Caperlan (Decathlon) ready tied hooks

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Are most ready tied hooks these days to a good enough standard to stop tying your own ? In Decathlon recently, bought some maggots and some 20 & 22 hooks. Hooks are Caperlan branded, but maybe VMC? .Anyway, struggled tying them by hand to some .083 line, so wondered whether the Caperlan ready tied would be any good.Selling them at the same price,or less, than a bog standard pack of hooks. Does anyone have any feedback on them ?

rudd

Site Supporter
Dont know the brand but will say, last year in crackconvertors I discovered a multitude of ready tied greys rigs.
Banded, hairs,spikes, long 14 inch, short 4 inch in about twenty five packets.
Greys make some nice kit so I offered the assistant a tenner for the lot - which they accepted.

In a nutshell - bloody awfull ? tied badly, broke easily and the hooks not very sharp.

Never had any bad ones from Mustad, Kamazan or Drennan.

crusty

I got a couple of packets the last time I went in for groundbait.
I bought bigger sizes, 14's 16's I think, and I've used them mostly on the feeder, I think they're 20cm long and micro barbed.

With the fish I've caught lately, big skimmers, roach and chub I've not had a problem, they seem quite robust and stay sharp.

Ian

TrickyD

Site Supporter
If you are struggling to tie small hooks to light lines I would be happy to tie some up, I wouldn't charge for labour only hooks.
That is very kind of you. It was the first time in years I had tried to tie anything so small, 16's & 18's are a cinch, but the biggest problem I think was the line being so fine. I'm off fishing any minute and will be using the hooks I tied and see how I go, but I will probably take you up on your offer.
I got a couple of packets the last time I went in for groundbait.
I bought bigger sizes, 14's 16's I think, and I've used them mostly on the feeder, I think they're 20cm long and micro barbed.

With the fish I've caught lately, big skimmers, roach and chub I've not had a problem, they seem quite robust and stay sharp.

Ian
I bought some to try, they are doing them at less than a quid for 10 ready tied (certain ones).