canal rod info

paul14

i am looking for a decent canal rod not pole for far bank canal fishing please any info please ..paul

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Could use a 8, 9 or 10' pellet waggler / light feeder rod, enough power if you hook into any decent canal carp and soft enough tip for the tiddlers.

Matched to a nice lightweight 3000 reel.

paul14

i have a couple of 11ft shakespeare pellet waggler rods just needs to be a bit softer

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Id still go for a 12 footer just to give you more versatility. What's your budget?

nejohn

Site Supporter
Pellet waggler rod is certainly not what you need complety the wrong action for fine lines, small hooks and light wagglers. My advice would be to look second hand for something like an image canal rod, Tri-cast Vinny Smith, silstar Ian heaps canal rod, or one of the Daiwa amorphous 12ft lights or Normark 12ft microlight. Alternatively Sam Vines recommended a browning sphere hotrods to me (not had a chance to look yet) and Sam knows his float rods. You could also possibly look at an acolyte 11ft ultra, again not tried one myself as I am not a big fan of the acolytes action, which ever way you go you need a very soft tip with a little backbone down the blank to help accurate casting, the last thing you want is a through actioned pellet waggler rod

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I'm no canal angler, but I do like using 11'(ish) light float rods for light line silver fishing on stillwaters. A couple of years back, there were very few options if you wanted a new rod. It largely came down to a Drennan Ultralight, which I bought. Since then, the 11' Acolyte Ultra and the Browning Sphere Hotrods Silvers Edition have come along. The Browning is closest to the classic canal rods of old. The Acolyte has a faster action that I find more useful when trotting smaller rivers and becks. I sold the Ultralight.

Those are the three current mainstream manufacturer's rods I'd suggest you shortlist and have a waggle of. If you are happy to go down the second hand route, your options might be a little wider. However, some of the best second hand options can be pretty expensive and/or difficult to find.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Id suggest the acolyte ultra or ultralight match pro. I've only used the 13ft versions of them myself but I think 12ft would be idea for canals, 11ft is too short to be particularly versatile as not all canals are small.

Somersetlad

All depends what you're likely to come up against. On my local canal a 6lb tench is always a possible, less so Jan and Feb but still a chance, so you need something with a bit of grunt, if it's just small roach, rudd and skimmers I'd look for a Drennan Crystalite - rare and expensive, or maybe a Matchpro Ultralite - seems to be a few of those about second hand, as people trade up to Acolytes.

chappo

Like Sam I've got a redundant Crystalite - 2 piece plus a separate butt and I wouldn't have thought them to be worth a great deal at all these days

david white

Site Supporter
Have a look at a Cadence 11' Match #1......lovely rod

As above I use one coupled with an abu 501 ( but they do balance superbly with a Cadence cs5 3000 reel ) absolutely superb action for light line fishing and with care it has enough low down grunt to deal with the odd bonus fish however for the very odd trip I have back down south th the GUC at Harefield it’s has to be my Microlite 2000 12 ft ( 501 again of course ! ) even just for nostalgic reasons

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Milo used to make an 11foot canal waggler... had one... lovely rod

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
if (and I haven't held one) the production Cadence #1 is anything like the shakespeare mach 3 lite, then it would be great for most people - but not as forgiving as a true canal rod like the old Image rods.

However - I note that they are doing a #0 in the 15ft now, so maybe softer rods to follow at the shorter length?

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
I see from the Browning 2020 Catalogue the Sphere Hotrod Silver is not in any more. As an Acolyte user on rivers I do find the Matchpro Ultralite equivalents tippier and more forgiving and use an 11ft as my winter Silvers go to for still waters. I have had success with a Browning King Carp F1 version 10ft on very enclosed venues. Very soft very forgiving. Having waggled a Cadence 11ft 1 at an open day I was very impressed and found it more leaning towards a soft F1 through action and not as "old skool" tippy as an Ultralite.

david white

Site Supporter
I see from the Browning 2020 Catalogue the Sphere Hotrod Silver is not in any more. As an Acolyte user on rivers I do find the Matchpro Ultralite equivalents tippier and more forgiving and use an 11ft as my winter Silvers go to for still waters. I have had success with a Browning King Carp F1 version 10ft on very enclosed venues. Very soft very forgiving. Having waggled a Cadence 11ft 1 at an open day I was very impressed and found it more leaning towards a soft F1 through action and not as "old skool" tippy as an Ultralite.

Hi, Martyn
When, and we really ought too soon, we meet up ( how about Amotherby old lake, if silvers fishing suits ) I’ll fetch my 11ft #1 along and you are welcome to have more than a waggle, but in use it’s more Microlight than Ultralight but it’s still very quick on the strike, to be honest I haven’t used it on a river stickfloat fishing and can’t ever see me doing so ( horses for courses and all that blah blah )

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
David, is that Brickyards nr Amotherby, if it is I have never fished there, but passed by a few times to the Rye at Newsham. Its a date.

david white

Site Supporter
That’s the very place, now under new ownership too ( well about a year now ) so any negativity you’ve heard over the last 17 years or so can be put to one side
I’ll send you a pm after the weekend ( fishing tomorrow and wife has a few plans for this weekend and weather doesn’t look to great )