Caperlan CSB Adjust Seat Box Unboxing

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I needed a cheap seat box and after struggling to find a decent second hand one in my area, I looked at the budget new market, namely Decathlon and Go Outdoors. Both had budget seat boxes in their range. I wanted a box with a footplate. Decathlon had a Caperlan CSB Adjust seat box for £159.99. Go Outdoors had the Westlake Mark 2 box for £259.99, exactly £100 more. The Westlake had a bit more storage space with a deeper base section and a deeper draw. The Caperlan had just a shallow tray and a shallow draw. I have plenty of storage in my carryall bags, so the Caperlan suited me. So that's the one I decided on.

Delivery was very quick. Ordered on Thursday, it arrived on Saturday. Delivery cost £5.99. There was an option to pay more for Saturday or Sunday delivery. I chose standard delivery which should have been Monday, but it arrived with DPD on a Saturday. Glad I didn't pay extra for Weekend Delivery, when I got it anyway.

It arrived in a large sturdy cardboard box, with the legs, footplate, fixings and strap separate. There was also a pair of u shaped pole holder brackets and a keepnet attachment for the footplate.

I also purchased double curved ripple bar and a curved arm, one to use as a rod rest/pole sock holder, and the other to attach my trusty Drennan Baitwaiter to.

No assembly instructions were provided, but it was all pretty obvious how it went together.

So onto the box. It's definitely a budget box, but seems very well made and solid. It's an H-frame box. One slightly unusual thing about the H-frame, is that the length of the back of the frame is wider than the front. This aids stability. However it may cause an issue if fitting a large side tray that needs to be fixed on both box legs, as the tray will not be straight alongside the box, but at a slight angle. It would still work though.

The legs are D25, so standard round legs. Only the front legs on the footplate are telescopic. This won't be a problem on platforms or level banks. It would be harder to level the box on an uneven bank. This is one area where you see the difference between a more expensive big name product, where the H-frame is usually fixed at the optimum height and then left, with telescopic legs providing the levelling. Each leg but one, has a threaded fitting on top with a removable cap. One of these caps has a spirit level on it. You can choose which leg you screw it onto. The only leg that doesn't have a threaded insert on it, has a bush that allows a light umbrella to slide in. The cap has an umbrella symbol on it.

The box itself is very well made of metal, finished in black. The shallow tray and drawer are made of metal with plastic opening clips on both the front and rear of the unit, so it can be opened from the front or the back. Both the tray and drawer are quite shallow. Neither have any dividers in them. The cushion feels good. It's quite firm, but feels comfortable. It's not the same comfort you will get from a high end box, but seems good enough and is well stitched. It's a relatively small seat, but was fine for me. A very large angler might prefer a bigger box, but this box does have a 110kg / 242lb weight limit. How comfortable it is in use ,well only time will tell.

The footplate is just a basic type. It slides under the box. It has a couple of screw fixings knobs to release and tighten it. None of the quick release clips or pins that you find on more expensive boxes, but it's perfectly functional, and expected on a budget box.

When set up, the box feels sturdy and safe. No slipping with my 95kg weight sat on it. The box is very light at 9kg including the footplate. Remove that, and it would make a very light canal box.

Looks wise, it's not one for the tackle tarts. It's all black with no real colour or flashy logos. The Caperlan name is embossed on the seat cushion top, and on a discrete little plate on the back of the frame.

So in summary it seems like a well made, and very functional little box. Nothing flash or clever about. Just a small lightweight box at a very good price. One that will do me for a while I hope.

I'll update this thread once I've used it and seen how it performs on the bank.

Attachments

• 20220403_113910.jpg
    20220403_113910.jpg
    840.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220403_115814.jpg
    20220403_115814.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220403_115801.jpg
    20220403_115801.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Deejay8 I would be tempted to put the telescopic legs on the center with the footplate otherwise you will be adjusting two set of handwheels for hight. That's how my preston inseption sl30 come before I upgraded all the legs to telescopic.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
@Deejay8 I would be tempted to put the telescopic legs on the center with the footplate otherwise you will be adjusting two set of handwheels for hight. That's how my preston inseption sl30 come before I upgraded all the legs to telescopic.
That makes sense. I doubt that I will have to do much adjusting on the bank, as most of my fishing will be on flat swims and platforms.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
You be surprised mate, but if you have to level her up best make the job as easy as possible 😉.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Looks like a decent set up @Deejay8 ,i hope it serves you well. Good detailed review too, perhaps you could do a follow up after you've had a chance to put it through its paces.

Tristar

Great review Deejay (y). I was looking at one while ago and was wondering if anyone has purchased one.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
An update on the Caperlan box. I have now purchased a cassette unit that has a side draw and two front draws. It also has a shallow storage tray that sits under the seat.The unit cost £50. It gives me more storage in the box. I don't carry to much in the box, but I do like to have pole rigs, hooklengths, tools and shot in the box. It makes it heavier, but still quite light.
The front draws have dividers, but not the side draws or the storage trays. So I made dividers using plastic angle strip cut to length and stuck in with double sided tape.

Attachments

• 20220505_155815.jpg
    20220505_155815.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220505_155630.jpg
    20220505_155630.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220505_155553.jpg
    20220505_155553.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220505_155509.jpg
    20220505_155509.jpg