Canal tench

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
hi all,
the canal near where i live is supposed to be fishing well for tench from 1lb - 4lb. What methods and baits can you suggest to specifically target them? Don't think sweetcorn does very well on the canal. Also the part where people are supposed to be catching them is only about 12ft wide and roughly 18 inches deep maybe 2ft. Very weedy as well. There is never anybody there for me to ask. Any help greatly appreciated.
thanks

martin.

Account Locked
hi rob 27
my fav part of my local drain is very similar to a canal i have found the best bait is worm & caster .
if the water is fishing well for tench there should be some swims allready cleared from weed ,these can normaly be found bythe ammount of weed that has been dragged out of the swim & is normally put on the side of the bank.
If there is a good head of tench i would take probably 2 pints of caster & as much worm as you can get. I would start by putting in a mixture of chopped worm &caster then fishing large piece of worm on a size 12 or 10 hook , then just keep feeding casters i would normally fish at least 5ins over depth

tight lines.
martin.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Rob,

Where is this canal. Is it up towards Glyneath or the Briton Ferry end. I am not too far away and it could be worth a drive for a look see.

If you want E-Mail me with the details.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Rob,

Thanks for the directions = perfect. The whole of the canal is run by Skewen Angling Club, permit is 25 for the first year and 20 a year after that. The canal is fishable on a day ticket from local tackle shop 5 a day.

I had a good look. A carp rose when I was looking along by the football field, not very big but a nice sight.

I will defiantely give it a go, more than likely next Sunday. Float rod, 5 pound line straight to a size 16 barbless using chopped worm and caster. With so many lillies in the water I think it will be a case of hit and hold. I am taking a rake, cos I have often found that after a swim has been cleared, wait a while, and it can produce.

I might even be daring and give my pole a bash.

About your pole, If you can make it on Sunday I could have a look at it for you, I have a couple of handy little tools which may help to clear it and possibly we could re-elasticate it as well.

I will E-Mail you with my home phone number so if you want to meet up give me a call.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

ferret

Geoff, If you are going to rake don't bother waiting, fish straight away tench are very inquisitive when the bottom is stirred up,try lob worms if you can they will sort out the bigger fish rather than chopped worm just nip the head off,also try the old favourites bread flake or cheese nice big hook though at least an 8. Good luck let us know how you get on.

MIKE
Ah! Not Fishing again.
RSSG Member you betcha!

Edited by - ferret on 15 April 2002 9:31:38 PM

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks Mike.

Now comes a confession, as I never fish for big fish, just pleased with what I catch I never buy hooks larger than 14.

I will certainly try out the raking bit. What i will do is rake two swims, fish one straight away and see which produces best.

As a point of interest, I have been told that it is not worth groundbaiting after raking. True or not. I was going to put in a bit of sensas match mixed with brown crumb, with chopped worm and casters thrown in.

I will post what happens.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

ferret

I wouldn't bother with the groundbait, when you rake enough natural food gets stirred up,Bit of worm and casters won't hurt but not to much(get them big hooks!)

MIKE
Ah! Not Fishing again.
RSSG Member you betcha!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Had a walk along the canal again tonight, took my top 3 only, with a light set up and a small tub of maggots just to see what was happening.

Surprise, surprise came upon a young chap setting up his pole, it was Rob27. Nice to have met you at least Rob.

He fished at 8 metres and caught some nice rudd and perch on single maggot. I think they preferred mine Rob cos of the Turmerric.

I am definately giving it a go on sunday, conditions permitting. Will be there about 6 in the morning and fish til about 4.

On my way back to the car I saw a couple of fish surfacing not four feet from the bank so had a quick dabble with my top three. 4 rudd all about the half pound mark and 2 perch about 4 ounces in 5 minutes. Love it.

Thanks for the advice Mike will let you know if the tench are playing on sunday evening.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

ferret

Geoff did you fish on the Sunday

MIKE
Ah! Not Fishing again.
RSSG Member you betcha!

Status
Not open for further replies.