Canals these days

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Salwick & Lea used to be good for decent bream. Fished a big open one day near Garstang and some people had big bream catches. I only had roach & perch.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Cheers guys any info about the Lancaster canal will be greatly accepted, and this is a canal l have often thought about fishing, but lack of info always put it on the back burner, time to get this sorted asap.

Browner

Site Supporter
Regarding the K & A canal, l have never fished it and know nothing about it. But my eldest daughter lives and wrks in Salisbury, so l am wondering if there are any sections within an hours drive of Salisbury that would be worth trying, and of course what permit would be required, or day ticket, or possibly as a quest with a Maggotdrowner if certain clubs operate such a scheme. Also is it a deep or shallow canal in general.
I really would like to try this canal, once things have returned to normal for everybody.
It’s about an hour from Salisbury to Devizes. Their tickets are available online.
The K&A is a traditional canal between 13m and 20m wide and about 5ft deep in the track. Most baits will work using most methods. Pole, waggler and straight lead. There are some very big pike and there also used to be some very big carp. Access is generally Ok. There are a lot of boats moored but actual boat traffic in reasonable apart from the peak times during summer.
Devizes AA have a responsive Facebook account so may be worth contacting them for more info.