canal carp

Status
Not open for further replies.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
hey all,
on my navi (canal)there is a fair head of carp what are very hard to get in the morning they just surface and try and try but fail and you try all day there very clever. i was wondering have any of you had any sucess in catching Canal carp and could you give me some starters the canal is 4 -5 ft deep silty and a bit weedy in places.
Thanx alot

Regards Gf

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Garry,
How wide is the canal where you are fishing,and what sort of size do these carp run to????????????

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Are you tryng to say that the carp show on the top all day. If so are they feeding there. I would suggest dog/cat biscuits loosefed a few at a time so that they float to where the carp are. Alternatively floating bread. When and if the carp are actively feeding on the loose offerings thens the time to fish use a large float shotted at its base, a large hook size 6 for example with 1m from hook to float cast out allowing it to drift to the fish. Bicuits can be attached to the hook by superglue or a bait band, use a piece off the crust if using bread

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Gf,

On the Leeds & Liverpool Canal I have seen several Carp under the surface whilst walking the dog and they will feed on floating bread and Chum mixers but unfortunately the moment you attach a line, no matter how fine, (Hey I sound like a poet icon_smile_big.gif), they just shy away.

The same goes for the shoals of roach in there. You can feed a shoal which can be easily seen in the crystal clear water but the minute you drop a hook in there, they will come up to the bait and turn away.
I have tried before (for the roach) with a 24 hook tied to a Drennan Double Strength 12oz hook length, single maggot and freelined with a pole. The roach still swim up to it, turn away and go for the freebies. Bread punch in a milky cloud works in this case though.

You could always try pre-baiting an area over a few weeks each day with sinking baits say sweetcorn, chopped luncheon meat or boilies and try to get the carp to feed in that area from the bottom. Once they/if they become confident at feeding that area then try fishing it with a leger.

Anyone else any ideas how to tempt shy surface feeding carp in crystal clear water because if you can let us know, I would like to catch one as well icon_smile_question.gif

Cheers, Dave

MALC

I fish a stretch of the Grand Union Canal near me.
It's heavily match fished and got some good Carp and Bream and is gin clear till the boats turn out.

Very few are hooked during normal fishing time's although we've managed a few of the smaller high single figure fish.

We've found the best way to target the Carp which me and Steve has caught from 6lb to 18lb 12oz (on the pole) is to night fish from June through to September.

The way we approach the venue is to arrive at least an hour before dark and feed a high fishmeal based groundbait with free samples of corn and chopped meat init.

This is fed between the base of the far shelf and midway across the canal.
We tend to use mainly corn as hook bait and we've found that we catch the Bream first then the Carp move in.

The most we had in one night session (5 hours fishing) was 6 hooked by Steve with 3 landed best 18lb 12oz, and 4 hooked with 2 landed to me best 13lb 10oz but we both had about 30lb of Bream as well.

The only other way i know people catch the Carp are as Exos has already said and thats with floating baits at first light.

Hope that helps a bit.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
it bout 12m to 18m...
Dave have you fished a place in pudsey called Bucketheads today i was comin from a lake and i got there and i just had a look round i could see around 20 carp 8lb plus just toppin we threw some chum mixer in and they took it i had only 3 lol and we lent some bread off these folk and we put it on a hook casted out and there just looked and shy away and all the free offerings they took where off tomoz.
Cyaz all thanx for the info lads

Regards Gf

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Garry,
I've had some success threading crust onto the line and then fishing a bit of flake on the hook,set so that it's about 3 inches below the crust.I think that the carp think it's broken away from the crust so it's "SAFE".It's worked for me,give it a try.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
If they are line shy, you could try a surface presentation that does not leave any line in the water near your hook bait.

I've lost track of the pictures but basically you are fishing with a line ended with a weight and fished at an angle with the pole high up and the line angling into the water past where you want to fish.

Then a dropper line with your hook bait and just barely let it touch the surface so your bait looks just like all the other floaters.

Newt Vail

n/a3

deleted
if i find shy fish i have tryed puting lily pads /reads/sticks any thing found in the water with the line fixed to it they just accept it and take the bait

j willson

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Thanx all which is the best Bread and im gunna buy a bubble float tomozim using 10lb line and 6lb bottom is that orite

Regards Gf

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
'The Best Bread icon_smile_question.gif'

Go and hang your head in shame icon_smile_dissapprove.gif
I'm suprised you had to ask as a fellow Tyke - Warburtons is THE only bread

Failing that, nip into the bakers and buy yourself a fresh loaf icon_smile_big.gif

Dave

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Lol Dave but its hard to hook the crust is soft i usally use the French Stick bread thats Stays on the hoook.

''''How do you Hooks yours?''''' icon_smile_big.gif Regards Gf

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Okay for fear of not being invited to any more of the Warburtons family Xmas Parties icon_smile.gif I will reveal my favourite loaf for fishing - Tesco's Sandwich Loaf from the bakery section.

I don't know how or why but this loaf is ideal. It has the same texture crust all the around and it is doughy enough to use as flake but not too doughy that it results in a soggy lump.

As regards hooking it, personally I find that if you hook from the crust side, in, out, pull the hook clear and then back in and out again. Pull the line tight and you end up with the hook point standing proud of the crust but with it 'thereaded' on.

Try it and see, Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Gf,

Is that the BP petrol station?

If not be more specific and I'll check it out sometime this week.

Dave

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Yess the bp Petrol station.
Go Stanningly bottom way as your going to pudsey and on your way up

youll see the BP Petrol Station And its right next to it. It used to be private but its free now . i do warn you it polluted not with oil

but ppl dump stuff init.
it as tench , bream , perch , roach and carp.

Tench to about 9lb , Bream to 8lb and carp to 25lb,
if you like im goin down tommoro with my cousin if you fancy comin down you can more the merrier.

Regards Gf

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Two methods spring to mind to outwit crafty carp the first which I have used for years and it does work is to use a Gardner suspender float. They do take a bit of setting up and will not cast very far but boy do they work.

The second is a zig rig basicly a paternoster set up with a very long lead link. The combined length of the leger and hook length must be at least the depth of water you are fishing and a big buoyant bait(crust) will be an advantage the down side to this rig is that a stationary bait results which can cause suspicion in the carp.

chill out go fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Gf,

I'm running around a bit tomorrow so I'll have a bob over and take a look-see. I won't be fishing this time though but well worthy of a recce.

Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi John,

Stu was on about the Z Rig the other day as it's not one I've used but apparently it puts the line under the bait rather than above it. The theory is that the fish don't see under the bait but rather at it or above it so effectively they don't see any line.

Dave

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
CRAFTY.
i bought Iycf this month and got a handt carp book with the zip rig in.
If its rainin tomoz will it be handy to Suface fish to and if its chuckin it down forget it im stayin in Bed,

Regards Gf

Status
Not open for further replies.