Car boot sales.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Do any of you go round car boot sales? I had a wander round one this morning, just for a look (and out of curiosity) and came across this...

100_1796.JPG

Complete with box and instructions. Now, I haven't seen one before but was told they are still available, and on getting back home I found them for sale on eBay for £9.99. I paid a full £1 out of my hard earned pensioners pittance. Has anyone else got one, or seen one?

Further round a few stalls, and dropped on these...

100_1792.JPG

£20 the bloke said..sod off I thought to myself. I pointed out that there was no batteries so can't be tested despite him saying they are fully working. After a bit of ...let's say..warm discussion, yet more money left my poor earnings with £12.50 paid. I tested them when I got home and yes, all fully working including the receiver. I already have a set of these made by Hirisi, but there's no makers name on these (they work very well though).

I also picked up some Semo Lunchpunch's, in 6mm, 8mm and 10mm sizes. The type that go through a full block of Luncheon meat, all 3 for another £1.

Back next week for another look around (and no doubt more haggling). :giggle:

Neskin

I love a car boot mate, usually just go to people watch but am always on the lookout for fishing gear as theres always some there. I havent found anything amazing yet though.

Seems you had a couple of decent finds!

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Just found out that the hair rig gadget has a bolt. You can fasten it to a bank stick and tie hair rigs whenever you need to right on the bank side.

Zerkalo

My parents are retired now and make a living buying stuff from car boots and selling it on ebay, almost as a business tax and everything. Dad's ex sparky so buys all kinds of tools to sell. He's always bringing home fishing tackle from there, that's where most of my stuff I've been using this year since getting back into it has came from, nothing amazing so far but he also brings home bags of pellets £5 for 6 kilo bags.

AdeR

I have had some good buys from them in the past , I mostly sold stuff on .
I git two mint swedish made Abu 7000 multiplyers £10 each , one sold on ebay for £90 the other for £80 odd .
Got a Mal Storey feeder rod , paid a fiver sold for £55 , plenty of bargains if you know what your looking for.
Also had a couple of bargains from a local tackle shops S/H section this week , a 13m Maver Distinction pole , no cracks or repairs and three top kits £95 a few years old but still a nice pole I also brought a cracking browning carbon vandium 5m whip in its original canvas sleeve £10 !

Simon R

Site Supporter
Had a stall on a local boot sale last week, sold a few bits and bobs (line, feeders, floats etc) plus my old margin pole but what I really wanted to shift (Preston Onbox, trolley, PuPPs and sidetray) came home with me again. Most of the local boot sales are rubbish for fishing tackle - either cheap tat or stupid prices - £30 at one a few years ago for a Shakespeare Alpha - 'cos it was vintage - offered the guy a tenner and walked away.

Sale at Stokesley on Bank Holiday Monday which is usually decent for tackle - one guy who sells quite often has an enviable collection of 70s and 80s carbon rods - got a Daiwa Amorphous from him last time he was here.
Strange thing is a lot of things that I know people on this forum would buy (old Daiwa rods or Tricast gear for example) he doesn't get much for 'cos they ain't got carp on the label :p

There's a big Sunday boot-sale on at Strawberry Fields between Ingoldmells and Chapel St Leonards that we always visit when in the area, there's one trader that fetches so much stuff he uses a removals van for it all - and it's mainly sold at tackle shop prices - but there was also a good selection of what I'd call enthusiastic amateurs from one of whom I got a MkI Shakespeare President for the princely sum of a tenner. He either didn't know what it was or didn't think it was worth much - there's an identical rod (with the original bag which I guess bumps the value up a bit) up for sale on here for £89.

Simon

Last edited:

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Rarely find anything decent. Picked up a Mitchell Match for £20 and a carp rig case for £2 complete with foam boards / pins and a few hooks - Both at Cromer a couple of years ago.
Notts isn't great usually real tat or wanting shop prices for old gear.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Rarely find anything decent. Picked up a Mitchell Match for £20 and a carp rig case for £2 complete with foam boards / pins and a few hooks - Both at Cromer a couple of years ago.
Notts isn't great usually real tat or wanting shop prices for old gear.

