Canal Rod

Nipps

Ideally needs to be 11’ long and capable of fishing 0.06 and 0.08 hooklengths. Will only be for squatt and wagg for roach with no bonus fish expected other than the odd skimmer. Used to love fishing this method 20 years ago using an Image Canal rod and then replaced with a Normark Microlite 2000. My search today however is proving difficult. Only options currently available appear to be the Drennan 11’ Matchpro Ultralite or the 11’ Acolyte Ultra. The Matchpro seems to be more suitable for fishing down to 0.06? Opinions on these 2 would be welcome. Others I’m aware of are the Hot Rod Silver Sphere, Tri-cast VS Canal Rod and the Drennan Crystalite although like the Image and Microlite are no longer available.

trotter2

Ideally needs to be 11’ long and capable of fishing 0.06 and 0.08 hooklengths. Will only be for squatt and wagg for roach with no bonus fish expected other than the odd skimmer. Used to love fishing this method 20 years ago using an Image Canal rod and then replaced with a Normark Microlite 2000. My search today however is proving difficult. Only options currently available appear to be the Drennan 11’ Matchpro Ultralite or the 11’ Acolyte Ultra. The Matchpro seems to be more suitable for fishing down to 0.06? Opinions on these 2 would be welcome. Others I’m aware of are the Hot Rod Silver Sphere, Tri-cast VS Canal Rod and the Drennan Crystalite although like the Image and Microlite are no longer available.
Can't comment on the others but I have a 12 foot ultra it's a little gem imo. And yes I do fish to 0.06 it's fine

david white

Site Supporter
Although they are going to be 12 ft the microlight do crop up on eBay and prices aren’t as strong as they used to be an alternative well worth looking at imho is the Cadence 11 ft #1 rod ( there’s a review on the rod by Paul ( kojak on here ) fishing at Bielby caravan park on Cadence fishing tv amongst others ) lovely light rod beautiful soft action but with a bit of grunt lower down

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
There have been a few recent threads on this (see similar threads below) - with some different preferences stated.

Why did you replace the Image rod with the Normark? did you prefer the crisper action of the microlight? IMO the cadence rods are a similar action to the Normarks.

Nipps

There have been a few recent threads on this (see similar threads below) - with some different preferences stated.

Why did you replace the Image rod with the Normark? did you prefer the crisper action of the microlight? IMO the cadence rods are a similar action to the Normarks.
Tbh I can’t remember why as it was over 20 years ago although, at the time, I just loved everything Normark and also sponsorship allowed me to get them cheap(er). Funnily, a friend bought the Image off me and still owns it so I might see if I can prise it back off of him 😁 The Cadence sounds interesting tho and not one I had considered.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I use my cadence #2 down to 0.07 hook length and a 22 fine wire ... although you have to strike gently at close range with that gear. The #1 should be ideal for that (I don’t have one ... i Have the shaky Mach 3 lite which is similar but 13ft) ... although I still use my conoflex blank (same as Image) for 0.06 and 24 b512 fishing.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Trying to get exactly want you want lightweight rod wise is not easy.

Harrison blanks do a couple of spliced blanks that could suit you.

Also getting it made up or doing it yourself means you can have it just how you like it. Never been mad on screw reel fittings in
fact my two favourite rods have `roberts reelfits`, good years ago good now.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Anothe reason for having a blank is you can get the handle you want. A proper float rod is a thing of beauty and should have
a proper full length cork handle.

nejohn

Site Supporter
If you are going new I think the Browning Hot rods or the Garbolino essential are your best bets, personally I think they are just a little more refined than the match pro. I tried an 11ft match pro ultra lite in fosters a couple of years ago and was on the verge of parting with my cash then the guy put a Garbolino G Max 11'6'' light commercial waggler rod in my hand, straight away the garbolino felt better it still had the softness of the match pro but with a little extra steel and a faster pick up. Another more modern rod that might be worth searching out is the Rive R127 11ft soft action commercial waggler rod, I have one of these and they have a very soft tip but with some power lower down the blank (I really like this rod especially for short range light line work) almost like a traditional canal rod but with a bit of grunt when needed.
Other than that it will be the usual suspects on the second hand market, Microlite, Image, Tubertini, Tri-cast Vinnie Smith, Daiwa AWM lite and Silstar Ian Heaps (though I wasn't such a big fan of the Silstar). All of these occasionally come up second hand but often go for very good money. If you would go to 13ft two potential bargains could be the Milo New Era superlite and the Silstar match team, both very nice rods and extremely close to a microlite in action at a fraction of the cost

Sam Vimes

If you are going new I think the Browning Hot rods or the Garbolino essential are your best bets,

The Sphere Hotrods Silvers Edition was touted as a limited edition and has indeed been discontinued. I've not seen a new one offered for sale in over a year. I did see a second hand one on Facebook about six months ago. I'd consider having a second as a spare if I could actually find one. Much like the 15' 6" Spliced Tip River, I doubt I'll ever be able to get an adequate substitute should a disaster happen.

Sadly, the Hotrods Sphere now needs to be lumped in with all the other difficult to find second hand rods.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Guess length depends on the size of the canal but at any length of the current range rods I’d go for an acolyte ultra although you wouldn’t go wrong with a matchpro ultralight either. The garbolino ultralight does feel very nice and if I ever needed a light 12ft rod to complement my current 13ft ultra and CR10 #1 (need a 14ft ultra first though) I’d be tempted try the garbolino just to try something different.

SteveAmo

I’ve got the Cadence 11 foot #1 waggler rod and a lovely piece of kit for fishing for roach.

I was lucky enough to win it in one of their competitions and all my mates who’ve had a chuck with it are of same opinion that it’s a smashing rod for roach.

Well worth a look

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I do find it fascinating how subjective the CR10s are I’ve heard so many people say the #2 is a nice light rod whereas I find my #1 on the heavier side of light. I guess it depends what you are used to as compared to my acolyte ultra and the likes of the matchpro ultralight the #1 feels reasonably powerful to me at least certainly not an out and out silvers rod like the ultra and ultralight.

nejohn

Site Supporter
The Sphere Hotrods Silvers Edition was touted as a limited edition and has indeed been discontinued. I've not seen a new one offered for sale in over a year. I did see a second hand one on Facebook about six months ago. I'd consider having a second as a spare if I could actually find one. Much like the 15' 6" Spliced Tip River, I doubt I'll ever be able to get an adequate substitute should a disaster happen.

Sadly, the Hotrods Sphere now needs to be lumped in with all the other difficult to find second hand rods.
That is a shame, I saw AD were selling a limited supply around April time but sold out pretty quickly also worth trying mainland Europe as you can sometimes pick things up that are difficult to get in the UK, I saw the them advertised in the link below but I have not dealt with these people before so can't vouch for reliability

nick2b

I have 2 Hotrods - I hadn't realised they had been discontinued.
I used to have 2 of the Tricast Vinny Smith Canal rods - actually very similar in action to the spheres but a but heavier/bulkier in the hand - they come up for sale occasionally, but are sought after - I sold mine (with updated handles from Tricast) for £100 each. 11' roach rods are very hard to come by - especially if the Hotrods is no longer available.
12' Normark microlight and Microlite 2000 may be another option.