Canal fishing

Krh57

Site Supporter
Can people advise what length of line they tend to use from pole tip to float when fishing on canals. On commercials I tend to use 4” or 6” dependant on fishery rules but don’t think this is long enough on canals due to any tow you may get.
Would like to hear people’s opinions.
Thanks.

smiffy

Site Supporter
A lot depends on any breeze. I normally had about 12 inches from tip to float but if it was windy it could be more. You also need a bit of space to put on a backshot if the surface has a skim on it👍 Another thing to bear in mind is where the fish will swing to on the top kit you’re using. That can have a bearing on the length of your rig.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Does water clarity play a part? I fished a lot of canals as a kid but am no expert. Think that water clarity plays a part. Usually a shorter lash for tucking rigs under the far bank but longer than I'd use on still water for other lines due to clarity, tow, and swinging fish to hand.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
over half my fishing on my local canal is long line to hand, and swinging in fish, top 4 5 or 6 length

your real short tip to float length is alien to me, even when i fish normally there is a minimum of 18 inches between them, more often longer, i dont like having the pole right above the float as it creates shadows on the water

matti

Site Supporter
Pole fishing on the canal, I keep a good 18"-24" of line pole tip to float, it keeps the pole tip away, hopefully not spooking the fish, but allows some movement for the wind

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Another consideration is how smooth your shipping out is ... bankside obstacles on canals may make a very short “lash” impractical in shallow water across due to risk of tangling.
i’d be inclined to 2 foot or so ...
Jason Wooster, however, always used a very short length of line (there’s a blast from the past!)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
No different to commercials. As short as I can get away with. Shorter lash equals quicker connection. Can be imortant with canal silvers

adriang

Site Supporter
There are a couple of decent YouTube videos from Jon Arthur about canal fishing where he talked about different lengths between the float and float, talking about being able to lay the rig out to settle and therefore fish on the job. (was fishing bread punch).

I prefer to get a balance where the hook is within a comfortable reach when I've broken the pole down. I guess having short sections would make this less of an issue, but my pole is ancient.

gixer 13

Site Supporter
No different to commercials. As short as I can get away with. Shorter lash equals quicker connection. Can be imortant with canal silvers
The important bit as neil says is as short as you can getaway which could be six inches or less under overhanginging trees or three or four foot on gin clear canals or in a strong wind.

Krh57

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the info lads, think I’m going along the line of 18”-24”
Appreciate all the feed back (y)

alsur

Site Supporter
Must admit when I fished canal which I have done a lot of in the past I very rarely used a very short length of line between pole tip and float normally used about 18 inch give or take a bit. Never felt the need to go really short and don't think I suffered for it .

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I tend to fish 6 inches or so when on commercials / margins. ( or closer if tight / sedges) Where I'm on a bigger lake / canal i can fish with up to 12 inches or so with a backshot to allow for my error when shipping / wind / tow.....has long as you remember and make allowance i dont think its made much difference to hitting bites really.....