can pike fishing on the pole be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strat2

i have but i only caught a jack i used 0.20 and a small wire trace and a size 2 hook and a bleak.

can it be done properly?

i did it to get rid of the pike in my swim haa

phil-k

I have caught a fair few pike on the pole when fishing for perch using worm for bait and on 2 lb hooklinks and no.4 elastic lol[:D].Using VDE Preditor plus additive in my groundbait seemed to act like a magnet for them.
Using worm they seemed to get hooked nicely in the scissors.
V2T1A.jpg
I can't really see the advantage of using a pole for targeting pike though.[?]

mouse77

Originally posted by phil-k

I have caught a fair few pike on the pole when fishing for perch using worm for bait and on 2 lb hooklinks and no.4 elastic lol[:D].Using VDE Preditor plus additive in my groundbait seemed to act like a magnet for them.
Using worm they seemed to get hooked nicely in the scissors.
V2T1A.jpg
I can't really see the advantage of using a pole for targeting pike though.[?]

nice pike....pity he aint on a mat instead of on a hard landing net.

phil-k

I can assure anyone concerned that this little pike was returned in perfect condition to the water.[;)]
Unfortunately I did not have a mat with me at that time but I have purchased one since.[:I]

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Of course it could be done... but why anyone one would you want to if setting out to catch pike I cant imagine.

chrishowe425

ive seen sprats being fluttered on a pole, no idea if they caught tho[:I]

i would say its possible, i mean you can land carp on the pole why not pike aswell ?

Last edited:

Stewart Bloor

Please don't fish for pike with a pole. Nothing against pole fishing but it's just not suitable at all.

chrishowe425

Originally posted by Stewart Bloor

Please don't fish for pike with a pole. Nothing against pole fishing but it's just not suitable at all.

thats like saying its not suitable for carp.

theres no real difference just a trace and a fish instead of corn boilie maggot etc etc

J

Chubonator
Chris, Carp dont tailwalk with 2 treble hooks and 12" of wire attached to them.

Astounded Coach

it is very different to fishing for carp!
Unlike their fearsome appearance pike are extremely fragile especially during the warmer months. A long drawn out fight on pole gear would more than likely lead to a pikes death during the summer.
I just can't understand why anybody would want to use wholly inadequate and unsuitable tackle when the correct tackle is easily obtainable.
In view of the fact that this site is read by a lot of youngsters who no doubt take advice from it I suggest the mods delete or lock this thread and demonstrate a responsible attitude in terms of fis welfare.
Somebody will suggest whip fishing for tarpon next!!

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
I just think, given that a lot of people only pole fish nowadays, especially youngsters, thats where the idea comes from, maybe ?

Thinking/assuming it is a tool for everything and no need to buy or learn how to use a rod. We need to let them know different.

Bungy rope for shark anyone ?

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
please excuse that last line, its the devilsh flippant side of me coming out.

Definitely not a good idea to go pike fishing with a pole, use proper tackle.

mrhaze

i thoroughly agree with astounded coach on this one.

pike need to be played quickly and safely to minimise the length of the fight as it risks damaging the fish.

tailwalking pike may look impressive but it spells almost certain death for the fish due to the large amount of energy wasted.

if you want to go piking do it properly with proper piking gear!

gibby

No. Use a rod and reel, 20 pound (minimum) braid and wire trace.

werevon

We were course fishing for the day and were catching and returning plenty of fish. Then there were many large Perch and Pike that came into the swim I lost one or two small Roach to the large Perch.
The Pike were something else jumping clean out of the water after the fish we were landing, the passers by enjoyed it as it was a real spectacle, I only had a size 18 hook and a 1 and ahalf 1b hook length but i caught my best Pike ever at 61b it jumped out of the and it really made this lady smile [:D][8D] I did have number8 elastic in and i was using a margin pole. Does anyone know what creates this sort of activity as it was really fantastic?

chrishowe425

carp might not tail walk but you hook into a bigone on a pole then you really dont stand much chance of landing it.

so if its not right to fish for pike on a pole, then why should it be allowed for carp ? pound for pound they fight just as hard.

mrhaze

chrishowe425 : you are missing the point. it has nothing to do with how hard the fish fight, it's all about the fact that pike are far more delicate fish than carp and suffer extremely from prolonged fights. in warmer weather this is magnified and a long fight on a hot day on inapropriate tackle spells disaster for the fish.

sure the spectacle of tail walking is imrpessive to watch but it is not good for the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.