Can spawning time be predicted?

corkycat

Daft question probably, but when it comes to planning my fishing trips for May and June, I always seem to turn up on the day or days when spawning is taking place. On 8th June this year I made a 250-mile round trip to Larford Lakes only to find huge commons thrashing around under my fishing stand, engaging in group sex. Went on all bloomin' day it did, and I went home empty handed. Same when I went to Ireland in May; upon arrival in my village the pub landlord said: "Ah now you see the fishin' is poor at the moment on account of the auld spawnin'..." Brilliant, I thought. Wish they'd let us know in advance when they intend to spawn.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It's not unusual for fish to spawn twice if the weather is kind.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Not with any accuracy. It's dependent on a combination of water temperatures and daylight hours. It'll also vary significantly depending on the fish species. Realistically, I wouldn't book a coarse fishing trip, any distance from home, in May, June or July.

jononcb

Not really.
A lot of the time when on the Trent early season the barbel don't spawn till June or July!!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Many of the popular venues in Ireland such as Enniskillen depend on the Roach arriving in the area to spawn during May which means they have moved from their normal haunts out in the big lough and the same applies to all of the river systems, they can be fussy before and during spawning but when cleaning off after they are very hungry.
All the fish do not spawn on the same day it is usually spread over a couple of weeks Bream need slightly warmer conditions usually spawning just after the Roach but there is often mixed spawning which is where all the hybrids come from over there although most hybrids are supposed to be sterile not all as there are records of Hybrid/Roach crosses in some waters which came to light after some record claims were rejected after internal inspection of dead fish.

It is impossible to suggest an exact week when this will happen but according to someone from the EA I spoke to a while back they know to within a couple of days when the Barbel spawn in the Severn and turn up to remove them, strip the eggs and milt then grow the eggs on at Calverton fish farm for restocking.
The spawned out Barbel are returned to the river and the following year a number of the grown on baby Barbel are stocked as a return for the ones that are removed,being older and bigger this reduces the mortality by something around 75%. because they estimate 50% of the fry die or are eaten in 12 months and 50% of what is left die before they reach two years. In Northern Ireland they have been trying to do this with Bream because there is a shortage of male fish and more recently it seems to be producing skimmers in areas that had not seen them in any numbers for years.
There is no evidence of fish numbers being reduced when angling is allowed during the spawning period which can range from February until July depending on the species which sort of defeats the close season argument on rivers.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Be realistic!
Do YOU always know when you're going to get lucky?
You can flash the cash on new clobber and aftershave, lay out on a high tab meal and expensive jewelry, and you get sod all.
Then one evening, you sit there drinking a beer, farting and scratching your armpit, and you get the lot.
THEY decide, don't they ?

As for six months in advance ...
No chance.

corkycat

Be realistic!
You can flash the cash on new clobber and aftershave, lay out on a high tab meal and expensive jewelry, and you get sod all.
Then one evening, you sit there drinking a beer, farting and scratching your armpit, and you get the lot.

No chance.

Hmm. Sounds like I should be putting it down as a No, then?

rudd

Site Supporter
Be realistic!

No chance.
You could just use that cash on a Pro if thats your thing ?

rudd

Site Supporter
Daft question probably, but when it comes to planning my fishing trips for May and June, I always seem to turn up on the day or days when spawning is taking place. On 8th June this year I made a 250-mile round trip to Larford Lakes only to find huge commons thrashing around under my fishing stand, engaging in group sex. Went on all bloomin' day it did, and I went home empty handed. Same when I went to Ireland in May; upon arrival in my village the pub landlord said: "Ah now you see the fishin' is poor at the moment on account of the auld spawnin'..." Brilliant, I thought. Wish they'd let us know in advance when they intend to spawn.
No - but there are other species to fish for.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I think the simples answer is to only plan fishing trips in May/June for those species that are not known to usually spawn then. However, you can only approximate when the spawning period is going to be as it is subject to prevailing conditions. That's why the close season is for 3 months to cover that possibility. Booking into commercial waters, doesn't negate that rule of thumb, though it has been known for species to spawn more than once - again it depends

Ifyou were in the middle of an orgy, would you break off for a boilie, maggot or a crust?

corkycat

I think the simples answer is to only plan fishing trips in May/June for those species that are not known to usually spawn then. However, you can only approximate when the spawning period is going to be as it is subject to prevailing conditions. That's why the close season is for 3 months to cover that possibility. Booking into commercial waters, doesn't negate that rule of thumb, though it has been known for species to spawn more than once - again it depends

Ifyou were in the middle of an orgy, would you break off for a boilie, maggot or a crust?

Err no, but I probably would if it was a cube of luncheon meat.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Been to Holland many times when the Bream have been spawning. But,they don’t all spawn on the same day. It’s been my experience that if you cast past the spawning fish you will find fish that aren’t quite ready or spawned a few days earlier. Spawning fish are generally right under your feet so I haven’t even been pestered with liners all day. It’s a standing joke that you have to kick the Bream out of the way as you wade out to set your platform up ;)
Ireland,so I’m told,is a bit different and can be frustrating when the fish are spawning.
I just play it by ear. If I fancy a go at some Bream but they’ve got other things on their mind I’ll fish for Roach because they’ll be spawned out by then. Maybe Tench if I think it’s warm enough,often,they don’t spawn until June.

Simon R

Site Supporter
In stillwaters the order of spawning is generally pike, perch, roach/rudd, bream, tench, carp - dates ranging from early March to early July.

In rivers the order will generally be the same (add chub and barbel to the list somewhere between bream and carp) but the dates will vary hugely - back in the days when 'trout fishing' with maggots was allowed on the Yorkshire rivers we'd regularly encounter barbel on the upper river (around Catterick) that were spawning in early May and sometimes even earlier.
1573729471578.png
Caught that fish in early April 1990, went back the following week and the bloody things were engrossed in making little barbels so I could only stand and watch - and there were a lot that were considerably larger than the one shown above.

Barbel seem to spawn later in the lower reaches of rivers where the water is slower flowing and deeper - perhaps those rivers take longer to warm up?

Simon

The Landlord

Site Supporter
One of our commercials has two lakes. One lake, they spawned in early June, the other (only a couple of yards away), they didn't spawn until late July.