Canal up near Leigh

Ivan heaphurst

There was an article about this cut in mprove your coarse ? ng mag. After reading and never having fished the cut this far out, today I made the decision to have a go at it. Fishing for 7-30 on a bit of very interesting water, a couple of Roach found their way into the keepnet before 8-0. It was not as deep as reported but the I was fishing the other side of the bridge from the articles author. A fair bit of plant growth in the water as well. However this was not a big a problem as the stiffening wind that go up during the morning. Still the odd fish now Perch were making their way to the net. The first boat came hrough at 8-30 followed by a second 30 mins later. This was not a problem as most boat drivers slow down when they see an angler. The morning wore on and boats became more frequent until it became no fun trying to fish far Bank. The canal was even too narrow to get a centre line going. I called it quits at midday, 10 fish in all, maggot(white) bringing the bites.
I will try again as I said earlier it is an interesting bit of canal. It will not be at weekend though, because, talking to other Anglers , yes other fishermen on a canal, the boat traffic is apparently non stop Saturday and Sunday.

crusty

I taught myself to fish on the canal in Leigh. I was 11 and fished at the back of Leigh Miners rugby club.
In 1974 10 fish would have been that seasons total (and that's bigging myself up)

Ian

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Marsland Green is the area , the article is from the Basin , since they did up the towpath it’s been very popular, Nice little place , need overcast conditions for it to fish well those pegs in the Basin and along the brambles fish best .

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
dont normally see many on , but Anglers have been practising for the C&RT canal pairs Qualifier on Sunday .

Ivan heaphurst

I taught myself to fish on the canal in Leigh. I was 11 and fished at the back of Leigh Miners rugby club.
In 1974 10 fish would have been that seasons total (and that's bigging myself up)

Ian
Good for you, it was a red letter day if we got into double figures for a days fishing, especially when n a canal.