Canal piking

Captain Pugwash

Ya wont catch owt sat on the settee. P.A.C Member
I've struggle a bit this season with the Pike, dont know if anyone else as been consistantly catching but I've had a few hear and there and a 6 session blank.
Things needed to change and today it did.
Three fish on half lamprey did nothing special just needed it to happen.
Here we go.
Ist fish 17-7lb IMG_20200115_092007.jpg
Second 19-14lb

IMG_20200115_115348.jpg
Third fish 18-6lb
Cant believe it I'm ecstatic.
Just the confidence booster I was looking for.
Cheers IMG_20200115_153142.jpg

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I could do with that - I'm on a 3 session blank - I think I'm on about 9 fish from a dozen sessions. Great day!

Captain Pugwash

Yuccaman, I was really starting to doubt myself blank after blank not even any pickups, I pulled a couple out of the Trent a couple of weeks ago a 5-5lb and a 9lb.
This is only my second season, last season I did quite well so maybe beginers luck mate, but this hopefully will boost my confidence or it may be precursor to another run of blanks lol

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
All the rain has made it really hard - I'm fairly sure they will be either sulking in heavily coloured flood water, or shoaled right up wherever the silvers are hiding, and either it's a question of landing on them and potentially getting a few, or sitting baits in front of them which they are just staring at. Sooner or later, they'll feed...

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
That’s more pike than I’ve seen all season! Everywhere I fish has been flooded out to the extent that you can’t even get near to the water, never mind get a bait in it. Just when it looks like things are getting better it rains again, usually in biblical amounts, and turns everywhere back into horlicks! A couple more sessions and, unless anything change, that’ll be it for me.

Your cracking day has given me hope, very well done Mate, made up for you!

templegater

Site Supporter
Great pics CP.
3 blank sessions on the local canal for me, different areas.
Only spinning and jigging keeping busy till the matches start again.
My aim to catch a pike or perch before march.

Captain Pugwash

All waters are so coloured up and in flood here and have been since October that my lures haven't been out the box. I think you need a stinky bait, lamprey was the order of the day yesterday.

Captain Pugwash

Hi Brian, yes dream day I suppose, had a bad run of late with two Tidal Trent fish of not much size saving me from madness lol.
Yeah PB now 19.14lb I tie my lamprey on to the trace due to the cost of it which if I hadn't and mr pike had swallowed it that could have been my 1st 20lber lol.
I've persevered with is bit of water as in one of my blanking sessions I hooked into a good fish and was going to lift it out as the water was brimming the bank but changed my mind at last minute, reached for the net and yes you guessed it shook the hook. I went into the tree's and gave myself a good kicking.
Net everytime now for me.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
There have been a couple of 17/18lb pike coming out of the canals around Warrington. Along with smaller fish.

Captain Pugwash

Well after my dream birthday session and three weeks in India I was bursting to get out.
Just an afternoon session between storms,
forced back on the canal due to the rivers being unsafe to fish, also the season is quickly coming to an end so just wanted the bank time.
Two fish lost, I think I struck too early then 18.4lb came my way via legered half lamprey. Made up.
My season as been really weird off to a flyer early on then a streak of blanks then a couple of fish saved my sanity, then boom three big birthday fish and then this nice girl today.
I've had my fair share of good fish of late so not complaining.
IMG_20200217_162648.jpg

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Youre having a cracking end to your season, can even see which rod went off, your fox drop off is behind you,I'll be on the lookout for that barge ;)

Captain Pugwash

Hi Brian, yeah my season started with a bang then like alot of others it dropped off to a series of blanks just like alot of others.
Then in Nov just before my hols it went mad couldn't wait to get back and it's been good since. The rivers have been very difficult this season for all which as forced me onto the canals which have produced some nice fish but a twenty still illudes me lol.
The barges on this stretch are moored and very rarely move in winter as the only way out is onto the tidal Trent, and most don't fancy that at best..
Regards