Cannock Extension

T K

Bum Draw Master
Harrisons S&SC based in Great Wyrley Walsall now control the complete Cannock Extension that runs 1.6 miles from the A5 down to the junction with the Wyrley & Essington Canal at Pelsall Common.

Theres a few pickies on the link below which may give MDers a flavour of the canal

http://members.madasafish.com/~d_hodgkinson/wyrley-walk6.htm

The Extension has also featured numerous times previously in the press and link below is typical of match catch expectations

http://www.total-fishing.com/FisheriesView.asp?ID=E3F60A103F9943C28BE8E1AFC556558E (please disregard contact details at bottom of write up)

For the pleasure angler as well as the silvers there are plenty of tench scattered throughout the length (reported to go to 9lb, but more typically around 3lb,) pockets of bream and 20lb plus rogue carp.

Day tickets are 1 or season permits are a steal at 5 running Jan Dec, available from Dave Meredith tel 01922 413925 or Tony Kulik 07989 700638. Inaugural season tickets run from now until end 2008.

Club match bookings are also welcome at 1 per peg, contact either Dave or Tony above

Last edited:

mark cunningham

hi mate brought back memories of more than 20 years ago when i used to fish here as a young lad,with my dad. won my first open match here with a 4lb bag of perch.started taking my 5year old son fishing this summer and may just venture down once again after reading this.he cant wait

T K

Bum Draw Master
Hi Mark - would that just happen to be TC who used to run the Broomhill matches?
Glad to bring back the happy memories - hope to see you on the bank with junior some time in the future
(ps under 16's fish free)

mark cunningham

hi again not sure about tc but spent most of the summer down there catching the roach,perch,tench and a few carp after leaving school.i loved every moment till i was told i needed to get a job.what a bummer that was.

T K

Bum Draw Master
That's life Mark [:0]

Got a knock up there with a dozen or so of us in the morn - hope all those silvers and tinca's put in an appearance for us

mark cunningham

looked at your link again and it was the water between the grove basins and the wurley lane bridge i frequented.after a break from course fishing(8years)i started taking my 5year old this summer.caught his first fish a perch of course and a huge gudgeon the biggest i've ever seen, the look on his face was all the encouragement i needed to dust of the tackle and take him again.

T K

Bum Draw Master
Hi Mark - a beautiful day once the sun came out and cleared the freezing air. The 3 successive overnight frosts (first of the year)took their toll I think......
The peg I fished was solid with micro roach across - the 100 to the pound sort - not what I was looking for but it augurs well for future seasons.
Didn't see any tincas on the day and only 3.5lb was enough to win which was quite dissapointing - all roach (but there again we aint much cop!).
Shame, as 9lb with a couple of 5lb backing weight won the match the fortnight before, with reports of quite a few lost tench. Sign it's going milder again overnights this week.....

T K

Bum Draw Master
Thanks for posting them Si
- as I said, beautiful morning last Sat

T K

Bum Draw Master
Perhaps last Sats match should have been on that section after all Drynet, instead of me diverting you all to the boatyard section [:I][:0]

drynet

formerly drynet
Maybe mate, still enjoyed it just wish I'd took my trolley thanks Mark [;)]. what the walk like on the KP.

T K

Bum Draw Master
5 yards to 1st peg......50 yards down to bottom cock corner pegs

No trolley required on the KP

YAMO

no trolley unless youre carrying as much tackle as me.....

T K

Bum Draw Master
One link on the original post is now obsolete and has been replaced by

http://www.total-fishing.com/Fisheries.aspx?Category=Coarse_Fishing_Canals&ID=wyrley_essington_canal (Once again please disregard contact details quoted in the write up)

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
so if "someone" was to say oh i don't know, just for arguments sake lets say they went "guesting" on the extension for pike............where would be the best place to go?

of course this is only a hypothetical question [;)]

me

Trogg im not sure about the extention as i tend to mainly stick to the main essington / wyrley stretch which is just of the extention and is a cashmores water. On the black bridge section pike in the 20's have been known to come out (and its not just hear say) on the free trades sect ive seen plenty of pike in there doubles come out and the same with the wrley grove bridge area (just to the right of the bridge they love chasing skimmers on your hook as you ship in [;)]) If you want a permit for a 5 a year i will bring you one down or if tk catches you he will charge you a whole quid for the day [:p]