Can YOU just sit and do nothing?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Ok, I'm retired now, so not physically and mentally knackered on Friday nights.

But even when I was working, I could never relax by doing bugger all.

The idea of a long holiday in the sun, lying on a poolside sun lounger, having a few beers and chatting ... nah, just can't do it.
It's hot today, the road to the beach which runs past my house has been stationary for much of the day, so I'm going nowhere.

My family is in the garden relaxing, and I'm working down a fishing to-do list, clean whip and pole, boil hempseed, , tie banded hair rigs, varnish a refurb cane rod and some quill floats ...
Wife tells me I must wind down a bit, but I just can't do it.

How do other folks get on with "chilling out"?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m the same and even a moment spent doing literally nothing is a moment wasted for me, if you waste time you don’t get it back do you so make the most of every minute you can.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've got to be active, hence taking the bailiff job on. What with tree trimming, grass cutting, unblocking the water inlets/outlets, checking permits etc. Keeps me from getting bored.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Watching the Cricket today but if im Bored ive Got Albert and soon as he sees me get his lead he knows we are out and about and he's not bothered Where. Gonna light the Barby and have some dinner soon.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Being on call all weekend means I sit and do nothing, waiting for the phone to ring. I never do anything as I know as soon as I start it will ring. Have had whole weekends without a shout but I still can’t “do anything”, wish I had the “I’m doing something, they can wait” attitude of some of my colleagues but I haven’t. 30 years of various standby rotas and I’ve wasted so much of my life just “doing nothing”!!!

John Step

Site Supporter
Doing nothing is a pain and waste of time. However with the current heat over this weekend I find my energy just sapped enough to do very little until it cools later.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Doing nothing bores me to tears. But I can do lots of 'nearly nothing' - sat in front of the telly, or clicking around on the computer.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
' I can do lots of 'nearly nothing' - sat in front of the telly, or clicking around on the computer. '

So can I.

david white

Site Supporter
Being on call all weekend means I sit and do nothing, waiting for the phone to ring. I never do anything as I know as soon as I start it will ring. Have had whole weekends without a shout but I still can’t “do anything”, wish I had the “I’m doing something, they can wait” attitude of some of my colleagues but I haven’t. 30 years of various standby rotas and I’ve wasted so much of my life just “doing nothing”!!!

Had like you over 30 years of being on call on various differing rotas but also like you I couldn’t have the attitude ‘ let them wait ‘ ( the alarm industry provides a 4 hour response!! ) no longer on call and although financially it’s missed income I don’t miss the intrusion into my life

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ive been doing bookwork most of the day today. I was going to go and have a few hours on our local canal but, its been far too hot for me. A sit down and do nothing ? Im married. Who gets a sit down when they are married ? One of the reasins why I go fishing I guess. A bit of ME time by the water. The gaffer does know though that on Sunday its estimates, invoices and VAT catch up day. And knows not to disturb me unless there is a cuppa in it for me.

johng19

me@home.com
I find it quite easy to do nothing, when I say nothing I'm always pottering about. I still work like, but wish I didn't.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m fine as long as the minds occupied really but certainly can’t sit still for long

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Sit down with something long and cool and read "How To Fish" by Chris Yates... absolutely magical book and once read, you'll read all his other titles

62tucker

Site Supporter
I've got to be active, hence taking the bailiff job on. What with tree trimming, grass cutting, unblocking the water inlets/outlets, checking permits etc. Keeps me from getting bored.
You missed out. Chucking people in the lake. ?

62tucker

Site Supporter
Boat trip at 2 today. Yesterday I must of emptied my new bit fishy box 10 times. Must have 60 rigs in there and still added a few more from my stock box as it’s a long 5 hr trip. Thing is is I don’t lose anything I hardly ever change rigs. Be daylights or hokkis. But today I starting off on a homemade Portland eel rig. ?‍♂️
Can I sit and do nowt. NO.
This morning gone through 720 photos on a wildlife camera in case one had something interesting on. None did and I not putting it in a river rapids again.
Also been to beach for a dog walk.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Much depends on your idea of what "nothing" is. I frequently sit around and do nothing in the eyes of my family. A few of them would much prefer it if I did something more productive than fishing, reading, listening to music, watching the box, or buggering about on the internet. I can spend hours, days and weeks "doing nothing", but for me, there aren't enough hours in the day to do all of the "nothing" that I'd like to do. Put me in an empty room with no technology, books etc and I'll be restless and bored in no time. In almost any other environment, I'll rarely be bored, nor will I be doing nothing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had the choice to go to a village festival today or sit around and do nothing. It's too hot for me so would prefer to sit around. That's only because I know I have at least something to do later in the day, ie go to my sisters for dinner and a television series.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I had the choice to go to a village festival today or sit around and do nothing. It's too hot for me so would prefer to sit around. That's only because I know I have at least something to do later in the day, ie go to my sisters for dinner and a television series.

Or an hour or 4 on a nice river trotting a stick down a steady glide just waiting for the tip to disappear.