Canoeing

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The pub in my village has started doing canoeing on the canal, not my thing, but my sister took her daughters out for an hour or two and they loved it. You're allowed to go two locks worth and there's some nice bits of canal with nice scenery.

A couple of years ago I went on the Severn from Bridgnorth to Arley, and while it was good to get to see different bits of the river from a different perspective, it was bloody hard work. I imagine it's even more like hard work on a canal where you haven't even got the flow to help you.

That and avoiding anglers lines... this is why I never get too annoyed with canoes on the river, you only see anglers lines at the last minute and we have to share the river. My brother in law has asked me to go with him on the Severn this year but I've declined telling him it's too much like hard work. I'd much rather be fishing. Anyone on here go canoeing?

rudd

Site Supporter
Not any more.
Used to kayak years back.
Broads, River Cam, Suffolk Stour, Rivers: Deben, Orwell, Alde, Ore, Med, Indian Ocean, North sea,Atlantic, Dart, Ex.
Its hard work and gives you sore thumbs!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never canoed but got a kayak that I used to use a lot before I got a boat but I still kayak just about anywhere I go on holiday.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"Used to kayak years back.
Broads, River Cam, Suffolk Stour, Rivers: Deben, Orwell, Alde, Ore, Med, Indian Ocean, North sea,Atlantic, Dart, Ex.
Its hard work and gives you sore thumbs!"

Playstation or X-Box?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The thing is on the Middle Severn, you get the odd 'lone ranger' that comes through at a rate of knots, obviously knowing what they're doing, but then you get the 'expiditions', the group organised trips like the one we went on where 30 come through in the space of half an hour, often with 'ghettoblasters' and capsizing in your peg. Generally manage to share the river well enough though. When one capsized just upstream of me at Hampton Loade, the angler next to me was cracking up as the first thing the canoeist said when he fell in was "no, my bud!".

Robwooly

You can hear them a mile upstream on the Severn, it's often hard to explain that you have no line 'out' as a float angler. Also have to tell them to go through my swim when wading out as they'll ground on rocks if they attempt to go behind. It's usually all in good humour as we have to share and there's often a bit of banter. Some of them do fish as well after all. Never got the rowdy ones with music blaring though, whats the point of that, do that somewhere sh1tty not the Severn.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
To be fair it's only once or twice they've had the ghettoblasters on board for me! :LOL: And I doubt it effects the fishing that much. Is part of why I want to do more float fishing this year though.

Robwooly

It's not that it affects the fishing, I've caught big roach almost underneath canoes, it's just the only noise I wan't to hear down there is birdsong and steam trains. Some anglers are just as bad If they never shut up all day, I'm not sure people know how far and for how long sound travels in the confines of a river and it's banks.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I went with my brother in law there was an angler fishing tight to an island in the middle of the river, we'd been told by the guide to go the one way around this island. We got too close to his line and he called out to us, "away from my line!". I apologised. But my brother in law, he's nonchalant and just carried on, if you've ever seen the film The Long Goodbye, he's like the Marlowe character in that, nonchalant. It's sometimes good you can hear them coming as I will usually wind in and recast around them.

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
If they paddle on through at a sensible speed on a canal, river or big lake, I don't mind. Far less of an issue than a dog swimming nearby with an owner throwing a stick for 15mins (and I love dogs).

badgerale

I bought a two seater inflatable canoe about 6 years ago, when i lived in London, me and the then girlfriend took it down to Kingston on the train, then lugged it to the Thames near Hampton Court.

It was kind of fun, though we argued a lot about how to steer it, and never quite got on the same page with that. There was always the worry about getting caught in the flow and dragged into a bridge or under a boat or something, which stopped us from actually enjoying the experience despite the lovely scenery.

After that one outing, it's stayed in the loft/cellar/storage since then despite us moving nearer more sedate rivers. Ultimately, more trouble than it's worth. Give me a fishing rod next to a river, with the misses a comfortable distance away, and i'll be much happier.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been a massive increase in inflatables of all sorts on the Thames in the last few years. They're no bother at all really when you're fishing compared to proper boats given they're much quieter with shallower draughts and more able to get out the way.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
At Stourport there's a tour boat that comes up and down every half an hour with a massive wake called River King.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbh there's so many boats of all sorts on the Thames I think the fish are just used to it as whilst they don't help they don't do massive harm either. Its absolute bliss on the sandford old channel/weir though as boats can't go anywhere up it so no more than the very occasional paddle board or kayak goes up there. Less in a session than you get in an hour on every other stretch.

Last edited:

breadflake

Site Supporter
There was a canoe club at our school in the mid-sixties and from memory, a trailer with 6 or so canoes on, used to go to Seal Sands and South Gare near the mouth of the River Tees, plus a place around 20mile upstream.
I joined Stockton AA in 2002 so I could fish the middle Tees, the first stretch I fished you parked in a village then walked down the track with the river coming into view at the bottom,
Had been told the better fishing was further upstream so it was while before I tried the early pegs and one in particular just as you come off the track where the water back eddies behind some trees on the far bank had me flummoxed for ages till it dawned on me, the peg was the spot we launched from and the back eddy was where we rested up after practicing kayak rolls, 35yr or so before.

Only seen the odd canoe up there but plenty around Stockton where the boat club is based not that it would bother me