Canal lure jigging setup help

Albert H

I've bought myself an HTO Rockfish revolution Ultralight, a cheap Shimano 1000 Sienna reel, some Gunki 5CM lures, Fox Rage Micro Fry, Mepps spinners, & some 1, 1.5, & 2G jigheads #8 hook.

The canal that I'll be fishing averages about 2 > 3ft deep, is a touch murky & coloured, holds Pike up to about 8ib, lots of silvers, and plenty of Perch.

Can anyone tell me what b/s braid & fluorocarbon leader I should go for, and recommend a good brand?

I've also got some Mustad 15ib wire traces.

I'd also love recommendations on micro lures or grubs that you always use when the going gets tough?

Is there anything I've forgotten?

Many thanks guys.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can’t give you much advice on lures as there’s loads out there but I do prefer them on jig heads than drop shot set ups and prefer the more natural colours like white and silver myself. Braid and leader wise I tend to go for 8-10lb depending on what I’m likely to come across.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Coloured water use very bright lures. I tried natural colour lures on a murky canal stuffed with pike last week and blanked, they are very much a sight hunter methinks.

For setup I use 60lb braid as standard all the way to the trace but I think you could get away with 20lb on the canal, that's what I started with a year or so ago and had pike to 7-8lbs on it.

I've never considered a leader so no idea there.

turlwickdave

Bagga T
Site Supporter
I have been using Daiwa j-Braid for a couple of years i find it to be excellent i dont get any wind knots when casting mind you i always soak the spool in water before i go fishing,

Last edited:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
For drop shotting any braid up to about 10lbs will do and I use a 7lb fluoro leader... set the depth about 10" off the bottom and go up or down with the lead to alter your fishing depth as required... use bright flashy lures in coloured water and natural colours in clear... use an up trace (above the lure if pike are about) for jig fishing the braid will be fine, put a trace above the hook if pike are present and dont use fluoro... just attach the jig to the trace... be aware that really you should use heavier braid for jigging as you are more likely to snag up on rubbish on the deck... whereas drop shotting is pretty much close in and if using large shot on the fluoro it will slip off if you get snagged... hope this helps

Pickard1

If you are thinking more perch than pike then I would be using 8-10lb braid. 60lb braid might be good on a reservoir casting 40g lures, but not so good on a canal for small fish!

The best lure Ive found for Perch is the Relax Kyopto shad. 2in long in flourescent yellow (or "Chartreuse" as they describe it)

I use a flouro hooklength if there arent too many pike, but if you are getting pike then I use a wire trace. An 8 or 10lb multi strand wire is quite supple and can just be knotted.

products-2.5in-kopyto-055a.jpg

If your target species are Perch, 8lb. Braid, with a 5lb. Mono leader will be ample.
Kopyto soft lures will catch you Perch, and small Pike, without any problem.
3 gram Jig head , with a size 4 single barb hook will give you enough casting weight for use on the Canal.
Hope this helps? Buck.

rudd

Site Supporter
I am using 6lb hto braid on the rockfish revolution ul rod with 6 lb fluro.
The Ul with solid tip is so good:
Just ordered a rockfish 19 L with hollow tip - will use 8lb hto braid with that set up.

Would not go higher strains on these rods - they are designed for Ultra light or light lure fishing.

rudd

Site Supporter
mepps agila size 2 in silver or bronze
Fox spikey shads, inch long in fire tiger, white or salt and pepper.
Black or red plastic worm grubs
Anything that looks like a perch.

Albert H

Some great input, so thank you.

Went for 9ib Daiwa X4 j braid & 5ib Berkley Trilene fluorocarbon.

I was gonna go for the 5.5ib Daiwa x4 j braid, but 9ib opens up a few more options.

With regards lures, as well as the ones mentioned here, I've bought some Keitech angry Carrot, Berkley bloodworms, crazy fish nimble crayfish in green, and a Rapala jointed shad Rap in Firetiger.

Some great input, so thank you.

Went for 9ib Daiwa X4 j braid & 5ib Berkley Trilene fluorocarbon.

I was gonna go for the 5.5ib Daiwa x4 j braid, but 9ib opens up a few more options.

With regards lures, as well as the ones mentioned here, I've bought some Keitech angry Carrot, Berkley bloodworms, crazy fish nimble crayfish in green, and a Rapala jointed shad Rap in Firetiger.

???

Albert H

I just need to buy a cap now, & dress up like a cross between an old chav & formula 1 driver like 90% of those on YouTube that go jigging. ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
don't forget a good folding net and measure/unhooking mat

rudd

Site Supporter
Also braid scissors, pliers, wire snips, very long forceps, hook sharpner and polarised glasses.
A deep hooked perch on a lure requires the hook of the jig head to be cut as far down bend as possible then bits pulled out with long forceps.
Only happened to me once when a Perch of around 1lb took a shad very deep down its throat, no way of turning lure to get hook out so cut it!
At present I use an old small laptop case to keep lure boxes (mixture of small chinese meal plastic boxes and old tool boxes and all my bits in.

Recommend the improved albright knot to join braid to fluro.
I use about four feet of fluro as fishing deep clear water and cast under trees etc from a high bank, using yellow braid I feel perch may see it if using shorter lengths.
A swivel works but restricts casting drop options.

Lcn

If you are thinking more perch than pike then I would be using 8-10lb braid. 60lb braid might be good on a reservoir casting 40g lures, but not so good on a canal for small fish!

The best lure Ive found for Perch is the Relax Kyopto shad. 2in long in flourescent yellow (or "Chartreuse" as they describe it)

I use a flouro hooklength if there arent too many pike, but if you are getting pike then I use a wire trace. An 8 or 10lb multi strand wire is quite supple and can just be knotted.

products-2.5in-kopyto-055a.jpg
I’ve got hundreds of different soft plastics and hard baits for perch fishing but they are my no1 choice . Along but with white the yellow is the best colour kopyto. I’ve caught plenty of pike and perch on the other colours but if you see me ultralighting the chances are I’ll have a 2 inch yellow or white kopyto on . I use 12lb knot2kinky ti traces almost exclusively because there’s jacks in all the waters I fish and they love them aswell but I do occasionally use fluoro leaders if I’m fishing a tiny lure like the 3/4 inch crazy fish whitebait

Travel light and keep moving. If you don’t get a take after a few casts, move on.

The club I belong to has 16 miles of canal to cover, and after a few sessions you will get to know the best swims.

Buck.

Curmudgeon

I have been pulling out some clonker perch from the river Lea lately. The odd jack pike shows up ,but I haven't been bitten off yet and I am using 10 braid with 3ft of 5b flouro leader. The depth ranges from 2 - 5ft approx. Casting tight against the far bank and a steady, slow retrieve is all that's required as their eyesight is more than equal to spotting the lure in a few feet of mury stuff. I think the initial splash of the lure landing grabs their attention anyway.

I've tried a number of lures, but the one doing all the damage is this one Fox Rage Pro Grub Lure 8cm I will stick with it until I start to target the pike specifically. Then I'll ditch the flouro

20191010_145658.jpg

Leafy

Leafy
Iv got 10lb berkly fireline on my small lure rod... I love fox slick sticks for perch and I use 15lb thin wire traces ... I think the daiwa ones but I like to get good wire traces.. you get what you pay for, thin but strong. Small fox replicas are awesome for perch too.