Car tax VEL

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I'm afraid I would fight that. By setting up a DD the DVLA have accepted responsibility for collecting the money owed. As long as I have done nothing to prevent the collection of the tax then I would dispute the responsibility is mine.

I seem to recall that on one occasion they collected the tax after the start of the month it was due. An enquiry resulted in me being told that was OK.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
None of that makes sense, you can't lose a week's tax, it's calculated in months.
Of course it makes sense - it’s calculated in months, but you lose what is outstanding, sell a van on 15th of the month and you lose the rest of that month, as you can only claim back full months. The person buying the van has to back tax to the beginning of the month, so the government get double tax for that month x that by all the vehicle sales and it adds up.

So, I sold it to my mate, but kept it in my name until the last day of the month, he didn’t have to back tax it as it was still showing as owned and taxed by me.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Of course it makes sense - it’s calculated in months, but you lose what is outstanding, sell a van on 15th of the month and you lose the rest of that month, as you can only claim back full months. The person buying the van has to back tax to the beginning of the month, so the government get double tax for that month x that by all the vehicle sales and it adds up.

So, I sold it to my mate, but kept it in my name until the last day of the month, he didn’t have to back tax it as it was still showing as owned and taxed by me.
So if he registered it on the 1st of the month wouldn't you then lose that moths tax back?
I'm not being argumentative, I just don't get how that works?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
So if he registered it on the 1st of the month wouldn't you then lose that moths tax back?
I'm not being argumentative, I just don't get how that works?
He registered it on the last day of the month, kept it off road overnight and taxed it from the next day.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
He registered it on the last day of the month, kept it off road overnight and taxed it from the next day.
Ah, ok, I've read about people sorning the car at the end of the month to do the same thing, that's all. Will be buying a car soon from a friend so looking into it.