Can I catch Tench on the Waggler?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
After a day bagging on Tench at my local estate lake last week, you might have thought I was all Tenched Out. I was kind of, but wanted to go back not only to let my dad get some of the action, but also to try to catch them on the waggler. I know I can catch them on the feeder, but would they play ball on the float?

As I said on my last report, I think location is key on this lake, so we wanted a peg around the same area as I fished last time. On getting there, the shallows were all cordoned off presumably because a swan is nesting with 5 eggs, and there was also someone on peg 24. So we walked down a few pegs and picked the first likely looking ones. It was only later I realised I'm back on peg 20, a peg I fished before that wasn't kind to me with only 3 Tench, and my dad on peg 19.

On plumbing up on the float, it confirmed the depth I'd guessed on the feeder, around 8'. It's pretty made how you can estimate the depth of a peg so well on the feeder. But anyway, this was too deep I felt, and unless the fish had moved around a bit, I had a feeling we would struggle.

Anyway, starting on the waggler at 8am, fish were soon fizzing on the sweetcorn I fed, and I had a few missed bites, but it was 9.26am before I connected with a small 3lb Tench.

2022-05-18 09.26.48.jpg

Meanwhile my dad had a Perch, and then must have had what must have been the smallest Tench we've ever had out of here. All Pike marked he told me as well. About 1.5lb.

I persevered with the waggler until 11am when I went on the feeder and third cast I had a Tench at 11.21am.

2022-05-18 11.21.00.jpg

I kept feeding the waggler line and would try it again if any bubbles came up, but it was rare they did, and even if they did, they would soon disappear when I picked up my other rod.

It was quiet for my dad too until he lost a fish to the weed around 14.20pm. This was followed by me getting two Tench in a row at 14.25pm and 14.33pm on the feeder.

2022-05-18 14.25.37.jpg

2022-05-18 14.33.23.jpg

That was to be it for me. 4 Tench. Meanwhile my dad, fishing the feeder all day, had 3 Tench and 2 Perch. He was happy with one of his Tench that was pushing 6lb, but we also photographed his final fish as below.

2022-05-18 16.18.10.jpg

So in answer to the thread title, yes I can catch Tench on the waggler, but only 1 today, the other 3 came on the feeder, but I think the odds were against me in the deep peg today so I'm not going to write anything off. Would have liked to have been on pegs 24 and 25 though!

I said to my dad sorry I jinxed it by getting excited this time... he said his fault for jinxing it... but not a bad day really, just get spoiled by red letter days!

Oh and almost forgot to mention, the sight of the day was an Eel on the surface in Pikes mouth. At first I thought it was a snake as about 2lb. It eventually got away from the Pike.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
No mate it was fishing at about 25m out with a big part loaded 10' Drake Bodied Waggler. All about locating the fish on this place and I don't think they're quite ready to come close in yet. Saying that, my mate who's always there was there today. He's more of a 'purist' than me and would fish lift method on a 50 acre gravel pit! He did have 5 Tench from the higher numbered pegs today though, a few people were fishing but no one really hammered it today.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
For me It's all about having the right venues! Tight lines though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's still pretty amazing what comes out the Dearne! I look forward to next seasons reports if it hasn't been destroyed by the EA. :(

AdamRussell93

A lot of it has, but I’ve had a few walks and found a few little spots I’m going to try in June. But I imagine I’ll be try some other stretches. There’s a storm drain nearby with koi swimming round in it 😂

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done Steve, I have to say that all those fish appear to be in cracking condition. :upthumb:

Total

Site Supporter
Well done to you and Dad for catching a few.....(y)....The waggler is a lovely way to catch fish if weather conditions allow....:love:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers all. If you get a nice southerly as per today, may the wind always be on your back, and sheltered too! :)

davej1981

Going on from that statement, when asked would you rather catch a 5oz gudgeon or a twenty pound carp and the answer is...........
Deffo a 5oz gudgeon. Ive been fishing a lake that is almost entirely carp for the last 12 months, but for me it has got a little boring now!