Cant handle the pressure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaak

alter Freund
Because the pressure of the 11 miles of air to the edge of the atmosphere varies at sea level. Pressure increases with depth so imagine a weight pressing down on the water, roughly 16 lbs on every square inch.
If this gets greater the pressure in the water increases also proportionately to the air pressure.

What effect it has on the fish I don't really know. High pressure might make them feed more, cant be sure which way round it works but it will not be the only factor on fish feeding.

ott

hmm i was under the impression that atmospheric pressure was around 14.5psiu at sea level,but anyway thats a triviality.however i believe changes in barometric pressure have an affect on the way fish feed,as you can fish for days and not have a bite, then have a pressure change and the fish will come on hard.moon phases as well have an impact which varies.as an example, the fish we usually target, murray cod,will often come on the bite in a rainstorm and large specimens seem to be more often taken in violent thunderstorms due to the pressure changes..

superflysy

I have been told the best time for fishiing is a rising pressure fish dont feed as much on a low pressure and can often be found deep hardly moving from there holding position, on a high pressure the fish can high in the water but not feeding greatly. As the pressure rises fish who have been holed up are hungry and as the pressure is not steady but rising they know a lean patch will come again and so stuff themselves.

This is what I have been told by a old wise man and I have not looked at pressures enough to guage if this is true.

I take my que from birds if birds are flying and feeding I assume the fish will do the same, next time you have a poor day and your net is almost empty I bet you'll see very few birds flying around; these are a good indicater but not a guarantee

T K

Bum Draw Master
Agree with some of Supeflysy's comments - from experience whenever a deep low pressure moves in the fishing is extremely difficult......I've had a couple of notable experiences on 'good' waters where all have struggled for a bite in a match when this has happened ,despite seemingly other favorable visible conditions

Hatchye

Seem to remember another thread on here covering this topic and a pressure of 1020 and above being the pressure that kicks fish into overdrive....

back to basics

Thanks for your words of wisdom, i sat down to day to do a bit of study[:(] looked out the window and saw birds flying opened the window and they were singing[:I] diversional tactics[:p] i packed my fishing gear and off i went to a local pit[8D] what a fantastic days fishing[:0]infact the best day ever on this little pit[^] infuture will look to see what the birds are doing[;)]
Originally posted by superflysy

I have been told the best time for fishiing is a rising pressure fish dont feed as much on a low pressure and can often be found deep hardly moving from there holding position, on a high pressure the fish can high in the water but not feeding greatly. As the pressure rises fish who have been holed up are hungry and as the pressure is not steady but rising they know a lean patch will come again and so stuff themselves.

This is what I have been told by a old wise man and I have not looked at pressures enough to guage if this is true.

I take my que from birds if birds are flying and feeding I assume the fish will do the same, next time you have a poor day and your net is almost empty I bet you'll see very few birds flying around; these are a good indicater but not a guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.