Canal - First Bream/Pole Session!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Firstly, thanks to Kevin Chiu for the 8m Pole he just sold me!

So, 4:15am saw kev at my house and we were off to the canal after stopping for kevs fags at the garage [:p]

The rain was light and patchy, just as the weatherman had said, things were looking bad, he had predicted some serious downpour as of 6am [:0]

Anyway, before setting up we banged about a quater loaf of liquidised bread and ground halibut into 3 pegs along the opposite bank that we could fish if one of the pegs went dead, this paid off!

I started here, hard to get a photo with pole in my hands, proper jungle swim. Just behind that tree to the right is a set of reeds about 3ft deep, i fished worm on the bottom.

Datafile11.jpg

After 15 minutes, the rain had stopped and almost simultaneously, my first ever Pole caught fish was in the net, one of my best ever Bream, althought it was about to get beaten, here is the first Bream.

Datafile11.jpg

Kev fished Corn flavoured with the Pineapple stuff that Kevin sold me, he had this fishing the waggler on the other side of a tree to my left. If he wasnt netting mine, i was netting his, we had kept all our gear under the Brolly because overhead tree's meant nowhere to store the gear and they protected us anyway. Here was his first.

Datafile11.jpg

A few Perch and Rudd started to bash my worm as the day got on, a change to bread for both of us brought out better fish.

Here is one of them

Datafile11.jpg

At 9am we decided to pack up, move to the baitshop and come back, before we went, we potted in about 250g of Sonubaits 4mm Brown Skinz pellets, When we got back, the swims were bubbling to hell, we had been gone for an hour and it was like someone had shook up and opened a few bottles of coke under water, for the next few hours the Bream came so consistently, we stopped taking photos. At this point the rain was absolutely hammering down, we got drenched, big time! Heres some more fish!

Datafile11.jpg

Datafile11.jpg

Oh and here is some swans, had to take a photo [:p][^]

Datafile11.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, i must say, without the pole and pellets kev sold me i doubt i would have caught anything!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Really good read Ady.
Well done to you both.[:)]

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Thanks Peter!

So everyone knows, my PB Bream was about 1lb untill lst week of about 2.5lbs, i wasnt expecting anything that needed truly landing like those above, hence no matt that i did go and buy on advice from everyone here :)

Didnt weigh any but they are definiley PB's, they look pretty chunky a few of them!

G2LAndrew

Wandering Angler
Nice Bream, shame about the weather, good report as always! I have been thinking about buying a pole myself, I assume you would recommend this :)

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Definitley mate! For a couple of years ive been a skeptic, after being battered by nice fish on the rod i thought, what good could a Pole possibly do me, less control over the fish and all that. But this pole was great!

I used the power top 2 because Carp are known to patrol my swims early on, and that had Maver 12-20 or it could be 12-16 elastic. Really strong and hollow pink stuff.

A couple of these Bream shot off like nothing ive ever seen, i mean 3 times i thought i had one of these hard fighting canal carp, an after 15 seconds they came to the top, they took a few meters of elastic out but all id di was old on and ship it back in, it was great! Presentation of the bait was much easier, the wind would usually have stopped me from fishing anything but a feeder setup, however tucked in where i was, the Pole was perfect!

Last edited:

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Sure is drynet!

Notts Breamer, its a locally renowned section of the canal called "The Carter House". I think the Carter Hosue used to be a signal box that has now been removed, and the section can only be picked out by the rubbled remains and a small wooden bridge not far away. Its nowhere near where you are but i think the info may help others.

It is owned by Warrington Angling and day tickets are 1 if you EVER see a baliff, rumour has it a few men last year threatened a baliff for some reason and he hasnt been back down but i can assure you everyone ive ever met is friendly and out to help.

A lad that viewed us catching a few fish said, most fish average between 4-6lbs but the odd fish of 2lb and 7lb+ can be obtained if your tactics are right! The canal i know about 5 miles the other way is St Helens canal so im guessing its the same canal...ive always known it as the Cut, which is where ive always fished...this stretch is actually closer to me, and holds much better fish, why did i never fish here before?!

wandererfc

cracking report and pics adymon,i enjoy reading your posts and well done on your bream they look nice fish mate [8D]

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Haha thanks, i take great care in making my reports.

The Bream were spot on as well, almost slime free for some reason, perfect condition

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Todays session, thought id post a little report in here rather than a new topic

"Hit the canal at 4:30am hoping for the Bream.

Got there, went to find the liquidised bread, left it in the fridge...gutted!

Lashed out a few 4mm Skinz Pellets and fished worm at about 7m off the reeds were the previous session provided us with fish.

For 2 hours all i had was Perch after Rudd after Perch, and they were not even a nice size, i decided to switch to bread, doing so resulted in an instant take, i was made up as i have little confidence in bread flake. The fish stayed deep and took a good 3.5m of elastic before id even applied any real pressure, after 5 minutes of following this fish around my swim, moving VERY slowly, the hook pulled...gutted. It was chucking it down, i was soaked, and id lost the only nice fish so far, worst of all, it was probably due to me being a pole novice, ah well, practice makes perfect.

9am roles round and nothing else on bread or worm, i call my mum and drag her out of bed on her day off to come and get me. I decided one last put in on a 10" lob-monster, this guy wrestled me for about 30 seconds before he eventually went on the hook, he fought better than half the Perch that day. Shipped out to 8m and once the bait settled it sailed off, a few minutes fighting and i was bringing this fish to the net, nobody else was around so i had to photo it on the grass, which im gutted about because it is much bigger than it looks, it was a big big bream, certainly for me anyway, i wanted a photo with me with it, ah well! Here it is

Datafile11.asp

It slimed me before being released and i left the canal a happy person, hopefully the weather gets better for tomorrow and i will remember the liquidised bread!"

Ady

Formerly Adymon
It says Peter has posted but i cant see the post...am i on mute or something? lol hope the post turns up now

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Nope still not there :| If someone else see's it after my second report copy n paste it

JB56

I thought that the carter house stretch of the sankey was owned by Lymm Anglers.

Cracking session i'm chuffed for you.

Regards

John

tomgriffin

Nice fishing mate, the swan picture would look good if it was a painting [:I] [8D]

Last edited:

Ady

Formerly Adymon
JB56, arent Warrington and Lymm one big club now? sure i heard that somewhere, anyway, could be Lymm but there are still boards sticking out the water with the rules and stuff saying warrington angling!
Tom, everytime i go now i get a swan photo, there is 13 of them on this stretch and they always come and see me for some bread [^]

Status
Not open for further replies.