being an issue then I think I’ll avoid BMW’s in future, which would be disappointing as I’ve always admired them.

910345C1-7D3C-4396-AC9A-76509A5DA8B3.jpeg

nejohn

Site Supporter
With the 5 series turning out to be a problem car, and the fact we’re getting a dog tonight making it unpractical anyway, I needed a new car. So here’s what I’ve bought, a 3 series estate. Drives nicely and has a full main dealership service history. If this one ends up being an issue then I think I’ll avoid BMW’s in future, which would be disappointing as I’ve always admired them.

910345C1-7D3C-4396-AC9A-76509A5DA8B3.jpeg
The 3 series is a great car and the E91/92 is very underrated I have one of the very last E92 estates, it is on a 13 plate with full dealer history I have had it nearly 3 years now, it's done 65k miles and I have had absolutely no issues with it only things I have done to it was change the run flat tyres and replace an indicator bulb. It is a great every day car comfortable on a long run, not to big but big enough to get all my kit in. Mine is a 320i and it gets about 33 mpg round the doors and if you are careful around 42 on a motorway run. Only thing that is a little annoying is the Bluetooth module can drop out but it is just usually a case of a loose connection on the module under the boot floor , 5 minute job to push it back in. This is my 5th BMW and had no real issues with any of them. I do like the estates though as they have a little more weight over the back wheels so it keeps the back end in check especially if you have one of the more powerful ones

Shadrack

The 3 series is a great car and the E91/92 is very underrated I have one of the very last E92 estates, it is on a 13 plate with full dealer history I have had it nearly 3 years now, it's done 65k miles and I have had absolutely no issues with it only things I have done to it was change the run flat tyres and replace an indicator bulb. It is a great every day car comfortable on a long run, not to big but big enough to get all my kit in. Mine is a 320i and it gets about 33 mpg round the doors and if you are careful around 42 on a motorway run. Only thing that is a little annoying is the Bluetooth module can drop out but it is just usually a case of a loose connection on the module under the boot floor , 5 minute job to push it back in. This is my 5th BMW and had no real issues with any of them. I do like the estates though as they have a little more weight over the back wheels so it keeps the back end in check especially if you have one of the more powerful ones
This one is a 320d so I’m hoping for good mpg, especially on a motorway run.
I’ve only driven it to work this morning but it seems a nice comfortable drive, and it’s well equipped. It does look good as well, the estate look suits it.
I’m disappointed about the 5 series, but hoping this one turns out to be a good find.

nejohn

Site Supporter
This one is a 320d so I’m hoping for good mpg, especially on a motorway run.
I’ve only driven it to work this morning but it seems a nice comfortable drive, and it’s well equipped. It does look good as well, the estate look suits it.
I’m disappointed about the 5 series, but hoping this one turns out to be a good find.
Mine is the Exclusive Edition, basically the last of that model so they threw all of the extras at it so they could sell them before the new models hit the showroom, from the option list the only things mine doesn't have is a sunroof and electric seats. But even the basic spec ones are a great drive. The only thing you have to get used to is knobs that won't let you out in traffic and idiots trying to prove a point on motorways by pulling out in front of you if you are overtaking them

Shadrack

Stick a personal plate on that and the neighbours will think you've had a touch on the lottery :)

Always a bonus
Two BMW’s sat on the drive at the minute plus the girlfriends car, it does give the impression we’re doing pretty well!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A client of mine has a small collection of Mercedes, including one vintage soft top model which escapes me. He moves their cars further down the street when he is expecting certain visitors as he believes that when they see the cars they automatically bump up their prices :)
He may have a point

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I've got a 1978 MGB GT in the garage that we show. All MOT certificates from new, including the 2 failure slips, original orange deck chair stripped upholstery, etc. Full mechanical rebuild some 5 yrs ago. The parts for the brakes cost me £500, as everything except the master cyl were replaced, there was no wear on this when checked for being circular, so kitted and refitted. I even fitted polished stainless steel back plates to the front brakes, a bit of a waste really I suppose as you can't see them.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Picked up the new car today, it seems to have more buttons, than some helicopters I've flown in. Each one also seems to have several functions. I do like the head up display.

IMG_20220925_171928.jpg

IMG_20220925_171946.jpg

Last edited: