Canals these days

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know my canal is a tad different to the more normal canal

but my clubs facey page is full of pike, carp, roach, bream catches at the moment

the rain has coloured it up nicely, and those that are getting out are reporting fair to good catches

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thing about canals for me is that even when I fished them back in the day, they didn't fish well so to speak as we mostly fished them over winter, I see and read about better catches now from a wider variety of canals, but even when they didn't fish 'well' going by the amount of fish caught, they made for perfect match venues as it is fun to compete against other with bits.

R0B

I haven't fished it in 25 years- but it used to be excellent for roach and skimmers
I last went about 2 years ago. Brutal. I wonder if there's been any cormorant predation? it was definitely not feeling like the healthier parts of the GU

sunleychops

This is one of the most fishless stretches I've ever encountered on the GUC. Not sure why but it's awful. I very rarely blank on lures but that is one place where I didn't even "feel" like there were fish around, you know what I mean?
IIRC it was a very cold day with a frost but that wouldn't; put them off on the K&A or the rest of the GU
I feel better now 😂
Any stretches in that area you would recommend?

Browner

Site Supporter
The K&A still fishes well. Plenty of bream, skimmers, roach and perch. Had some great days fishing punch. Interesting I’ve had little success with drop shotting or small lures. I think I’m just the worlds worst lure angler.

sporty

Site Supporter
The various lockdown have halted much of the usual boat traffic this last few months so canals have been clear even before winter set in ,Northampton ran a reasonable match on that section around Christmas time

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The K&A still fishes well. Plenty of bream, skimmers, roach and perch. Had some great days fishing punch. Interesting I’ve had little success with drop shotting or small lures. I think I’m just the worlds worst lure angler.
My one experience of fishing the K&A was almost like fishing a commercial. Almost a bite a Chuck of respectable roach, good skimmers and clonking Perch. Completely the opposite to my local canal.

R0B

I feel better now 😂
Any stretches in that area you would recommend?
Anywhere but there :LOL: Depends what you are after. I think the deeper sections with shorter pounds always seem better for predators, I haven't done much myself for silvers on the GU in recent years but there are often a few matches - those areas always seem to produce bream, chub etc. Probably go north of SB for better general fishing or for Zander as it's stuffed with them on certain stretches.

R0B

More practice required (y) The K&A is epic for perch.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Regarding the K & A canal, l have never fished it and know nothing about it. But my eldest daughter lives and wrks in Salisbury, so l am wondering if there are any sections within an hours drive of Salisbury that would be worth trying, and of course what permit would be required, or day ticket, or possibly as a quest with a Maggotdrowner if certain clubs operate such a scheme. Also is it a deep or shallow canal in general.
I really would like to try this canal, once things have returned to normal for everybody.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Regarding the K & A canal, l have never fished it and know nothing about it. But my eldest daughter lives and wrks in Salisbury, so l am wondering if there are any sections within an hours drive of Salisbury that would be worth trying, and of course what permit would be required, or day ticket, or possibly as a quest with a Maggotdrowner if certain clubs operate such a scheme. Also is it a deep or shallow canal in general.
I really would like to try this canal, once things have returned to normal for everybody.
The spot I fished was about halfway between melksham and Devizes and was day ticket. Think you can get day tickets for most stretches around that area tbh.

Was about 5ft where I fished I think.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
The spot I fished was about halfway between melksham and Devizes and was day ticket. Think you can get day tickets for most stretches around that area tbh.

Was about 5ft where I fished I think.
Are the day tickets sold on the bank, or local tackle shop etc,

Will also check if the Canal and River trust waterways wanderers ticket covers any sections.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Ive just walked the Towpath From Thwaites Mill to where Skelton Grange Power station was and saw a Dozen or so Cormarants on the Canal, with the amount of fish they eat a day the stocks wont take long to Dwindle. :mad:

lliopp

Site Supporter
I believe the tickets for the Marlborough club K&A stretches are available online.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I don't fish it myself but there are lots of reports of good catches of Roach and Bream on The Lancaster Canal. I believe weights of over 30lb are needed to win some evening matches in the Summer and daytime, over 50lb could be needed.
A far cry from the 70's when 2 or 3lb could win an event with well over 100 anglers competing.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
The Lancaster canal would be an interesting option, and within easy driving distance straight up the M6 once the lockdown and pandemic is a thing of history. Again just knowing what areas to target, and controlling clubs etc for permits.

crackatoa

Site Supporter