Canal Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Hey all, i fish a canal a very big one (leeds and liverpool) all the time......
i know there is lots of different types of fish in there (eg. Roach , perch , bream , tench , carp etc)

When i go i use mostly 3lb line but im using 2lb line at the moment (0.12 mm) quite thick i know .

a 18 hook Sometimes a 20 ,22.... treble double maggot (red and white) and somtimes caster and bread punch.
and only ever get out roach and perch.......
Now to my question tomoro i wanna go and get bream 1lb+ (cmon beat my pb) can some on you give me tatics on bait, line, hooks, depth , float, and groundbait......
can any of you help plzzz i need to know by 9am tomoro i am on a low budget a 5iver lol..... i have some stuff of course,,,,,,,,
HELP ME!!!!!!!and the weather is supposed to be beautiful and i have picked this strech which is a marina with the bonus tench/..

Regards Gf
Roll on the replys!!!!!
angel2.gif

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Short and sweet answer openend feeder filled with brown crumb and maggots maggots on the hook. Legered obviously

chill out go fishing

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
1st thing essox i have never seen anyone in my life ledger on my canal it is very slity and i have no rod of that standard the nearest i have to that is a kingfisher float rod. and i prefer float any ways fanx

Regards Gf
Roll on the replys!!!!!
angel2.gif

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Firstly its esox not essox get the spelling right. i feel sorry for you if you havent seen any one legering in a canal as its a standard approah in marinas and any wides that exist. It seems that you are up to your usuall trick of asking for advice then refuting it and saying you will stick to your normal method. I would suggest you go to the local library and get some books out on angling read them and inwardly absorb. Theres no point in asking for advice then saying you wont bother. nothings more certain to turn the others against you.

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Now Now John calm down mate.
(what you doing up at this time anyway??)

Goin Fishin

You asked a question & John quite rightly tried to give you some advice on the best way to fish the canal.

May i suggest you try to make your requests for advice a bit clearer in future ie "i'm planning on float fishing the canal, could anyone give me some advice on the best float method to use", i know you mention what float in your post but John was giving you what he (& I) would consider the best advice for fishing a canal.

You don't need a ledger/feeder rod to use a feeder or ledger, the king fisher rod is more then capable of handling this kind of fishing (i know because i've used one).

If you prefer float fishing thats fine, for the tinca tinca the lift method is best with sweetcorn for the bait.

You say no one has ever ledgered the canal, well why don't you be the first? if your ledger is free running on the line it can sink in as far as it wants but it won't (or it shouldn't) drag the bait under the silt.

if you use a drilled bullet, feed your line through it the pinch a small shot about 18in from your hook the ledger will stop there & not travel any further down your line which then gives you 18in of line to lie on the bottom (it will have to sink a long way to pull the hook into the silt that way).

The other thing would be to use a drilled coffin ledger & do the same thing again only the coffin should lie on top of the silt due to its width.

Does anybody fish for Eels on the canal you mention?

Alan
You've just been moderated

Edited by - Trogg on 27 March 2002 03:01:28 AM

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Sos Esox.......

trogg people do fish for eels but i have never seen one.......

Regards Gf
Roll on the replys!!!!!
angel2.gif

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gaz

The only way to fish for Eels (anguila anguila) is to ledger for them with a dead bait or other form of meaty bait.

try it for yourself mate i promise you this when the Eel bug gets hold of you its hard to get rid of it

Alan

martin.

Account Locked
hi trogg
on our drain during summer eels are one of the bonus fish that i go for in the matches in the last 5yrs we have not had 1 come out under 1lb & they normaly ave 2lb my PB in a match is 3lb and ill use pole
i have had as many as 6 for a winning catch of 14lb+ in a 3hr evening match on the pole & one of them a 2-02 was foulhooked in the tail but im not fussy i still wieghed it & my baits that time were caster & worm.
just as an afterthought round our area it is very, very rare to catch eels till water temp gets up to 12c/14c.so i would not go for them till early may at earliest.

tight lines.
martin.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Eels on the pole!!!!

I bet thats a sight LOL
When you get an Eel on the rod you always know due to the rod bouncing up & down like mad, now as a pole will have the elastic going in & out do you still get the "yoyo" effect Martin??

Got to admit the only time i've seen an Eel caught on a float was a polaris set up & i don't really class that as float fishing.

Alan

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
GF if you are experiencing problems with the lead sinking into the silt, get yourself a 1/4 oz Arsley Bomb and a hammer. Flatten the bomb out but try not to hit the swivel and then tie it to a 6inch link. At the other end of the link tie another swivel and thread your line through this. The bomb shouldn't sink and if it does the link will ensure that your hook and main line are kept above the silt.

Dave

As its very silty your best off using dead maggots as feed as they will stay where you but them. And the Bream will have more chance of finding them. To kill them you will need to frezze them for at least 24hrs. If your going to fish with a float id fish as light as poss' with not much weight down the line. so your fishing on the drop plus fish over depth sink the line a and put the rod in a rest. So the float stays still plus it leaves both hands free to feed little and often. Take some pinkies and worms as bream love them.
If you want to know more about dead maggots have a look at this site
http://www.braddocksbaits.co.uk/

www.tjsangling.co.uk
scott@tjsangling.co.uk

martin.

Account Locked
hi
another way to get dead maggots that ive found brilliant & works
both hear and in ireland on still waters rivers &canals
this is blanched maggots
You get saucepan of bioling water put maggots in a sieve and dip them in the water for about 15-30 seconds they will swell then put them in cold water after they have cooled and remove any floaters if you squezze one you will find that they are very soft & white cream like juice inside.

trogg
eels are a lot of fun on the pole & can go as well as carp of the same size but i allways use braid for hooklenght or straight through
for eels wether on pole or rod as they will bite through ordinary line

tight lines.
martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.