Can you snap a number 20 solid elastic?

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
So here's a thought...

Without the use of scissors or a knife (or similar) could you break/snap a number 20 elastic?

Assume you attach one end to your person in a safe manner and the other to a fixed object, then could you snap it?

Clearly if you tried bungy jumping with one, I'd expect it to snap... but do you think you could snap it if your tried walking, running, cycling or swimming?

Your thoughts and ideas please.

(And no, I'm not going mad, it's just my brain works in strange ways).

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Of course you can snap it as its only around 10lb breaking strain depending on the brand of elastic.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Of course you can snap it as its only around 10lb breaking strain depending on the brand of elastic.
I think it's a fair bit stonger than that. I'm sure someone tested them up to 60lb breaking point. Then you also need to consider the slowing down effect.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
All elastic will snap eventually but in the scenario you are envisioning I think it depends on the speed of stretch - if you apply a rapid heavy force the elastic is more likely to snap as it cannot react in time compared to a greater load applied gradually.

Things like “the modulus of elasticity” are rattling around in my cobweb covered O Level physics brain cells but they are but a dim echo.