I had a nice find at a car boot in Newark. Diawa Vertice match rod in new/unused condition..a crisp tenner exchanged.

nejohn

Site Supporter
When I lived in the North East a mate of mine went to the local car boot sale at sedgefield race course and found a stall selling half of the kit that was nicked from his garage a few weeks before, he rang the police but by the time they responded everyone had packed up and gone home. So think about what you are buying at a boot sales as it is often an outlet for stolen tackle, if its unusually cheap or the seller knows nowt about it there is probably a good chance its nicked and the more of this stuff they can sell the more tackle they will nick. So by getting these 'bargains' you could be encouraging the theiving scrotes to break into your shed and nick you kit next time

Brythebagger

Site Supporter
When I lived in the North East a mate of mine went to the local car boot sale at sedgefield race course and found a stall selling half of the kit that was nicked from his garage a few weeks before, he rang the police but by the time they responded everyone had packed up and gone home. So think about what you are buying at a boot sales as it is often an outlet for stolen tackle, if its unusually cheap or the seller knows nowt about it there is probably a good chance its nicked and the more of this stuff they can sell the more tackle they will nick. So by getting these 'bargains' you could be encouraging the theiving scrotes to break into your shed and nick you kit next time

If it was my tackle he was trying to flog I’d of been going home with it.......no cash exchanged

marcusp

I have had some good buys from them in the past , I mostly sold stuff on .
I git two mint swedish made Abu 7000 multiplyers £10 each , one sold on ebay for £90 the other for £80 odd .
Got a Mal Storey feeder rod , paid a fiver sold for £55 , plenty of bargains if you know what your looking for.
Also had a couple of bargains from a local tackle shops S/H section this week , a 13m Maver Distinction pole , no cracks or repairs and three top kits £95 a few years old but still a nice pole I also brought a cracking browning carbon vandium 5m whip in its original canvas sleeve £10 !

Most stolen gear is sold at car boots. The give away is the knock of prices they are sold for

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Most stolen gear is sold at car boots. The give away is the knock of prices they are sold for

Maybe so, but if there's someone selling fishing gear and says he/she's having a clear-out, you can't really call them a liar can you? And if the item isn't marked with a postcode etc. there's no way of returning it to the rightful owner.

marcusp

Maybe so, but if there's someone selling fishing gear and says he/she's having a clear-out, you can't really call them a liar can you? And if the item isn't marked with a postcode etc. there's no way of returning it to the rightful owner.
No but when you paying a price that is clearly way to cheap then you have to ask yourself under the the law of handling stolen goods Knowing or believing those goods to be stolen.

If its to good to be true and you are over the moon with how cheap it is then its not right

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
No but when you paying a price that is clearly way to cheap then you have to ask yourself under the the law of handling stolen goods Knowing or believing those goods to be stolen.

If its to good to be true and you are over the moon with how cheap it is then its not right

So you're telling me you decline potentially legitimate sales based on the fact that it could be stolen based on it's price? I'm sorry but I don't believe in the 'It's priced too low, so it must be stolen' meta, especially at boot sales. I find most people are genuinely just trying to have clear outs, Most often that not I find it's usually woman selling their other halves gear and have no idea on it's worth. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's stolen, High priced used gear could also be stolen, And could be sold anonymously via eBay and other sites which almost guarantee the thieves safety whereas a boot sale does not, I'd bet most stolen stuff is sold on eBay and not face to face on boot sales.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
If I thought it was stolen would I buy it?..No, If I thought it was 'in good faith' would I buy it?...Definitely if I want it. The first thing I do is look for any markings like post codes etc. I've seen quite a few 'goodies' marked this way and left them alone.