Canal Carp

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I have had a tip off about a canal stretch that holds carp up to 20 Lb. As I can't get on either the Trent or Avon due to Tier 3 Status countywide, is there any point of trying for a canal carp in Winter ? Have no idea about carp rigs so was going to keep it simple with a bomb on a Korum running rig kit and a hooklength. Tryiing to think of a suitable hook / feed bait. Would be grateful for MDr's thoughts,

Cheers

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
No harm in trying. Big bunch of maggot or worm would be my starting choice.
maybe bollie on a second rod. If there boats moored up try under the kitchen window.
there will be videos on you tube.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Thanks @dry nets was thinking of a rod out for carp with baitrunner and a whip or Cadence CR10 10Ft wand for silverfish just to keep the interest levels up. :)

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I would start with prawn on size 12 hair rig, works for me on local water. Just a bomb with 10/12" hook length on baitrunner.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Thanks for the tips chaps has to be worth a try and if I don't catch a carp there is always Spring & Summer to look forward to trying again, now I know about the location. :)

Last edited:

Robwooly

I got a canal on my doorstep and the carp are surprising. I spent one winter watching a pair of Koi from a bridge every day, being white they were visible and I thought they were plastic bags at first. What was surprising was how they seemed to be in the same spot all the winter yet they were very mobile, always on the move despite not going far and also very shallow, they could be seen high up in the water in the safety of an overhanging tree even on the freezing mornings during a heavy frost. I never fished for them just saw them as a experiment, watching them on my commute to the post office each time.

I would gear up accordingly with the silvers rod just in case, with the possible scenario that a carp could turn up on a single maggot job whilst pottering around for bits, in winter you could get a double in on such gear and it would be gutting to lose one.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I always thought canal carp anglers round here at least to be slightly mad, in a good way, as they're usually stunning fish when caught. But I have only ever hooked a couple, I think on the Stratford Canal, I was fishing a light elastic for smaller fish and had no chance of getting them in as was fishing against reeds, so I switched over to a heavy elastic and sat it out the for most the match hoping to hook another one, never did, and could have won the match with smaller fish had I stuck to them as I was on a good peg. Good luck in getting some and look forward to reading if you do!

tincatim

Site Supporter
The closest canal to me is the South Yorkshire navigation. It’s probably 30 odd metres across and up to 16ft deep in the middle. Most pegs I’ve fished you’re looking at 10ft in the edge, and it’s lined with corrugated steel boards down both sides. It’s not for the feint hearted! There are carp in there though, I’ve heard rumours of 20lb plus fish which I can believe. And I’ve occasional seen them on the surface over the summer months.

My approach if I were to fish for them would be to find an area that looks attractive and prebait for a prolonged period of time. Probably near a bridge of an area with some overhanging trees. I don’t have the time or inclination to sit for days at a time waiting for a bite, so I’ve never fished it for the carp. I like your idea of fishing a sleeper rod and catching some silvers to keep you busy. Like all fishing though, I should think the rewards are there for those willing to put the effort in.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Location is pretty easy. Any moored boats are an obvious choice, preferably where there are several. Big overhanging bushes and trees often hold fish. Id fish and feed pellet. Bream are normally in wider sections and turning bays so if you fish to features you shouldn’t be pestered by them. They used to be a match winning target fish on the Grand Union at Tring and surrounding sections and moored boats were always a flyer.