Canal lake Spring Lea Fishery

pole

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any tips or advice for the canal lake at Spring Lea Fishery (Lea Cross, Shrewsbury), I have a club match there in a few weeks time. I know that the ‘Silvers’ match they have each Saturday is won with 5-7lb of roach, skimmers etc.

It’s been 20 years since I’ve used anything smaller than a size 16 hook. Any tips on baits, tactics etc, would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I haven't fished that lake there but it is very narrow, the far bank is easily reachable with a pole. You fish from one long open bank, with trees on the far bank.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Just had a browse of their website. Seems quite well organised & they supply both landing nets & keepnets. Fishery pellets only though & if you're using meat, the fat must be removed.

pole

Just had a browse of their website. Seems quite well organised & they supply both landing nets & keepnets. Fishery pellets only though & if you're using meat, the fat must be removed.

I have fished there quite regularly throughout the summer on the Orfe lake and Mallard lake. Mostly pole fishing for carp at 8m or down the edge. Typically banded pellet or sweet corn catches the carp. I’ve never fished the Canal lake though.

It’s a nice place to fish, they have a small burger van on site for breakfasts etc.

They are quite strict at the moment because of Covid, as soon as you arrive on site you have to report to the bait shop (which is a shipping container selling bait and small items of tackle), so at the moment it’s not possible to take a walk around the lakes unless your fishing

Oh and you also have to pick your peg before going to the lake (he has a table with a small piece of wood on top for each lake with an outline of the lake drawn on and holes drilled with wooden pegs stuck in which represent the pegs on the lake, you say which peg number you want on which lake and he takes the wooden peg out meaning nobody else can choose that peg.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Good luck in your match. As its silvers only, I reckon maggot/caster will probably guarantee a few to start off with. Maybe 4mm expander on a size 18 if there are decent swimmers about.

pole

Good luck in your match. As its silvers only, I reckon maggot/caster will probably guarantee a few to start off with. Maybe 4mm expander on a size 18 if there are decent swimmers about.

Thanks for the tip, I think I will go with that, good idea on the 4mm expanders to seek out any decent skimmers.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I have fished there quite regularly throughout the summer on the Orfe lake and Mallard lake. Mostly pole fishing for carp at 8m or down the edge. Typically banded pellet or sweet corn catches the carp. I’ve never fished the Canal lake though.

It’s a nice place to fish, they have a small burger van on site for breakfasts etc.

They are quite strict at the moment because of Covid, as soon as you arrive on site you have to report to the bait shop (which is a shipping container selling bait and small items of tackle), so at the moment it’s not possible to take a walk around the lakes unless your fishing

Oh and you also have to pick your peg before going to the lake (he has a table with a small piece of wood on top for each lake with an outline of the lake drawn on and holes drilled with wooden pegs stuck in which represent the pegs on the lake, you say which peg number you want on which lake and he takes the wooden peg out meaning nobody else can choose that peg.
I've pleasure fished it quite a few times since moving to the area last winter, like you on Orfe and Mallard plus some sessions on Horseshoe. It is well organised at the moment although I do miss being able to move around the lakes stalking visible fish. I have done a rolling report at Spring Lea, Lea Cross, Shropshire if you haven't seen it already.

If you see an old guy there with a wicker seat box, give me a wave :waving:.

pole

I've pleasure fished it quite a few times since moving to the area last winter, like you on Orfe and Mallard plus some sessions on Horseshoe. It is well organised at the moment although I do miss being able to move around the lakes stalking visible fish. I have done a rolling report at Spring Lea, Lea Cross, Shropshire if you haven't seen it already.

If you see an old guy there with a wicker seat box, give me a wave :waving:.

Thanks, I will check out your rolling report Dave. I usually look at the match results on their website as this is always up to date, the Tuesday match this week on Mallard won with 115lb. I fished Orfe a couple of weeks ago, they had a matech on their but only one side of the lake was closed off for the match. The winning weight was only 17lb, it’s been up and down the last 4-6wks.

I will certainly give you a wave Dave, and even an elbow bump if restrictions allow 😜😷🎣