Car tax VEL

John Step

Site Supporter
Car tax expires in 3 days and no reminder received yet. I wonder if they have stopped sending reminders.
If thats the case it would be easy to forget and get caught out.
Anyone received a reminder lately.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Yes, normally a month or so before, I have stuff like this set in my calendar on my phone so I never miss anything.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I always get a snail mail reminder letter. I've just paid mine. £330 now I think. - Ouch!

John Step

Site Supporter
Thanks to all. Must have been lost in the post. I will go online and check and renew.

rudd

Site Supporter
Yes - received mine, better check my admin department has paid it.

She has just shouted all sorted, have I booked her car for service/MOT like she asked 😯
Just looking for phone 😬

Chervil

Site Supporter
I had my letter, with the V11 in it, about 3 weeks before it was due.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Car tax expires in 3 days and no reminder received yet. I wonder if they have stopped sending reminders.
If thats the case it would be easy to forget and get caught out.
Anyone received a reminder lately.
I received mine early this month to renew by end of the month

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Another bloody tax that does sod all to rectify the problem it's designed for and now it's not even transferrable when you sell the car. What happens when you sell a car when it still has road fund licence on it now? Do you get a refund?

Chervil

Site Supporter
Another bloody tax that does sod all to rectify the problem it's designed for and now it's not even transferrable when you sell the car. What happens when you sell a car when it still has road fund licence on it now? Do you get a refund?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
It’s a con. I sold my mate a van, a few days before the end of the month, I would have lost the weeks tax and he would have had to back tax it for the month, we just didn’t register it as sold to him until the week was up, I got the tax refund and he didn’t have to back tax. No good if you are selling to a stranger though.

Last edited:

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
It’s a con. I sold my mate a van, a few days before the end of the month, I would have lost the weeks tax and ge would have had to back tax it for the month, we just didn’t register it as sold to him until the week was up, I got the tax refund and he didn’t have to back tax. No good if you are selling to a stranger though.
None of that makes sense, you can't lose a week's tax, it's calculated in months.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
My car is zero £ to tax but I’ve still got and go through the process. Crazy

stikflote

Site Supporter
if you sell a car with tax on it you get refund for every month left on it new owner has to tax it straight away ,
tax is not transfered to new owner

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The tax on our cars is renewed by direct debit. Not my fault if the Government don't take the money.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The tax on our cars is renewed by direct debit. Not my fault if the Government don't take the money.
Oh no mate, they get around that as i found out to my cost (£80 fine).

The onus to ensure the vehicle is road legal (taxed, mot'd and insured) is on the driver!