can i have my float back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill G

Grandad
fished a small open today 22 fished filling all the pegs on the lake i drew peg 4 not to bad as peg 5 won the last one . well i put 71lb on the scales for 3rd place and a bit of coin tucked in the pocket, now what is the point of this thread you might ask , well i lost eight carp [i weighed in 15 carp at the end] one of the said eight actually broke my laccy at the crows foot taking my whole rig with it, a quick threading job and back into action within two mins, about an hour later someone on the other side of the lake shouts any one lost a rig with a fish on ,i answer it was me and the voice from across the lake says ive just hooked your float on my shallow wag rig i shout back, you can keep the float but i want the fish attached to it banter over thought no more of it untill pay out time when i said just for a laugh were you the one that landed my fish with rig still attached the answer was yes thankyou very much the carp was about 4lb in weight , he had weighed in 73lb to my 71lb well i was unable to persuade the match organiser to give me the weight of my fish and to take it off of him lol what was the chance of him being the one to snag my rig and then to beat me by less than the weight of the fish in question. all i could say was can i have my float back.

ps not sure if this is the right forum for this post but hey it will be read by more on here and it will im sure give you a good laugh at my expense[:D]

mibut

Do you not think that there is something wrong if you land 15 but lose 8 carp?

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Ive asked this a few times but never get a response.

Whats the difference in elastic, why not just use the strongest and stretchiest all the time and never worry about it snapping or other related problems.

Some 4lb fish fight suprisingly well but for it to snap the elastic on a pole sucks nuts.

Glad i dont use a pole ^_^

A few years ago at my first every day ticket session, i was fishing 6ft out with cat meat when i saw this orange pole float bolting accross the water in front of me, it swam towards my float then disappeared.

You can guess what happened next, i landed it.

6lb common, but, i didnt think a fish like that would feed straight away after having 4ft of trailing line and a hook in his gob, is this not unusual? fish, still confuse me till this very day.

micklen

i didnt think a fish like that would feed straight away after having 4ft of trailing line and a hook in his gob, is this not unusual?
Ady when I was trout fishing it was a regular occurance to land a trout with another fly in it's mouth
It doesn't take them long to get feeding again once being hooked especially if they broke off on the first lunge

As to breaking the actual elastic rather than the hooklength, surely that can only be due to damaged elastic or a very out of balance rig
The elastic should really never snap
Ideally the only thing that should snap should be the knot on the hook or the knot between the hooklength and the main line

Mick

tag

Seriously mate if I were you I'd get some instruction on pole fishing and take a long look at your attitude to fishing and fish care in general.
[V][V][V]

Last edited:

ott

i think youd be struggling to take the win with the evidence you had.....

missabite

Originally posted by tag

Seriously mate if I were you I'd get some instruction on pole fishing and take a long look at your attitude to fishing and fish care in general.
[V][V][V]

Just wondering, are you joking?

tag

Originally posted by missabite

Originally posted by tag

[V][V][V]

NO!

Don

Adymon....Ive asked this a few times but never get a response.

Whats the difference in elastic, why not just use the strongest and stretchiest all the time and never worry about it snapping or other related problems

It doesnt work that way unfortunately,tackle needs to be balanced,particularly elastics or you will simply "bump" off more fish than you hook. There are many other reasons as well and I'm sure someone else can explain them.

"gibbinsbill" stated that only one fish broke his elastic "tag" I dont see how this warrants the attack of the verbals you threw in his direction. If every fish he lost had snapped his elastic and was left towing it around then maybe fishing lessons and his attitude to fish welfare may well be appropriate.

In the heat of a match and fishing from a fancied position it is sometimes hard to evaluate whats making you lose as many as eight fish, it could be a slightly blunt hook, a poorly adjusted/tensioned elastic or a myriard of other reasons.As long as every fish wasnt left towing expensive ( to the anglers pocket and the fishes well being) rigs and elastic around then I would allow "gibbinsbill" the opportunity to elaborate before jumping down the mans throat.

Must admit I never felt confident using the crowsfoot set up as I have always been more than happy with stonfos, even so it is a rare occurance for a crowsfoot (properly tied) to cut through elastic.

Sounds like a helluva match gibbinsbill and the story of the lost fish had a happy ending as the fish was caught again and untethered. Did you get the float back by the way lol?

missabite

Originally posted by tag

Originally posted by missabite

Originally posted by tag

[V][V][V]

NO!

Gibbinsbill finished third in a match, not the sign of an incompetent angler to me.

FACT...Some days the fish just aren't having it properly and fish will be lost.

FACT...Elastics can break, just as line can break, hooks can straighten etc.

It could have been, and it could be, one of the top anglers in the country who started this thread. Would you have said the same?

mibut

Gibbinsbill finished third in a match, not the sign of an incompetent angler to me.
Losing more than a third of your fish i would call incompetent.
FACT...Some days the fish just aren't having it properly and fish will be lost
Rather a stupid "fact" if you think about it.
FACT...Elastics can break, just as line can break, hooks can straighten etc
By checking your tackle this could be avoided, especially when "losing" so many fish.
It could have been, and it could be, one of the top anglers in the country who started this thread. Would you have said the same?
Yes, although i doubt very much that one of the "top" anglers would admit in public to being so "incompetent"

missabite

...Losing more than a third of your fish i would call incompetent.
Rather a stupid "fact" if you think about it.

Do you matchfish? At times the fish are very weary during matches, meaning less than positive bites. This often causes fish to be lightly hooked which can result in losing quite a number of fish.

By checking your tackle this could be avoided, especially when "losing" so many fish.

You can't always see imperfections in elastics and occasionally one will break, even a new one. Gibbinsbill only said that one fish broke the elastic.

Yes, although i doubt very much that one of the "top" anglers would admit in public to being so "incompetent"

I have heard it said many times by some of the best anglers that they have lost as many as they have caught. Most of the time they still end up with more than everyone else, so i wouldn't say they were incompetent.

mibut

Do you matchfish? At times the fish are very weary during matches
No i don't match fish, but i am weary of catching fish with other peoples tackle attached to them.

Bill G

Grandad
mibut -way off the mark
tag -meet mibut you two are obviously of the same stuff
don my man thankyou for asking yes i did get my float back lol

mibut

mibut -way off the mark
tag -meet mibut you two are obviously of the same stuff
Wouldn't mind you actually saying why me and tag are way off the mark.
if you cant beat em dont fight em in the first place

Last edited:

mibut

Will someobdy get this guy off the forum? (mibut)
Crowder, if you wish to make a point then at least give a reason.
Believe it or not a forum is for all members to have their say, if you don't agree with what i post fine, no problem, but if you care to notice i wasn't the only one to "cast" doubt on gibbinsbill's "ability" and as yet he still hasnt managed to speak up for himself. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.