Cannon Hill Park Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Wasn't sure about fishing this venue tonight, but in the end decided to give it a go. I fancied seeing how it was after all these years, must be well over 20 years since I last fished it, but was a bit concerned about the public there now. No reason to be as it turned out, even if it isnt what it was.

Had a walk round when I got there and there was just one elderly chap by the island with the bridge and one bloke fishing long pole at the opposite end by the main entrance.

The elderly chap was sitting pretty motionless but looked like he had a pretty good net of fish from a distance when he emptied it.

The bloke on the long pole had a couple of decent roach within the couple of minutes it took me to order my ice cream from the kiosk opposite.

The bank opposite the main walkway, where they normally hold all the events was partially closed to walkers due to the dismantling of some marquees so I settled for that side, away from everyone.

Fishing opposite the island at the bridge end I started on pinkie and maggot, prob two and a half feet deep. Nothing after a few minutes so switched to bread punch and bounced off three or four quite small roach, before managing to land a few of the same diminutive size.

Switched to hemp and immediatly into a bigger stamp of fish altogether and thats how it stayed. Pretty much fish after fish for three hours or so up to 14 oz, average 6-8 ozs.

All on my trusty 3 and a hlf metre whip, as close as that.

It surprised me to be honest, but thought id give it a try after the good fishing ive had in the other parks.

Hope it's some help to anyone local. Oh and by 5 o'clock the parky had locked up so it was free fishing lol !

Mark

birdsnest

Nice one mate!
Im surprised our paths have never crossed, as im often on the park pools. Being local to the area you may have knowledge of a pool a non angler once told me about. He knew it as 'sandies' and it sounded like a small sandpit or bomb crater somewhere behind the prince of wales pub at the end of yardley wood road.
PS any idea when the fish are going back in Swanshurst?
Cheers

bozzy

I remember as a kid of about 13 watching a masive fishing event at Canon Hill park in the 70's. Lots of foreigners with poles that not many had seen before. Some of them showed us their bait at the start of the match and I remember balls of groundbait riddled with bloodworm. Wish I could remember what the event was but it made the local telly news.

We have some great park lakes and Trittiford is among the best. Any info on Rowheath Park anyone?

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Birdsnest.. I used to live in Solihull Lodge and went looking for a pool that way from maps..never found it.

Theres that small carp pool in Peterbrook road, but I dont expect thats what he meant. I understand fishing isnt allowed there now anyway although I havent checked. Was day ticket till a couple of years ago.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
I remember those events Bozzy. Very well.

The french came over and it was one of the first times we had seen 'proper poles'. Our lads in the England team couldnt cope with them using a waggler. Not all down to tackle though, it was the bloodworm as well.

Ivan Marks was down there one day and showed us how to stick a ball of groundbait, close to the 'far' bank. by hand ! Far side of the pool on a tanner. Can you believe it ?
I watched him chuck consecutive balls against the far side of the pool using what I think was a cricket ball throw. Apparently it was what he and the likely dads did regularly at places like the Witham.

I was talking to a chap at Trittiford the other day about the weights now and then. I can hardly believe how things have improved. The rumour from a match last sunday was 84lb winner. Sounds a lot but wouldnt surprise me.

Way back in the park competitions of the late 70's 2-3 lbs was a decent weight at Trittiford or Cannon Hill. 4lb a good weight, and thats from international calibre anglers too.

Now they'd murder that in an hour. Even I can do it, sometimes !
There has been a sea change in those waters. Same with local canals too. Weights that would have been unimaginable years ago. I wonder if its anything to do with the mild weather we get now, especially the mild winters. I know we've had advances in tackle and techniques but that in no way accounts for the fish being caught nowadays.

When I was a lad I somehow got to the parks final at Cannon Hill. As an embarassed fifteen year old I was battered on the next peg by Clive Smith ( England Captain at the time I think ). He had bread punch which was the key, I had maggot and pinkie, I couldnt buy a bite and looked a right plonker. Wouldnt have been so bad if I was trailing him, by quite a way even, but I hardly got off the mark ! (scuse the pun). If ever you wanted the ground to open up ! It was one of those matches with running commentary on tannoy and, yep possibly TV on a good day, I cant remember. All I can remember was a sea of faces starring from the grass, holding programmes to shield their eyes. It was 'orrible !

At least in football you can run about to get rid of the stress I just had to sit there.

Later he wrote about it in his book, entitled something like, My Greatest Ever 10 matches. Ive got a copy downstairs somewhere.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
No idea about Swanshurst Birdsnest. Had a peek today and it's filling up with water but still two feet or more below the level it should be. Whether they'll actually stock it I dont know. Presumably some fish will become available from somewhere sometime, but I cant see anyone spending money on it. Whether they'll move any from anywhere I dont know. Wonder if anyone else knows.

What they have done is raise the pool bed around the edges to a distance of just over two meters out, by lining the edges with stones, in case any kids fall in.

Theres now a neat little drop off two meteres out all around the edge, drops about 6 inches to a foot which will be a nice little petrol route to remember.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Ooops patrol route lol ! Scuse the error in last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.