Canals & Whips Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulo67

Hi Guys

I've already had some good advice from here so here goes again.
I have a 5M whip which I intend to use on the canal. I will fish it shortened to about 3.5-4M now I have used this once with a commercially availabke rig which had about 4-5M of line total hence I was using more than I would using rod and waggler as I have used before. Should I use shorter rigs say 1.5-2M? what was happening was i was missing bites due to the hook and the float being so far away from each other thus no sensitivity before the bait was gone.

Cheers Guys[:D]

matt

hi paulo, the best thing to do would be to use a rig tht is the same length as your whip. use a slightly heavier float than would be normal for a pole - say .75 to 1.5 grams. use a bulk of shot or an olivette to provide the main weight to cock the float. when set at depth, you should have a few metres of line between the float and the pole tip. the rig cn now be swung out underhand, leaving a tight line between the pole tip and the float. when a fish takes the bait, just strike as you would do using a rod, lift up the pole and the fish will swing into your hand. its basically the same principle as fishing with a rod but you don't have a reel. one word of caution though, if youre expecting fish of over a few ounces, it would be wise to fit the whip with elastic to absorb the energy of the fish. i hope this helps, if you have any questions then ask away (i think i've made this clear, but i've had couple of beers lol)

You cheeky monkey!

Status
Not open for further replies.